It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For women; possible items for bartering

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Count me in.

I have a surplus of:

Shampoos- The cheap stuff, and a little more expensive.
Soaps
Books (to read by candlelight)

Please kill that person who said we can use lard on our faces as mosturizers

This thread should live so that when the SRHTF we can really barter!

Great idea!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

www.sunflower-soap.com...

Lard - made from rendered pig fat, Lard is actually a good moisturizer for the skin. Lard was the only fat used to make the Old Fashioned Lye Soap, in the early days. Lard provides good lather and cleansing properties, but will make a soft bar of soap, and is not easily soluble in cold water.

books.google.com... 2E&hl=en&ei=tKC7SfbXGJSOMpqc3bEI&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result#PPA436,M1
Skin Moisturization
By James J. Leyden, Anthony V. Rawlings

2.3 Anglo-Saxons and the English

Hundreds of years later, the Anglo-Saxons developed moisturizing products they used specifically for their hands. A recipe remains for " hand cream" that included lily of the valley, old lard, and wine.

Do you not know that soap can be made with lard, and some soap makers still use lard? My grandmother, and her mother, used lard for a moisturizer. It may sound gross, and some might not like it, but lard can be used for facial or hand moisturizer.

In a survival situation, and your skin is so dry, cracked and chaffed, and you had nothing, I would bet lard would be a welcome moisturizer.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by virraszto]

[edit on 14-3-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

No KIDDING

Well, i learn something new every day. About the hit on you, i was just kidding.

Thank you for the good information!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I figure if I'm traveling by my wits with pockets fairly empty, stink to high heaven and look like the crazy cat lady, I'll be pretty safe.

I may be the crazy cat lady, but I don't think I look like one.

I don't think you were talking about me, but I had to reply because of my avatar.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

It wouldn't be my first choice, but it can be used.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I will be wearing mascara during SitX.

In any situation.

Stock up on mascara.

Fun thread - thanks!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

Excellent idea.

I actually had dry eyeshadow that was as old as my oldest son (just turned 32) and a couple lipsticks no kidding I had bought when my second oldest son (29) was born.

Because of their age I did just now throw them away but some makeup last incredibly long. (the eyeshadows were Maybelline and the lipsticks were Revlon and Max Factor).

and your right, women in times of trial will need a little pick me up.

Also make up might help you better "barter" other things if times get bad enough.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Seriously, that's what you think all women think about? Wow how shallow! I am more concerned about keeping my house, paying my bills, and feeding my kids! I am also concerned about finding another job! I do wear make-up but I don't have to. I would rather barter livestock with someone then make-up!!! I really cannot believe how some people think!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

batteries?

-

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticalzoe

Seriously, that's what you think all women think about? Wow how shallow! I am more concerned about keeping my house, paying my bills, and feeding my kids! I am also concerned about finding another job! I do wear make-up but I don't have to. I would rather barter livestock with someone then make-up!!! I really cannot believe how some people think!

Aha I think you probably need to ensure you have survival stocks in bulk of Oil of evening Primrose ?

[edit on 14-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Wow! Nothing like coming back after a family emergency to see some interest here! The day after I started this thread I had to go take care of my mom for a couple of days, so I really forgot about ATS for while.

Great ideas and thoughts! I'll get back here, but now I've got to pay attention to my own home and get caught up

Thanks again!
FMF

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
HERBS FOR WOMEN

Beth root-induce labor (uterine stimulant) and dysmennarchea (cramps)
Bitter melon-for uterine contractions and bleeding (don't use if lactating)
Black cohosh-antiabortifacient (prevent miscarriage), cramps, antispermicide
Black pepper-for abdominal pain and cramps
Blue cohosh-induces labor, increases menstrual flow
Caraway-relieves cramps
Catnip-relieves cramps
Celery-uterine stimulant
Saffron-abortifacient

CONTRACEPTIVES

Baby's breath
False spikenard
Green gentian
Milk thistle, common
Orange honeysuckle
Pisum sativum (garden pea)-spermicidal and contraceptive
Safflower
Snake root
Soap weed
Star flowered lily of the valley
Thistle, blessed
Wild carrot
(there are others but I only know their Latin names)

HELPS FOR OLD BROADS
Beta carotene (but not if you smoke)
Bilberry
Black cohosh
Boron
Calcium
Clary
DHEA
Dong quai
Ginkgo biloba
Glycine
Hops
Jojoba (topical)
Soy
Wild Yam Root (phytoestrogen)

MOISTURIZER

Avocado oil and calendula oil

ASTRINGENT

Rose hydrasol
Witch hazel
Vinegar
Plantain
Tinctures of elderflowers, lavender, juniper (essential oils)

LICE TREATMENT

Tea tree oil, Lavender oil, Eucalyptus oil in base of grapeseed oil and Jojoba oil. Wrap with plastic 30 minutes. Shampoo. Can put in spray bottle and spritz. (Don't forget to put a few drops in laundry too). Actually, I've found that plain old cooking oil of any kind (or even Vaseline) will suffocate the little beggars. Need Dawn dishwashing soap to wash it out though.

