It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US sends destroyer in China Sea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

The U.S. Navy has dispatched a guided-missile destroyer to the South China Sea after Chinese ships allegedly harassed an American ship operating there last weekend, a Pentagon official said yesterday.

The USS Chung-Hoon, armed with torpedoes and missiles, is stationed in protection of the USNS Impeccable, an ocean surveillance ship. On Sunday, five Chinese vessels surrounded the Impeccable, which is unarmed. The Chinese ships approached to within 25 feet and blocked the Impeccable's path with pieces of wood, the official said.
www.washingtonpost.com...

Honestly, what is the US thinking right now?
they are snooping around waiting for Noth Korea to fire it's sattelite/test missile.
They have a run in with a few ships the other day with an un armed vessel and now they are sending in a ship with missiles.

Is Osama trying to become the most popular war time President ever?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
seems no one is really worried about the US sending in an armed navel vessel.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Off topic a tad , but kinda repling to your question

"Whats Obama doing"

He recently added more stricter sanctions against Iran,

As far as your post, its scary to be sure

He keeps putting his chin out and daring countries to swing first

Some country will

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
If we were sending a carrier group then I would be worried. 1 Destroyer is basically just to intervene if things get out of control. I think China just likes to push other peoples buttons.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

What does intervene actually mean?
is it a fire across the bow type thing?
or is it actually firing upon the chinese ship itself?

it would be wise to tread carefully when dealing with the people who are lending you the money to keep your economy afloat.
That does not mean that you just sit back and accept being pushed around, but one must be a little careful how you push back.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Its just the US military showing how much of a bully it is. Nothing to see here.. same old same old.

China should just pull its funding.. then the US military wouldn't be able to afford to fuel the destroyer

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Why on gawds green earth send a destroyer when a few fishing boats etc where throwing wood in front of a ship? Makes one wonder if perhaps there is something more to the story. From the articles in the MSM on the whole situation it seemed more like a comical play than any kind of actual attack. Ship one let loose the wood.. ship two get in their way... "USNS Impeccable" get out the fire line and hose em down boys!
For cripes sake give me a break already and why the hell send a ship called the "USS Chung-Hoon" ? Is this really a joke in bad taste or what?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

it would be wise to tread carefully when dealing with the people who are lending you the money to keep your economy afloat.
That does not mean that you just sit back and accept being pushed around, but one must be a little careful how you push back.

Imagine if China does what Obama did to Iran

Impose further sanctions, NO MORE MONEY, Obama would hit the floor on his knees in a heart beat,

Obama has poked more sticks in more hornet's nest across the globe than old W did in his first 2 months, We have at least 31/2 more years of his wisdom, Methinks , we gonna see more wars on more continents soon

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by branty

You do know that Obama will not take the people to war, thats not what Obama is about, he is about change.
It won't be war, it will be life shortening process to get you to think the American way.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

By "Intervene" I don't so much mean taking an aggressive stance as far as firing at or near them but having the ability to respond in kind like blocking the paths of their boats if they continue.
After all it is my understanding that this occurred in international waters, correct?
I highly doubt something like this would ever come close to a shooting war.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The US could send a carrier group no probs. People seem to forget they are still the worlds superpower on a conventional battlefield, and can wave a stick in several directions at once. The potential of the US arsenal is truly frightening.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by 18731542
The US could send a carrier group no probs. People seem to forget they are still the worlds superpower on a conventional battlefield, and can wave a stick in several directions at once. The potential of the US arsenal is truly frightening.

America would be obliterated by China - fact.

You are withdrawing from Iraq having been comprehensively humiliated by the shia militia - this being a country which had already been in the dark ages for ten years. A country which will now be absorbed by Iran in a re-unification to create Persia - the worst possible result.

Secondly the US along with a NATO are powerless in Afghanistan and have resorted to using remote controlled planes to attack wedding parties......pathetic. you withdrew from Vietnam, you backed down from Venezuala, North Korea etc, etc - in fact, you have never won a war - ever.

Your military is completely underwhelmed with no volunteers and only the most impoverished high school drop outs signing up in the hope of a degree or health insurance - you technology is excellent but not significantly better than anyone else's. Russia has always out performed the US in development especially in its pursuit of anti aircraft carrier technology as a financially sound counter measure.

China the largest Army on earth by a country mile - it has no restrictions on its budget and has been a space cadet for 3 decades and a nuclear power for 40 years. Beyond a nuclear war which proves nothing - China would absolutely kick Americas but - so much so that you would all be speaking chinese or pushing up daisy's.

Where America struggles to field troops, has no control over its technology due it ALL being outsourced, the CIA totally privatised to contractors, and no state run military manufacturing - China has almost 5 times the number of active military personal and probably 20 times that relative to your mercenary forces - Chinas military is completely controlled by the state - not just technology, manufacturing but also intelligence and coordination.

