It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One for the Hippies! Human Energy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Ok, I'm going to just ask for an explanation of something from anyone who thinks they know...

The issue is human 'energy'. I'm listening to this doctor on HLN who has written a book about how we can conserve and better use our energy. She said things like:

"Technology can drain your energy".

and

"That's why I wrote a chapter on 'Energy Vampires' ".

Come on, I mean really, energy vampires? People who suck your energy and put it into themselves? And this crap is on CNN!

I'm not at all ignorant of the concept, as I have an Aunt whom I constantly have to reassure that the position of Saturn in the sky isn't bringing bad tidings, and that I'm sure her 'heart chakra' is doing just fine without her needing to do something stupid to fix it. I've seen the Kirlian photograpy, and I watched the old men doing their Chi-Gong, but I really have never seen or heard of any real evidence of this 'energy' beyond normal biochemical reactions in the body, and certainly I don't think people are manipulating this energy. That would be like telling lightning where to go. Sorry, energy always follows the path of least resistance.

So, my question would probably be, has there ever been a measurement of this energy taken? If we're going to call it 'energy', we'll have to hold it to the standard of definition, and all the other forms of energy that we can measure. Anyone ever see anyone else 'use' the energy? Like a Jedi Force push or something?

Hatin' the crapola,
DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
ARe you talking about are body heat energy like in the matrix?

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
No, I'm not talking about a movie, I'm talking about this vague, indiscernable, unidentifiable, invisible, immeasurable 'personal energy' touted by practitioners of a New Age crap line...

DC

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This is a very sensative area,with many opions and views.

I personaly belive In Chi/Ki/Qi,an interenal engery common in China. I have seen Shaolin Monks pro-form amazing stunts by controling there Chi.There was a program about Shaolin Monks on a while ago (Forget the channel) where they used heat sensitve quipment to follow the movement of there Chi.

On my reserach I found many many sites which are run be teenagers that have adpted Chi to a engery used a show called Dragonball which is complete.....

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
DC, I have a lot of respect for you, so I will stay out of this one. However, words like "crap" and "crapola" do not lend themselves to an open-minded discussion.

Because something is not seen or is without plausible explanation, does not mean that it isn't legitimate nor imply that it doesn't exist.
To those who believe in any life force, energy, presence or whatever the power may be called, it is as real as anything could be.

The term �energy vampires� probably refers less to supernatural than to the obnoxious and needy; ever know someone who always had problems and seems to feed off of your advice and ideas?

The same statements concerning lack of rational explanations could be applied to many religions, as the new age movement does not have the market cornered on the paranormal or the supernatural. From that perspective, most religious beliefs transcend rational thought.

Respectfully,
BG

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vowles
This is a very sensative area,with many opions and views.

I personaly belive In Chi/Ki/Qi,an interenal engery common in China. I have seen Shaolin Monks pro-form amazing stunts by controling there Chi.There was a program about Shaolin Monks on a while ago (Forget the channel) where they used heat sensitve quipment to follow the movement of there Chi.

On my reserach I found many many sites which are run be teenagers that have adpted Chi to a engery used a show called Dragonball which is complete.....

Why is it sensitive? All I'm asking is does it exist... Can we measure it? Have we measured it? We have very specialized and sensitive instrumentation that can detect energy on almost any level. If it were energy, we would all know about it by now, wouldn't we? Why don't we? Could it be possible that it is all a case of wishful thinking? An ancient myth that has carried through time on the wings of dreams? If by sensitive you mean I may risk offending someone by supposing this energy doesn't exist, then I would say anyone offended would have to take a look at their own level of denial.

You believe in the energy... But why? And so many do! All the people that I know combined have not produced a shred of evidence of this energy. And this doctor talking about people who 'steal' your energy. More like the person whos energy is being stolen is pent up from the anxiety when they realize they lack the assertiveness to tell the poor energy vampire that they are bugging the hell out of them and they would like them to go away. (Can I buy a pronoun, Pat?)

I'll have to see that show you're talking about. As far as the Monks, all I need to know about them is that they are top-rate athletes and they have trained to be such since they were children. That's their only excuse!

Uncovinced in Utah

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
By amazing I mean stunts they tie ropes around there necks and jump off a stole without there air ways being pushed together,not to mention there necks not breaking (Even though there not very heavy people).

As for evidence there are many thing in this world that people belive in without it.
I myself started a Tai Chi class about five years ago that deals with this Chi,Since I left I havnt fell ill since.This is why I belive there is such thing as a internal engery. Another form is this is people beliving in having a Soul.

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by Vowles]

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by Vowles]

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by beergoggles
Because something is not seen or is without plausible explanation, does not mean that it isn't legitimate nor imply that it doesn't exist.
To those who believe in any life force, energy, presence or whatever the power may be called, it is as real as anything could be.

Ok, get ready to jettison any respect you had for me to this point, because what you just said is crap, and I'll tell you why...

Because something is implausible and unseen generally implies that the subject does not exist. Something that is seen and is plausible describes something that does exist. If this stuff exists, and is so ancient, and known to almost every culture in the World's history (all, coincidentally, with varying and vague descriptions of it's properties), why don't WE know anything about it? Is it because we've blinded ourselves with science? Not likely.

And I'm sorry belief does not cause electrons to flow through the copper. Energy does not derive itself from a daydream. If something is real, it is not simply because you believe it is real, it is because it IS real, and you percieve it as such. All these people who concentrate on their energy thinking it's making them healthier and more aware are feeding themselves mental placebo. Which, by the way, I do believe in wholeheartedly. I see it all the time. I'm seeing it right now in these people who have to concern themselves with withering due to contact with energy vampires.

Again, crap. That's my word for it, there is no better description.

And you're stuff ain't crap, BG... I just like to fight.

DeltaChaos

new topics

top topics

join