It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The battle over cybersecurity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

The battle over cybersecurity

scitech.blogs.cnn.com

There’s a bureaucratic wrestling match going on over which piece of the federal government will get to handle cybersecurity.

Here’s the gist, gleaned from Wired and Forbes‘ coverage: On one side of the ring, there’s the National Security Agency, which is known for its extreme secrecy and its program to wiretap phone conversations of Americans.

On the other, there’s the Department of Homeland Security, which now manages computer security. The head of the department’s computer security branch resigned last week, complaining that the NSA is trying to steal control of the program.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.tech-linkblog.com
blog.tmcnet.com
www.freesoftwaremagazine.com
www.freebase.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Tech Fears Arise Over Norton and Pifts.exe
NSA offering 'billions' for Skype eavesdrop solution
MARCH 7, 2009 Cybersecurity Chief Resigns

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I have been reading a lot of news recently about wiretapping and unkown files in norton as well as skype. It seems awfully coincedental that all of these articles are appearing in a week and then this. I personally don't think that the government should control the internet. The internet is a space of its own and should not be controlled by any one agency. I am posting some links to some other disturbing articles...let me know your conclusions and opinions.

I have given alot of links to back up my thoughts and concerns with this issue.

scitech.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
There was never a time when some agency couldn't monitor what is passed on the net.

Hell you cant even use a simple sideband radio without a license! The thought that I can go out in the driveway and use a radio attached to the dash board, running off a car battery and talk to Europe or California just gives the government fits. Now that might not seem important now but think if the net and cell phones were down. These radios are nothing new and you can buy them here and there over the counter. BUT they are considered contraband and can be removed from your car on the spot by law enforcement.

Now what do we suppose the g-boys are going to do with a controlled environment like the net? Well they can set back and watch every bit of activity on any computer they like. And they do. They can also shut you down anytime they like by F-ing up your PC.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Is this old news or am I just concerned about nothing? Can anyone tell me some of their opinions on this issue?

Thanx,
Assylian

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
lol...

I can see it now...

"We've found a solution to the problem of too many agencies fighting for control!!! We'll add ANOTHER!

... and we'll call it, NAZI (North American Zero Initiative), where zero rights are their goal!"

Adding homeland security was a joke to begin with. Pick a name, and pour your resources into ONE agency for home defense, you know, like the sane countries do.

Your country has more patches than a Microsoft OS.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by johnsky]

top topics

join