America has completely lost the plot - you would be eaten alive.

This is not an attack on your country, or pride, rather a simple statement of facts.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

I beg your pardon, the US kicked Grenada's ass

this is second line

[edit on 13-3-2009 by branty]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by audas

Originally posted by 18731542

You are withdrawing from Iraq having been comprehensively humiliated by the shia militia - this being a country which had already been in the dark ages for ten years. A country which will now be absorbed by Iran in a re-unification to create Persia - the worst possible result.

Secondly the US along with a NATO are powerless in Afghanistan and have resorted to using remote controlled planes to attack wedding parties......pathetic. you withdrew from Vietnam, you backed down from Venezuala, North Korea etc, etc - in fact, you have never won a war - ever.

Your military is completely underwhelmed with no volunteers and only the most impoverished high school drop outs signing up in the hope of a degree or health insurance - you technology is excellent but not significantly better than anyone else's. Russia has always out performed the US in development especially in its pursuit of anti aircraft carrier technology as a financially sound counter measure.

China the largest Army on earth by a country mile - it has no restrictions on its budget and has been a space cadet for 3 decades and a nuclear power for 40 years. Beyond a nuclear war which proves nothing - China would absolutely kick Americas but - so much so that you would all be speaking chinese or pushing up daisy's.

Where America struggles to field troops, has no control over its technology due it ALL being outsourced, the CIA totally privatised to contractors, and no state run military manufacturing - China has almost 5 times the number of active military personal and probably 20 times that relative to your mercenary forces - Chinas military is completely controlled by the state - not just technology, manufacturing but also intelligence and coordination.

America has completely lost the plot - you would be eaten alive.

This is not an attack on your country, or pride, rather a simple statement of facts.

Well for a start I am not an American but a UK citizen, so was not speaking patriotically. Secondly you failed to read my post properly, where I said "a conventional battlefield" NOT iraq or Afghanistan where they perpatrate cowardly acts I,E,D's etc.
Thirdly you mention numbers i.e the size of China's forces. Can I suggest you research the hardware of said countries befor quoting numbers of troops which are expendable. There's a saying in the UK "Up there for thinking down there for dancing" do your hardware numbers before spouting off on troops. and can I suggest you start with Naval capabiltiy.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by 18731542]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrabPaste!!!
Anything a spam touches turns to rat $hit.

What on earth is that meant to mean?
are you callin the US spam or the post itself?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
China vs. the U.S ..its like my father is stronger than yours rant from kids. I wish they would stop this crap and focus on the real problems, but that is just a pipedream i guess.

When will the powermongering stop?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by audas

Fact as in from the People Daily Propaganda manual? Its pretty clear you are quite ignorant about the order of battle for both countries.

Its possible, but not likely in the long run. The failings of Oraq have nothing to do with the military rather a failure of politcal leadership. On the other hand are you suggesting that the PLA is basically a Al Queda like insurrection?

Plenty of victories some losses, but really what exactly is the point aside from your clear ignorance of basic history?

In regards to the MQ-9 Reapers, pretty effective eh?

Russia has always out performed the US in development especially in its pursuit of anti aircraft carrier technology as a financially sound counter measure.

Such as?

Whats a 'Space Cadet" for 3 decades? THe ChiComs do have manned spaceflight but that is a new toy and has not been around for decades :shk:

Biggest standing army in the world. BUT no ability to project its power beyond its borders really.

Ive been here a long time but this by far is one of the most ignorant filled rants I have seen. How sad. Id suggest you do a little bit of research beyond your ChiCom propaganda book you seem to be quoting from. While it may play big in the ignorance circles its not going to cut the mustard around here eh?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

shhhh..............let the troll embarass himself. this is quite entertaining. almost feel like I was watching LOST.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

It is funny you say that, because each time I hear somebody say that America won the second world war I feel like saying something very similiar, and that they joined to save the UK when in actual fact they joined because the Japs attacked them, the patriotism and passion boils up leaving me feeling like shouting just like you did at the top of my voice similiar things...

But, I'd never be so stupid to allow myself to go on record as having said such utter nonsense.

The yanks could project a force to any point on the planet and totally obliterate any given nations military infrastructure before they even thought about getting the factories churning out more equiptment for their military.

They are the top dogs buddy and will be for an absolute fact for atleast 20 years, and quite possibly far beyond, thats if the world has ended or they having entirely folded financially ofc.

[ just for the yanks that might have thought I was showing a hidden hate in my first paragraph, I was only pulling this lads leg. I love you lads, how could I hate our offsprings eh?
]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join