Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

For women; possible items for bartering

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I am new to starting a new topic but had an idea the other day while at the drugstore. I noticed that most drugstores have a discounted section in the "beauty" isles. Usually they are lipsticks on sale and items like that.

My thoughts were, what if one were to buy up a lot of those now while they are available and keep for a later date? All women, I don't care what you say, want to feel pretty even in times of distress. If one were to have those items "in stock" I thought they would be great things to have around in exchange for other items.

The only thing that might stand inthe way it the expiration date. But if they were unopened I would imagine that they would last for some time. Any thoughtS or other ideas? My aplogies if this has been already addressed!

L,
FMF

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

i believe that most women are too practical to waste a dime on such items when their children are hungry but you might have market in men who are trying to win the favor of a lady,

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

i believe that most women are too practical to waste a dime on such items when their children are hungry but you might have market in men who are trying to win the favor of a lady,

from this guy here, I am Not buying makeup

just too weird to even think about it

i figure if tshtf food will work better, or wine....

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Ummm...if and when TSHTF...lipstick will be the last thing on a womans mind.

Now, if you come at me with an unopened box of spring fresh, super plus tampons THEN and only then can we talk barter!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
You have an absolutely excellent idea. Big names in "survival" talk about stocking up a little bit in luxuries like cosmetics and perfume. You don't have to go overboard, but yes, absolutely. Cosmetics and perfumes (along with oils, lotions, soap, etc.) will most certainly be bartered.

Additionally, since they will be considered LUXURY items, you will get top-dollar (so to speak) for them.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by b4tee4

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

from this guy here, I am Not buying makeup

just too weird to even think about it

i figure if tshtf food will work better, or wine....

Strong drink and food will be in the hand of every suitor that is seeking her favor. But that elusive luxury item may be just the ticket that gets you in the door.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by fullmoonfairy
All women, I don't care what you say, want to feel pretty even in times of distress.
I'm a woman, and I don't need make-up or cosmetics to feel pretty. I wear them make-up occasionally, but not too often.

If you offered me some lipstick or cosmetics, I wouldn't be interested in trading with you. Tampons or sanitary napkins, on the other hand *might* be something I'd be interested in...but that would be a luxury item.

The essentials...like food, water, heirloom seeds, medicine, vitamins, certain clothing items like gloves and socks, and other items which could help me obtain food would all be things that would be valuable to me.

I wouldn't have the slightest interest in cosmetics though.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I read on a Market Ticker Forum post that soap would be something to barter with. I believe it was Karl Denninger who submitted that idea. I'd take soap over lipstick any day. Everybody wants/needs to clean up. It lasts for ages so even if you don't barter with it you will use it eventually. In hard times a bar of soap can be used as shampoo and laundry detergent if need be.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I don't wear lipstick now. When SHTF I doubt I'll even be shaving my legs!
A glass of clean water will be more of a gift than champagne. As far as trying to woo a man. AHAHAHAHAHA. I'll be trying to avoid them if at all possible. At my age, they'll be trying to avoid me too, I suspect.

For the younger ladies, they might be tempted by "pretties" and little useless luxuries, but us more mature ladies are indeed more practical. Besides, before there were cosmetics by Maybelline, women colored their lips with plant juices and died their hair with tannin from tea leaves or used peroxide to lighten it.

Yes, I'd like to feel pretty even in times of distress, however; we're not really in deep times of distress now and I can't pretty up with a whole bag of make-up so it would be a waste for me.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Hey, don't forget,post apocalyptic men might want to look pretty too.

Any hair removing products welcomed
(and anything for removing that green glowing effect.)

[edit on 10-3-2009 by AGENT_T]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Ya know, I realize that all of the essentials are important. I was really suggesting that a little luxury for those who are USED to such things might be something important. Haven't you ever been outside working in the yard, and as a woman, the best feeling is to come in and clean up with a little "something"? even if there isn't a lot to go around?

The little things in life sometimes are the most important. Maybe to me and a few select others. I don't know! No worries! I just thought of that while at the store and had the idea. (come to my house when it all happens girls! I also am learning how to make candles
)

Thanks for all of your thoughts,
FMF

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Ok, WINE!!! Ya got me there! I need to put that on my list for "women's must have list" for sure...coming from an expert on that topic.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
I read on a Market Ticker Forum post that soap would be something to barter with. I believe it was Karl Denninger who submitted that idea. I'd take soap over lipstick any day. Everybody wants/needs to clean up. It lasts for ages so even if you don't barter with it you will use it eventually. In hard times a bar of soap can be used as shampoo and laundry detergent if need be.

