It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object spotted SOHO Real time movies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Hi all,

Just been watching this gif movie and I spotted something that tracks across that screen starting in bottom left and tracking slowly over to the right.. The movie is taken in 30 min pics, found it strange as no other object moves like this in the frames.....

Any thoughts, I was thinking its a planet or something, but wondered why there was no other objects tracking across like this does.....

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Dai

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Looks abit wierd. It seems to be moving in a strait line and not round the sun.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
There's not just one but multiple "objects" tracking from left to right, above and below the Sun -- all at the same appearant speed.

I'm not saying they are actually objects -- I don't know enough about SOHO to say that. It does strike me odd that they are moving exactly horizontally and are all going the same speed and moving in the same direction. Plus they are moving too fast to be planets; the movie spans only 6 days. For these reasons, I think it has something to do with the SOHO image rather than being actual objects.

[edit on 3/12/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Stars. The motion is caused by SOHO's orbit. Interestingly, the orbit is not actually centered on the Sun but on the L1 point between the Earth and Sun. Halo orbit

Common mistakes

There are a variety of common mistakes which inexperienced observers make. They report:
* 1) stars, planets, or other known objects.
In every LASCO image you can observe objects whose trajectories are almost exactly horizontal. The majority of these objects are stars. (The rest being very occasional planets and asteroids.) Every C3 image has approximately 200-300 visible stars and every C2 image has approximately 10-30 stars visible. Stars will always move from left-to-right (due to SOHO's orbit about the Sun) at a speed of a few pixels/hour. Occasionally, planets appear in LASCO images and they, too, have a nearly horizontal motion. However, planets can move left or right through the field-of-view and can be faster or slower than the background stars.

sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil...

[edit on 3/12/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage --

Like I said, I thought it was quite odd that the objects were all exactly horizontal and all moving the same speed and direction. That suggested they either had to have something to do with the imagery itself, or -- as you pointed out -- something natural and normal, such as stars.

I didn't realize that SOHO orbits the Sun (thus background stars would apparently "move"), but I suppose that only makes sense that it would orbit, as it would take a lot of energy to fight gravity and just "sit in one place".

[edit on 3/13/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

new topics

top topics

join