It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 Census - Got a strange letter requesting fingerprints

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I applied to work the 2010 Census a couple of months back and today got a letter saying that I was a "tentative match" for someone in the FBI criminal database.

The letter requested that I submit fingerprints to the census dept so that the matter could be resolved and indicated that "Because this identification is based on descriptors only, there is a chance that this record does not concern you."

So to do this temp job I have to submit fingerprints allegedly just to clear my good name, according to this letter. So I do some googling just to look into this, and find out that the Census had plans last summer to fingerprint it's entire workforce anyways. So now I'm wondering if anyone else who applied is also getting this letter inferring that they are a convicted felon just to obtain fingerprints, or if this is truly a case of mistaken identity.

I'll call the number on Monday and see what's going on, and if they can provide me with the info of what they think I've done. I do have a very common name, like maybe about 25,000 other Americans with my same name, so I can see this being an error, but you'd think they would get the SS# of the felon or something other than just finger prints to match up. Well, at least they don't want a DNA sample, yet.

eb

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
A friend of mine is doing the same thing. She told me that she had to give fingerprints as well. She said she's never been arrested. She does have an extremely common last name.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Sorry yo. Unfortunately finger prints don't work like everyone thinks they do. All finger prints are supposed to be unique, but here's the problem. Who's looking at the prints? When a finger print is entered for a national computer search sometimes 10 to 20 matches come back. Of course, they don't show that on CSI.

It's just like kitchen tiles. Every tile is unique right? Well sure, but how unique do they look to you? The expert witness of course will tell you they know what to look for, but do they really? Let's think about this. The computer has already gotten it wrong 10 to 20 times by returning more than one match. Of course, they don't bother to let you know the computer got it wrong 20 times in court either. That bit of information isn't important at trial right?

So all those prints look the same to the computer. By the time your an expert you're old. What happens to your vision when you get old? You really think that expert sees better than a computer?

When was the last time they were given 1,000 random known samples to match up with known people? How accurate are they really? Well it turns out they fail at that test about 20% percent of the time. Almost sounds like junk science to me.

www.truthinjustice.org...

articles.latimes.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I wonder what they would do if no one took the jobs.
If they would control the borders like they should we would not have to keep proving to the government that we are American's. But wait we are the ones they are watching.
It seems to me when they are afraid of there own people then there is a huge problem.
I would say that if we checked on this we would see almost everyone who is going for this job is getting the same letter. But I do not know this. I like you hope to see how many have got this letter.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I see, so another sly plot by the government to fingerprint us all eh? I guess the DARE and other drug programs for kids they had in the 90's didn't get as many as they thought they would.

My advice? Don't send them anything, send them your general sensus information and if they ask again, tell them to submit a warrant or a subpeona requested it.

They have no right to ask and expect thigns out of normal citizens based on your name.

And furthermore, what dothey think that potential criminals would actually actively attempt to participate in a census? How ridiculous, they are giving a heads up to all criminals when they send out such stupid requests.

Good job FBI....My hat goes off to you!

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

My advice? Don't send them anything, send them your general sensus information and if they ask again, tell them to submit a warrant or a subpeona requested it.

They have no right to ask and expect thigns out of normal citizens based on your name.

~Keeper

I'm applying for a job with them, so technically they do have the right to request fingerprints as a preemployment condition. What I don't like is that they are inferring that I have to clear my name due to some type of match in the FBI database, which I think is BS.
I've bought firearms and passed the FBI background check so I'm wondering how I failed the Census variant of the same check with essentially the same info provided.

eb

ps:
I can scan the letter if anyone is interested in seeing the whole thing.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Oh go ahead and submit to the fingerprints.

If you are a young person you'll have to do this many times in your life time.

It is just the way it is.They have to be able to track the honest people some how.

And the DNA sample they already have it,you did lick the stamp and the back of the envelope before sealing it didn't you?

Just submit.It won't hurt to much.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I got the same letter.
Haven't been arrested in 40 years.
My last name is not particularly common.
I am not comfortable with the phrase "tentative match".
They got my name, birthdate, and social security number.
They took photocopies of Social Security card and Drivers license.
Did everybody that applied for job get this letter?
Is this a sneaky method of getting fingerprints?
Is it because they don't want to scare off prospective employees with request for fingerprints when applying for job?
Or they need the prints but aren't qualified to take them.

I don't buy that "if you don't have anything to hide, you have nothing to fear."
That is naive.
It better be pretty good gig for me to agree to submit fingerprints and it needs to be more than a temp gig.

I have been fingerprinted before of course. Was in service and had top secret clearance for U.S.C.G Radioman duties.

Did everybody that applied for 2010 census job get the letter?

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razmear23
I applied to work the 2010 Census a couple of months back and today got a letter saying that I was a "tentative match" for someone in the FBI criminal database.

The letter requested that I submit fingerprints to the census dept so that the matter could be resolved and indicated that "Because this identification is based on descriptors only, there is a chance that this record does not concern you."

So to do this temp job I have to submit fingerprints allegedly just to clear my good name, according to this letter. So I do some googling just to look into this, and find out that the Census had plans last summer to fingerprint it's entire workforce anyways. So now I'm wondering if anyone else who applied is also getting this letter inferring that they are a convicted felon just to obtain fingerprints, or if this is truly a case of mistaken identity.

