It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress halts Mexican trucks in U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Congress halts Mexican trucks in U.S.

www.worldnetdaily.com

Posted: March 11, 2009
11:45 am Eastern

By Jerome R. Corsi
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D.

The $410 billion omnibus funding bill headed toward President Obama's desk for signing contains a carefully worded measure that would shut down the Bush administration
demonstration project allowing 100 Mexican trucking companies to run their long-haul rigs throughout the U.S. in direct competition with American truckers.

The issue became rancorous over the past two years as Bush administration Secretary of Transportation Mary Peters fought off repeated efforts by Congress to confine Mexican trucks to a narrow 20-mile-wide commercial area north of the southern border.

In what appears to be a major victory for Teamster boss James Hoffa, the Obama administration worked closely with Senate Democrats, including Sen. Byron Dorgan of North Dakota to toughen up language of an amendment Dorgan successfully had inserted in the DOT fiscal year 2008 appropriations bill.

Keeping Mexican trucks south of the border appears to be a reward to organized labor for its support of Obama's presidential campaign last year.

The move comes as a blow to free trade advocates in the Republican Party that have pushed hard for new ways to open the Mexican border for increased opportunities between the two countries.

"The driving public is put at risk when trucks from Mexico that don't meet U.S. standards are allowed to roam our highways," Hoffa said in a statement. "The Mexican government has not held up their end of the bargain to meet U.S. standards."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
It looks like Congress did one thing right. Here we are, in a serious recession/depression, people losing jobs left and right, and if this had been allowed, Mexican truckers would have been eventually taking jobs from American truckers.
Give credit where credit is due- The Democrats got this right. Shame on the Republicans for sneaking the original verbage into a bill to allow these Mexican truckers in the first place.

www.worldnetdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Democrates getting tough on the Mexicans?

I never thought I would see the day. Good for them.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I thought that it was part of their plan to integrate our country with Mexico.

I guess they finally saw the light.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Could possibly be due to the martial law in Mexico right now. Also with our own problems escalating with the expectation of civil unrest on the near horizon perhaps Homelan security simply did not trust more potential guns and terrorists on the roadways hindering our buildup of Military presence and occupying their time and efforts away from the primary goal.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
According to the article, the wording was placed in the latest bill, as a payback for Labor's strong support of Obama.
I don't think that the drug lord wars in Mexico had much to do with it. It looks like pure political payback.

new topics

top topics

join