It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Message Found In Lincoln Pocket Watch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Secret Message Found In Lincoln Pocket Watch

www.foxnews.com

For nearly 150 years, a story has circulated about a hidden Civil War message engraved inside Abraham Lincoln's pocket watch. On Tuesday, museum curators confirmed it was true. A watchmaker used tiny tools to carefully pry open the antique watch at the National Museum of American History, and a descendant of the engraver read aloud the message from a metal plate underneath the watch face.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
www.google.com
www.denverpost.com
seattletimes.nwsource.com

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I think this is a very neat story, it shows how history is alive around us and is updated all of the time. Its nice to see someones graffiti from when he first head about the bombing and it is also nice to see that sometimes rumour is indeed fact.

It makes me wonder how much more is still left to find.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Is it me or is their not a full detailed repro of what was written?

I only saw

"Jonathan Dillon April 13 - 1861," part of the inscription reads, "Fort Sumpter (sic) was attacked by the rebels on the above date." Another part reads, "Thank God we have a government."

part of the inscription says?

Why not come out with it all?

best regards.

Loke.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Loke.

If you re-read it, it says "...blah, blah..." reads one part, "...blah..." another part reads> Implying that that is the whole message, also you can just read it for yourself off the picture of the engraving

CX

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
To add a little conspiracy to the topic, and i am probably shooting in the dark here.....but thats very neat for engraved "graffiti" as the article calls it.

I know back then they often have beautiful handwriting, however is it possible to hand scratch comments that neat, or did they have engraving machines 150 years ago?

I just thought the comment, "Thank God we have a government" would be quite a reassuring message to put out to the less than happy public at the moment?

Then again, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar as they say.

Cool find anyway.

CX.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Does make me wonder if Lincoln knew it was there? I mean I never look in the back of my pocket watch, I just wind it up... today however I will

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I also noted that there was no full brief on what is written and it is indeed very neatly written.

I saw that someone on this thread was able to read the whole message, I was not, could that person please post it?

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by s4dreamlnd93

I posted this story yesterday. The article gave the full inscription on the watch. I think it's a really interesting find so I don't blame you for posting it.

I invite anyone interested to post in my thread:

Above Top Secret

top topics

join