I've been stocking up on soap. I buy and use Kirks Castile soap made from coconut oil. It lathers great, and best of all you can use it to shampoo your hair. I was skeptical, but I tried it on my hair, and it really works great with no sticky, or filmy junk on your hair.

When I get to 50 bars, I'll stop stockpiling.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Well I do declare, I was laughing so hard at whitewave's post. OMG Girl I can sooo relate.

I don't wear make-up now, except for on extremely rare occasions. I think the last time I put on some eyeliner was over a year ago!

And I do agree with most of the 'female' posts on here. Make up and other cosmetic's wouldn't do it for me.

However, as was mentioned, soaps, lotions, chapsticks (flavored ones are nice), scented candles, etc are all very practical and probably would be more bartarable than cosmetics.

For soaps you can choose a wide variety. Dove, Ivory, Irish Spring ... the more luxurious ones (i.e. Dove) just may bring in a higher "price" than the more practical ones.

For lotions you can choose "perfumed" or (as with the soap) more practical ones. Even medicated type lotions may be in demand (i.e. something with aloe in it).

Chapstick ... I couldn't live without it! I have about two dozen tubes at home and don't think I'll run out any time soon! (they were gifts) There are tons of different varieties and they are relatively inexpensive. "Healing", Flavored, Colored, etc. Actually, I think the "colored" chapstick would be a better barter item than lipstick for someone who's wanting that added little bit of color combined with a very practical item.

You mentioned you were learning to make candles! Awesome! Learn to make scented ones as well! While not all candles need to be scented, it would be one of those practical/luxury combo items that can be "pricier" than the regular ones!

Oh, and feminine products would probably always be welcome by those who are still 'cursed' with those issues.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Thank you..I guess this might fall in line with my original thought process. After awhile, being "grubby" and trying hard to stay alive might actually get a little tiresome. So I just thought that a little bright spot might help even if it means soap, tampons, OR a little cosmetic relief.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by cnichols

The Chaptick is an excellent idea! My Hubby just brought home a couple for me and I do love them. When they are on sale I'm going to get some to bring home. I really believe, these things will be a sought after item whe the drugstores close.

Still working on the best smelling candle I can make. Also, I make jewelry too. You never know!
Thanks for the reply!

FMF

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fullmoonfairy
I also am learning how to make candles
)

Great idea! That's something that would be a great bartering item, as would soap.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady

I've been stocking up on soap. I buy and use Kirks Castile soap made from coconut oil. It lathers great, and best of all you can use it to shampoo your hair. I was skeptical, but I tried it on my hair, and it really works great with no sticky, or filmy junk on your hair.

When I get to 50 bars, I'll stop stockpiling.

You are on the right track. When I was a teenager I was the biggest tomboy you could ever meet. I loved to play basketball with the guys and I would give them a run for there money.

One evening after we had finished playing all of us were standing around and the sweat was pouting off us by the buckets.

One of the guys said to me that I played basketball like a boy but I always smelled like a girl.

The other guys laughed and agreed. They then asked me how it was that I always smelled good when they were always so rank after playing a game.

I laughed and said it is just a girl thing but the truth of it was just old fashion scented soap.

Guys may not say anything but a little scented soap goes a long way to adding to you appeal especially when all the other cosmetic niceties are gone.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I recently bought a house with my girlfriend, while she was aware of my pessimistic / paranoid / survivalist mentality we didn't talk about it much before we moved in together.

A few weeks ago, while watching the news, she decided to start preparing for the worse. While she was pleased that I already made preparation for myself, she pointed out that it was fine for me, but not for a lady.

Now, after a few visit to the stores my bug out kit has tripled in size, but I think it may be a good thing. I had a few bars of soap but that was it for the ''hygienics'' part. It is true that a lot of the items you mentioned would make great bartering, I feel that makeup may be a little too much for us. As for the tampons, lotion, chapstick etc... It is a great idea. Besides, sanitary pads can be used as wound dressing (if unscented).

As a famous french singer once said: ''beautiful girls don't need makeup''

Salute and good night

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I doubt lipstick and perfume will sell at all in sit X. Why exchange something valuable for luxuries like that when it may buy you food instead?

At least when you are found dead of starvation, you would look pretty...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join