It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghan Student Faces 20 Years in Jail for Circulating Woman's Rights Article

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Afghan Student Faces 20 Years in Jail for Circulating Woman's Rights Article

www.independent.co.uk

Sayed Pervez Kambaksh, the student journalist sentenced to death for blasphemy in Afghanistan, has been told he will spend the next 20 years in jail after the country's highest court ruled against him – without even hearing his defence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.independent .co.uk
www.huffingtonpost.com
blog.wired.com

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
23 year old Sayed Pervez Kambaksh was tried in secret and convicted without a defense lawyer for distributing material concerning woman's rights in Afghanistan and was found guilty of blasphemy because it questioned verses in the Koran.

Western diplomats insist they have been lobbying hard to have the case reviewed. But critics say their softly-softly tactic hasn't worked. "The Afghans know the money just keeps coming no matter what they do," said an American lawyer in Kabul.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm sure some of you might be familiar with this case -but it proves that the current government is no better than the Taliban.
As I'm sure some of you also might know after over 100,000 readers of THE INDEPENDANT signed a petition and while I suppose 20 years in jail is better than death, without allowing him to defend himself conflicts with everything the Western World values.
This makes for some very tricky diplomacy indeed...

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Wait...

US and NATO have been in Afghan for 7 years and this # still goes on?
The people have spoken..

They don't want change.

Leave now, come home Canada..

new topics

join