I'll call the number on Monday and see what's going on, and if they can provide me with the info of what they think I've done. I do have a very common name, like maybe about 25,000 other Americans with my same name, so I can see this being an error, but you'd think they would get the SS# of the felon or something other than just finger prints to match up. Well, at least they don't want a DNA sample, yet.

eb

I applied for it too, I didn't need fingerprints as I served in the military and a state job had me fingerprinted as well, but if you've never had finger prints done all employees there must be fingerprinted. Standard procedure for any government job as well as drug testing, background checks, and psychological testing. However that letter sounds a bit strange.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Any employer that has to lie to me before I even get hired isn't worth my time working for. Seems like a unveiled threat to justify getting your fingerprints. If they would have come straight out and asked personally I would feel more comfortable doing so. Would tell em to shove that card where fingerprints cant be seen if it where up to me.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
What, exactly, would "they" want with everyone's' fingerprints? If "they" were collecting fingerprints, isn't there a better way then trying to 'fool' you into submitting your fingerprints? Isn't there a better funnel for collecting prints than the 1 out of 25,000 that applies for a temp job, with the census?

Further, what diabolical plans are "they" concocting with your fingerprints? If "they" wanted to control you/read your thoughts/implant your with a tracking chip, aren't there easier ways of doing this than through the limited information your print gives them?

In the sane world, this is what happened: for whatever reason, you've been profiled with very loose standards. For whatever reason your descriptors ping their radar so-to-speak. Understandably, they are using a very large, easily crossed threshold: these are people who are going to have govt. credentials and approaching the public at large. Bottom line: they are screening thousands of applications with a wide net and you were wrongly identified.

They can absolutely ask you for just about anything they want to clear this employment hurdle. You can absolutely refuse and not get hired.

It does strike me as disingenuous the way they (as you relay it) worded the request. You mention the FBI and the average Joe is gonna listen. If your accurate in your descriptions – no reason to think your not – it could be interpreted as compulsory, regardless of your seeking employment with them. That's the part I have a problem with. That's not true; you don't have to submit to their request. You wont get the job (and I think its BS too) but, that's the way it is.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
We have a government contract job at our work and yes all people who are involved in the process have to get their fingerprints done. It's just a security measure and nothing more. Even if it's a single piece of paper you can't touch it unless authorized. Hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
WTF is going on! Do a google search and it seems like everybody who applies for the job is getting that letter!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
OK ,WENT TOOK THE TEST WASTING 6 HOURS I WILL NEVER HAVE AGAIN! , SCORED 100% AND TOOK ANOTHER MANAGER'S TEST SCORING A GOOD SCORE AS WELL, I got the letter a few weeks later, and like an idiot , I was all paranoid since I have never been arrested, i sent in my fingerprints not once , not twice, but 3 times since the 1st time came back unclassifiable(fingerprint smudge), and the second time, just came back with same stupid answer that my name was risk for hire(which I had to call them and ask about my results for the second time), with no flipping explanation as to why my name was risk for hire, even though I included a letter stating i needed a detailed explanation as to why my name was "risk for hire." Than today i sent my last fingerprints I intend to ever do off to the FBI. The US Census is load of crap and their rules and procedures are bogus and unprofessional. It's a shame our government has to be that way. The Census can just SUCK IT!! My G/f found this website for me thank god,Wish I knew about this site beforehand.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by mbravo5]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razmear23

Did you go get everything straightened out?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Standard procedure for any government job as well as drug testing, background checks, and psychological testing. However that letter sounds a bit strange.

Sorry, but that is not standard procedure for all Government jobs. Only "sensitive" ones. I have been fingerprinted and background checked for my Department of Health Job, and for my Department of Revenue job, but I have never had a drug test, or psycological test.

Hell, I am approved to carry my concealed weapon at work, and they still didn't drug test or psycho test me!

I agree with the other posters that this letter is suspicious at best. If the Census job required fingerprinting, they would have told you that upfront, and they would have done it to 100% of applicants. If they did not do it up front, they don't need to do it now.

As for the "match" of your general description? What does that mean? I am 5'10" Caucasion, with Brown Hair and Hazel Eyes. There are surely another 50 million or so like me out there? Now, they surely had your Full Name, D.O.B., SS#, and residence address, so any run of the mill background check would surely have eliminated all the other possible matches. They don't need your fingerprints!

Too many question marks about that letter, don't send them anything!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtcriminal51
I got the same letter.
Haven't been arrested in 40 years.
My last name is not particularly common.
I am not comfortable with the phrase "tentative match".
They got my name, birthdate, and social security number.
They took photocopies of Social Security card and Drivers license.
Did everybody that applied for job get this letter?
Is this a sneaky method of getting fingerprints?
Is it because they don't want to scare off prospective employees with request for fingerprints when applying for job?
Or they need the prints but aren't qualified to take them.

I don't buy that "if you don't have anything to hide, you have nothing to fear."
That is naive.
It better be pretty good gig for me to agree to submit fingerprints and it needs to be more than a temp gig.

I have been fingerprinted before of course. Was in service and had top secret clearance for U.S.C.G Radioman duties.

Did everybody that applied for 2010 census job get the letter?

With all that information, and your prints on file from military service, I would tell them to look it all up already. More and more, this census sounds fishy. Never heard of such things with past ones.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
How many of you have gotten the letter telling you your going to get a letter from them.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Sounds suspect to me. I guess if you want to work in the US or the Cesnus, you need to PROVE you are not a criminal.

Funny, I wonder if they do this with all their Acorn workers...

Id refuse

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Maybe it was your postings here, by you and/or your girlfriend?

Looks like people who visit conspiracy sites just might not have a good chance of getting a government job, unless it is as a shill.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join