It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Americans: do you support the right to bear arms?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

That's a great point you make right there. Let's here from some UK natives on their thoughts?

I support our 2nd amendment rights, and ANY ban on weapons is a step in the absolutely wrong direction IMHO.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The right to bear arms is a right given to man by God. It cannot be regulated. The Constitution mearly asserts that it is a right, that cannot be infringed. No government can take this right from man. If they do, they are no longer a government, but an enemy of the people that they would have the right to overtake by lethal force.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Yes, I do. I not only support the 2nd. amendment, I will fight to the very death to protect it. I will never willingly give up my weapons. If the Obama team thinks for a second this tactic will work, they had better think again. We Americans know exactly what happens when a nation gives over their firearms. Poland and France, for example? Do you think Hitler would have attacked those two if the citizens had guns? And what was it Admiral Yamamoto said when he was asked about an attack on the American....something about a rifle behind every blade of grass. That's about right, too.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The Second Amendment reads: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Can't have a "well" regulated militia without AW.
If you don't support the 2nd amendment then I don't support your right for freedom of speech.
That is MHO
And you wont be able to change my mind.
So chew me up spit me out. I dont care. IF they take the 2nd, whose to say more are not to fall?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
...i do not think assault weapons should be legal, and we should not let crazy people get guns.

Do this discussion a favor and define what you mean by assault weapon, because I think that what you think is an assault weapon is not what an assault weapon really is.

Once you've done that, then a cogent discussion can proceed.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I fully support the constitution and will/would die to defend it. So YES
it is what is american. I support all the rights and with those bear the responsibility.
Live free or die.
MSF

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
The question is not whether we should support the right to bear arms.
We actually have to support it whether we agree with it or not.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
If someone is in your house, most people will shoot first ask questions later. However, if I fully knew someone was cowering in a corner I wouldn't take a life needlessly. I often think of sexual harrasment laws at work, it doesn't matter what someone did or said so long as the party offended felt it was offensive. Why should gun ownership and protection be any different?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I think that when ever a government seizes weapons from its citizens it does so for matters of internal security and never for safety. Like the historical Samurai surrendering his sword after the consolidation of warring kingdoms, it was done not to protect Japan from cutting itself upon its swords, but rather to prevent them from finding their way to the new king of all. Usually this is done after a dramatic change in the political hierarchy of power.

The US has no need for taking away guns away from Americans, and never will. We are the Hessians of the world now and we need them more than ever.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Of course I do! there are far more gun toting people on the left than most would imagine. I'm all for background checks and the three day waiting period though, but am not in favor of bans on assault and automatic weapons. I may draw the line on rocket launchers and heavier military hardware for private citizens. I think it would be pretty easy to make an old fashion canon if one were so inclined.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
we will not surrender our guns to anyone
we will not let you take our weapons
we will not let you for any reason
spend all day in court, tally up counts in congress
at the end of it there will be bloodshed
no one will take our guns, there is no debate
it isn't too late, we still have all 220 million
sweet gun metal grey and parkerized finishes
ivory handled golden engraved
hot loads and hollow points
three o eights, you really dont ask me to hesitate
try and take my sweet rifle
you'll barely get a chance to stifle
as you show your true colors from the inside out
sprouting red showers...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The Constitution is NOT just a piece of paper. An armed citizenry makes invasion from outside forces very problematic. I support the right to bear arms and I support the right to not bear arms.

Seeing as I am a registered Democrat and former Green Party member I thought I should let you know that I cannot remember anyone in Maine calling for any bans on guns but I worry about other stuff too so maybe I missed it.

kind of random thoughts but it is 3 am.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikkiI cannot remember anyone in Maine calling for any bans on guns but I worry about other stuff too so maybe I missed it.

It didnt make it but it was proposed.

A gun control bill seeking to impose a ban on semi-automatic firearms was killed for this year`s session by a unanimous vote of the Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee after the sponsor, Sen. Ethan Strimling (D-Portland), acknowledged flaws with the proposal.www.nraila.org...

Another one that didnt quite make it

AUGUSTA -- The Legislature's 11th-hour decision to recall a firearms bill before the governor could sign it into law has angered a leading gun-control advocate in Maine.kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com...

Maine is not safe. No state is. The mere proposal of these is what kept Maine off my radar when I was looking to flee CT.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This whole notion of "assault weapon" is a straw man! An "assault weapon" is anything that one chooses to use to assault someone; a bat, a fist, a knife, even a piece of firewood! Quick, let's ban firewood before someone gets assaulted!

A gun is a gun is a gun is a gun. A gun, by definition, fires a projectile at high velocity. ALL can be used to assault someone but, conversly, they can also be used to defend. I suspect that it is the latter of the two that the government seeks to eliminate as opposed to the former. Why do I make that distinction? Simple, criminals will always find access to guns and will use them. Gun crimes and assaults will continue apace. The only thing that will change are the rights of free people to defend themslves from criminals or tyrannical government.

The very idea of eliminating "Assault" weapons is simply a way of getting the ball rolling for massive firearm restrictions. Remember, a frog thrust into a boiling pot fights violently to escape it's death while the frog in tepid water cooks to death as the heat is slowly turned up! It becomes even more evident when you review the posts on this thread - where some gun and Second Ammendment "Supporters" agree with the ban. It is a divide and conquer strategy. Split the gun supporters ino varying factions and slowly disarm the public with support from within the gun community.

The Second Ammendment guarantees our right to bear arms; it does not determine or impose restrictions on which arms we are to bear - nor should the government whose job it is to uphold the Constitution!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
If you don’t support the Right to Keep and Bear Arms you’re UN-American.

By supporting it you don‘t have to do it - to keep firearms, but don't you dare try to keep me from mine.

You want to fight this basic Right of being an American?

Do it from some other Country - No one is forcing you to stay.

peace

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Answer to OP:

Yes I do.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

All weapons are assault weapons. That's the whole point.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
yes I fully support the right to bear arms.

second line

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

What is an "assault weapon?"

Who decides what "crazy" is?

"Assault" weapon is the ANY weapon in the hands of "crazy"

I decide who is crazy...

I'm not, and everybody else is, unless otherwise is determined by me

So if you carry a gun, watch out, lol, I do not care how "nice guy" you are, you have a potential to become a criminal just like all other crazies

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
of course i support it. i love guns, to hunt and feed myself, but also to protect myself if need be. plus they are just plain fun to shoot.
and i said this in a different thread but if the 2nd amendment wasn't so important to our forefathers then why did they make it the 2nd? seems to me they made it very clear it is a very important right.
and in the revolutionary war we did have a military but if it wasn't for the militias we never would have won- they were on the frontlines more than the military.
my brother and i share a house and he hates guns- he won't even touch one when i leave them laying around- but he totally respects and supports my right to own them. so does my mom who doesn't even like me to hunt- let alone carry one everywhere- but she acknowledges the right for me to do so.
i think the reason the 1st amendment is for freedom of speech is so that the people can voice their opinion first and if that fails then the 2nd amendment is for the next course of action

top topics

<< 1   >>

join