ANTIBUGS

Bay-cockroach repellent
Bitter melon-antihelmintic
Bitter orange-mosquito repellent
Black hellbore-antihelmintic
Black pepper-scabies
Castor-antihelmintic
Centaury-antihelmintic
Chaulmoogra oil-scabies, tinea
Clove oil-antihelmintic and larvacidal
Coriander-antihelmintic
Cucumber-antihelmintic (WILD cucumber seeds)
Elcampane-antihelmintic
Garlic-antiparasite
Hops-antihelmintic
Horehound-antihelmintic
Horseradish-antihelmintic
Male fern-antihelmintic
Milk weed-for expulsion of worms
Mugwort-antihelmintic
Myrtle-worm infestations
Neem-antihelmintic
Oleander-insecticide, & for ringworm, parasiticide, antihelmintic
Oregano-insect repellent, & for intestinal worms
Pennyroyal-insect repellent
Pomegranate-tapeworms and opportunistic intestinal worms
Pumpkin-antihelmitic (tapeworms)
Queen Anne's Lace-intestinal parasites
Quinnine-inhibits parasite replication
Wormseed-antihelmitic
Yellow dock-scabies
Yew-tapeworms

DISCLAIMER

Please familiarize yourself with any herbs, essential oils or other treatments you intend to use in or on your body. Some of the above listed can be poisonous if not used correctly.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Well,I for one would VERY much appreciate the availability of some sun block as well as moisturizers of all kinds under the harshest of conditions.

If I'm going to have to go without the many "useless" to some items that are a part of my "normal" routine,I would at least like to save my skin in the process.

My personal opinion is that the more fit and healthy one is both physically and mentally should the "worst case scenario" happen the better the chances are of continuing to have a quality of life!

If you are miserably sunburned and/or have cracking,itching,peeling skin subject to infection,you won't be all that able to continue the uphill battle either way.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Personally, I would worry that any great amount of items I've stockpiled would be the temptation to do me in......some desperado might think it easier to just get me out of the way and take it all.

I have a few skills which I hope would be of value ....( no, I don't mean THAT kind!)
I'm getting too old for that!

I know how to garden, preserve what I've grown, knit, crochet, weave, spin wool or cotton into yarn, sew, make lye soap, tan hides.....etc, etc.....I would be far more useful as a source of info or as a teacher, even after all of my barter items were gone. ( as is my once 'girlish' figure!)

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Agree with you Frayed1,

All that other stuff so many would consider valuable would be mostly high maintenance. Not interested in any of that high maintenance baggage. The skills of which you speak would be more valuable as compared to the other things of which so many think valuable in normal times.

Most peoples of whom I know are more interested in the NASCAR race or American Idol today. They seem to think those things are value.

It would be an honor to learn from someone like you Frayed1.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
On another thread there is a link given to an article written by a guy in Argentina who has been surviving since their SHTF scenario in 2001. Probably some of the best survival info I've ever read.

Oddly enough, he does mention stocking up (to a limited degree) on luxury items. He specifically mentions lipstick and gives an example of when it came in handy. He did not "bug out" and goes to work everyday and still lives in his home.

He said it took a few months before the black markets began to operate in full swing and cops became corrupted thoroughly to the point where they don't want to write you a ticket; they just pull you over so that you will bribe them.

Link to article here. Definitely worth reading.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I have put up a fairly large supply of good cloth diapers (nappies) and very basic needs for the health of women and girls. I have my own family to consider, but I am talking about supplies for others.

It is well and good to stock items with an eye toward bartering, but remember that toilet paper was worth more than gold in wartorn former Yugoslavia.

I have been considering raising larger numbers of guinea pigs for barter. Hardly, what one thinks of in this area of barter, but one normal Peruvian guinea pig has enough meat to feed one person well, and the new breed from Heifer International is larger enough that one guinea pig can feed four people at a meal. While I am mostly vegetarian, I am keeping in mind the need for protein, especially for the sick and for other situations....

Also, in terms of barter I think toothpaste may be one of the best items for those who really desire that bit of the former civilisation's amenties.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

This is a wonderful list! I have gone to many sites looking for different such items, but this is nice and condensed.

I still think that women in particular will appreciate "feel good" items in tough times even if they aren't essential, even though there are alot of women who aren't into cosmetics, and that is ok too. But a lot of women are judging by the huge amounts available in the beauty aisles.

I would like to study your list and learn more about how to use these to create my own "goodies"....thank you for your contribution to this discussion.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Glad to be of service. Hope your mom is doing ok.

I'm in the process of compiling several categories of herb usage. Someone (FredT?) suggested items for men. Men are notorious (at least in the medical community) for not seeking medical attention for themselves until their problem is far advanced. There are many herbs that would prove useful to men and I will probably present it by this weekend.

I guess that if one intends to "bug in" rather than "bug out" then a list of fru-fru and non-essential items WOULD be useful for barter/bribes (according to the Argentine survivalist mentioned in the article I listed). Lipstick was specifically mentioned as being used for a bribe.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Whitewave, I have been looking into the natural items this week in my spare time and came across rose water and rose hip oil as natural feminine "helpers". The benefits look astounding! I plan on trying them this weekend for myself, and will share the results.

I'm sure you are well aware of this product considering the vast amount of knowledge you seem to have, so if you have any thoughts on rose water/rose hip oil, I would love to know!

My mom is doing a lot better, thank you-she fell last week and broke her nose, got stitches in her face, and has a lot of abrasions. I was so freaked out to get a message that, 'hey, moms in the ER with facial damage and they are doing CAT scans for brain trauma" !!
She has been checked out and now is doing a LOT better!

Anyway, I really want to keep the ideas going about this topic if you all are interested. I love the responses to my first post! I hope you all enjoy it as well! Thanks, Northern Raider, you crack me up and I always read what you have to offer; luv ya'!

FMF

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join