It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helicopter Crash off of NFLD, Canada. 18 on board.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Helicopter Crash off of NFLD, Canada. 18 on board.

ca.news.yahoo.com

By The Canadian Press
ADVERTISEMENT

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. - A helicopter carrying 18 offshore oil workers ditched in the Atlantic off the east coast of Newfoundland early Thursday, triggering a large rescue effort almost 100 kilometres from shore.

"There's no sign of the helicopter," said Jeri Grychowski of the Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Halifax. A helicopter landed later in the morning at the Health Sciences Centre in St. John's and one person on a stretcher was taken away in an ambulance.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Yikes!

I hope they were able to evacuate, before any sort of crash.
But if it went into the ocean, that ice cold atlantic would consume a mans soul in less than 3 minutes...

God bless them.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by xbranscombex]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Oh dear. The weather around here this time of year is quite horrible. And it's cold and windy today. These guys, sadly, don't stand much of a chance. And considering the water temperature and conditions in mid-March, if they aren't rescued, I doubt that they will ever be seen again.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xbranscombex

People who work offshore have to receive safety courses that includes helicopter evacuation procedures. Normaly they wear survival suits that would allow them to survive for a few hours, if there lucky. My best wishes to them and their family.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by grandnic]

[edit on 12-3-2009 by grandnic]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The pilot radioed that they were turning around due to a mechanical problem, then ditched. They have found 3 life rafts and are trying to determine if anyone is in them. They have brought one survivor to shore so far, with no sign of any others yet.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The pilot radioed that they were turning around due to a mechanical problem, then ditched. They have found 3 life rafts and are trying to determine if anyone is in them. They have brought one survivor to shore so far, with no sign of any others yet.

According to what I just heard, they also found one body. Two rafts where spotted from the air but they where apparently empty.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

They still have 16 persons missing. After 24 hours in the water, with automatic beacons attached to their suit that didn't emit signals, they don't have much chance of survival. With the shock from the accident and the shock from the cold water, they're probably still in the chopper. Although, they have helicopter exit simulation in their offshore survival courses, with the shock of the crash and hypothermia it can be very difficult to exit the chopper on time.

My condolances to their friends and families.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by grandnic]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by grandnic

The story I saw earlier said they were going to search until 9pm tonight, but their chances of survival were essentially zero after this morning. One of the things that the military does that makes a lot of sense to me is they make all helicopter crews go through training to get out of an upside down underwater helicopter. They should have anyone that is going to fly out to these platforms go through this training.

Condolences to the families, and hopefully they can recover the remains for them.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

they make all helicopter crews go through training to get out of an upside down underwater helicopter. They should have anyone that is going to fly out to these platforms go through this training.

They do. All those working on the rigs, go through a training program which uses a mock-up chopper body and a dunk tank.

I watched a CBC News video last night which detailed the procedure. The mock-up even rolls upon entering the dunk tank, making it difficult for those going through the training to know which end is up.

I'll have a look and see if there's a vid available from the story aired last night.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

[ One of the things that the military does that makes a lot of sense to me is they make all helicopter crews go through training to get out of an upside down underwater helicopter. They should have anyone that is going to fly out to these platforms go through this training.

Condolences to the families, and hopefully they can recover the remains for them.

I think they do. All offshore personnel have to undergo basis offshore survival course. This course include simulation with a helicopter mockup that flips in a cold pool. They call it HUET for helicopter underwater exit training. But believe me, for someone who is not familiar with the cold water, the shock alone can kill you.

www.mi.mun.ca...

I have a good friend of mine work offshore on the North Sea and he did his training in Scottland a few years ago.

Also on the subject, this is the type of suit they are supposed to wear while flying over the water.

www.mustangsurvival.com...

[edit on 13-3-2009 by grandnic]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by grandnic

I see you've found it and much more.

If you look at the first link, you'll see a pic of the mock-up and dunk tank that I saw in the interview with the instructor aired on CBC News last night.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Crashed helicopter found on sea floor, recovery planned

www.cbc.ca...

top topics

join