It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plan to ban traffic cams advances in Mississippi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Plan to ban traffic cams advances in Mississippi

www.gulflive.com

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A proposal to outlaw traffic cameras is gaining momentum at the Mississippi Capitol.

The Senate passed a bill Wednesday that would prohibit the installation of any new cameras to photograph and ticket vehicles that run red lights.

Jackson and Columbus already use the cameras, and Tupelo, Natchez, Southaven and McComb are considering them. The Senate version of the bill says the existing cameras would have to be removed by Oct. 1.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The Mississippi House and Senate reached an agreement on this bill (House Bill 1568) today by a vote of 116 yay to 4 nay and it is now heading to the governor for his signature. The governor has three options now for this bill. He can sign it and make it law immediately. He can let it stay on his desk and automatically become law without his signature or he can veto it and likely have the veto overturned.

www.gulflive.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I guarantee the auto industry is paying the city officials to do this. The auto industry makes a fortune off car crashes and wants more and more of them. Every DAY 110 americans are killed by reckless driving but detroit doesn't care about that. If they had their way, drunk driving would be legalized.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45
I guarantee the auto industry is paying the city officials to do this. The auto industry makes a fortune off car crashes and wants more and more of them. Every DAY 110 americans are killed by reckless driving but detroit doesn't care about that. If they had their way, drunk driving would be legalized.

how in the world do you make any sense????

traffic cams are the way to an orwelian society. they cause traffic accidents because people are so worried they will get a ticket they slam on their brakes and cause pileups.

I SEEN IT.

and speed limit 45???? are you like 80 years old? i bet you like to drive side by side people on the interstate doing the exact speedlimit DRIVING PEOPLE INSANE BEHIND YOU

oh... and of that 110, how many were actually paying attention when they drive and not on a cellphone/eating/blabbing/putting on makeup. i dont see how half the people on the road make it out their driveway. let alone drive successfully without dying.

of the 10 years ive been driving... no accidents still (knock on wood).... lots of speeding tickets tho. i personally blame people who go under the speed limit for crashes. they look terrified to go 5 miles over the speed to pass. says a lot about intelligence if you ask me.

i for one am very glad these road nazis are being stopped SOMEWHERE!!

horray for no cams!!

S&F

maybe if you asked for stricter testing for people i would understand, but cops holding retards' hands and watching them is not the answer to make people safer.

[edit on 3/11/2009 by mahtoosacks]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
My impression is this is a step in the right direction, away from invasion of privacy. I hate driving through cities because I get paranoid about these type of things. I have enough stress already, thanks. Besides, they are a waste of tax dollars.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I'm not sure about the auto industry theory, but the rumor here or maybe even the truth here is that supposedly some of the legislatures and/or family members had gotten caught a few times and something had to be done. Personally I am paranoid to begin with and feel like those cameras are not so much traffic control as they are citizen monitoring devices to keep tabs on everyone. Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching.

top topics

join