It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial life 'could be created within five years'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Artificial life 'could be created within five years'

www.telegraph .co.uk

Laboratories across the world are closing in on a "second genesis" - an achievement that would be one of the greatest scientific breakthroughs of all time.

Prof David Deamer, from California University, said although building a new lifeform from scratch is a daunting task he is confident it can happen in five to 10 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
'Artificial life' comes another step closer:
Synthetic life form grows in Florida lab!
Warning over dangers posed by creation of 'artificial life'
I am creating artificial life, declares US gene pioneer

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
(Apologies if this has already been posted, I've had a look and couldn't find anything on this article)

Well this is interesting.
Since reading the Terra Papers I've had this idea that the 'Gods' were advanced beings from elsewhere who created us in a lab, much like how we grow bacteria and stuff in our labs now.

This creates astonishing implications - treatment for disease, fuel, fixing the environment

Or maybe, seeing as we're searching for other planets capable of harbouring life, humans may be the next 'Gods'?
If we were to manage to create intelligent, sentient beings (which is likely far further down the line than 5 years, that's referring to simple organisms), and place them somewhere like Mars, or Europa, and teach them?

The future will certainly be interesting.

www.telegraph .co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
another decade of funding

nothing will come of it.

Frankenstien is fiction. Scientists are not God

Any side wagers? just kidding...I don't gamble with life

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn
Frankenstien is fiction. Scientists are not God

But what would someone have said in the 1950s if you told them that one day that it would be possible to fly from the UK the the US in under 4 hours, or that there would be a tunnel from England to France?

Or that everyone would one day have a little computer that they could use to access information on almost anything, and instantaneously communicate via audio and video together with someone on the opposite side of the world?

I'm not saying that we're going to have created superhumans anytime soon, I'm just saying think of the possibilities.

The idea of artificial life being real would have been proposterous a century ago. Now it could be reality in my lifetime, so whats to say that in another century or two we won't have the creation powers of the 'Gods'?

History repeats itself, and everything is just the same as something else of which it is merely a small part. Imo.

top topics

join