It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gitmo detainees no longer "enemy combatants"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Gitmo detainees no longer "enemy combatants"

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In a dramatic break with the Bush administration, the Justice Department on Friday announced it is doing away with the designation of "enemy combatant," which allowed the United States to hold suspected terrorists at length without criminal charges.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This story leaves me wondering what the new designation will be for this type of detainee. POWs? That would fall under the Geneva Convention. Or will they be held as any other criminal would be and reserve the rights entitled to such under U.S. Law? I'll be very interested to see how this one plays out.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
What about all the people tortured by america, what do they get for being tortured by them for how many years.

America will always be torturing people, the victims just will not be able to bring there story to press.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Wow, no longer enemy combatants?

I guess this is further proof that water boarding really does work after all.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

America will always be torturing people, the victims just will not be able to bring there story to press.

Brings to mind Obama's executive order to shut down gitmo and other 'black sites', and put an end to extraordinary rendition. We'll see...

That President Obama’s Executive Order effectively renames this program ‘legal rendition’ should not in itself convince us that CIA torture programs will cease. An old bullet from a new gun still kills.

Source

Is Barack Obama firing old bullets? Sadly, I think he is...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
What about all the people tortured by america, what do they get for being tortured by them for how many years.

Oh yes, America will ALWAYS be torturing people. Just like Iraq and Pakistan will ALWAYS behead people.

Cry me a river - those detainees now have U.S. Constitutional rights and have every means to bring their story to the press, so knock off the violin playing for those "poor men" in Gitmo.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sjag9

Woo-Hoo! This isn't the first time during the past 50-some days that I've felt like celebrating a break from the Bush policies! I remember the day they started using the term "enemy combatants" as an official designation and said that Bush had the power to designate ANYONE with it. It was a dark day, indeed.

This is just one more indication of the kind of change America voted for. I can feel little threads break every time Obama does something to undo a Bush policy and it feels fantastic!

sjag9, I think they'll call them detainees.

top topics

join