It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Divide & Conquer With Stereotypes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
So this is something that has been crossing my mind a lot lately. Why do most people stereotype certain groups with certain issues? A lot of people stereotype homosexuals and the like with Obama supporters and anti-gun legislation. This continues on and on. They stereotype Blacks with Obama, Hispanics with wanting to destroy the US, and on and on and on. Why can't people just see other people as individuals that want to work towards a common goal. I'm tired of the Bible being pushed down my throat for being gay and a drag queen. When are a lot of these people going to realize that some of us are fighting for the same cause? Divide and conquer is what it is all about my friends. I ask you to think about what I have said and lay behind you any prejudices and the like that you have and decide that we need to face what is in front of us instead of meddling in people's personal affairs. There are a lot of truly wonderful people out there. I'm going to use Rosie O'Donell as an example. Whenever she spoke her opinion about 9/11 she was criticized by all sides. Her views were considered insane by the more conservative populations because she is gay. The same is true for the more liberal populations because she was going against the grain. When can we just accept the truth for the truth?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I don't know why people do that.

People do it all the time. It helps them understand the world. I don't know.

The whole study of sociology is based on the principle that stereotypes are true all the time (sociology really is the study of group stereotypes in my view).

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Ive been saying this for quite a while now. It makes me truly respect the powers that be for their covert use of the old tactic, and it makes me wonder if I should just join them instead of attempting to expose their methods.

Divide et impera- Divide and Conquer
Fac et excusa- do it and make excuses later
Si fecisti nega! - If you did it, deny it!

these and many other strategies and techniques are in use in all facets of media as well as in the public education system.

Human beings stereotype because it was and still is necessary for survival, in certain contexts. Stereotyping in the extreme is typical in the mentally lazy, as well. It allows your brain not to think too much and focus on more important things like bread and circuses.

I have particular disdain for people who use phrases like

"Typical Libs" "Leftist" "Conservative" "Dems" et c and whenever someone may appear to fit one of those categories, they are immediately cast in that box.

The fact is is that words are very powerful and connotative. To each person a word may have multiple meanings and triggers that affect their decisions and their reality itself.

For most, when you even try to suggest that the polarization of virtually everything is a mechanism for control, they cannot even begin to fathom this and categorize you as loony, paranoid, conspiracy theorist, et c in the blink of an eye.

This is why I seek to evade categorization in my pursuits and endeavors in life and try my best to be the change I want to see.

glad Im not the only one out there who sees things in this regard...cheers

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
So true. I have been called liberal for being gay and accused of voting for Obama. Truth is I did not vote for any President! Well the fact is that the SC elections held on the Electronic Voting Machines is against the SC Constitution and is a secret ballot by it's own statures. I saw little difference between Bush, McCain, and Obama. Ron Paul, well nobody here was that interested in him. I voted in none of the above as I voted for the Town Drunk as President in a write in.

The full truth though: A lot of gays were initially interested in Ron Paul but, felt that what scant rights one has would be lost if we voted outside the box. He lost a great deal of support for that!

[edit on 19/6/09 by toochaos4u]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by iiinvision
Ive been saying this for quite a while now. It makes me truly respect the powers that be for their covert use of the old tactic, and it makes me wonder if I should just join them instead of attempting to expose their methods.

Divide et impera- Divide and Conquer
Fac et excusa- do it and make excuses later
Si fecisti nega! - If you did it, deny it!

these and many other strategies and techniques are in use in all facets of media as well as in the public education system.

Human beings stereotype because it was and still is necessary for survival, in certain contexts. Stereotyping in the extreme is typical in the mentally lazy, as well. It allows your brain not to think too much and focus on more important things like bread and circuses.

I have particular disdain for people who use phrases like

"Typical Libs" "Leftist" "Conservative" "Dems" et c and whenever someone may appear to fit one of those categories, they are immediately cast in that box.

The fact is is that words are very powerful and connotative. To each person a word may have multiple meanings and triggers that affect their decisions and their reality itself.

For most, when you even try to suggest that the polarization of virtually everything is a mechanism for control, they cannot even begin to fathom this and categorize you as loony, paranoid, conspiracy theorist, et c in the blink of an eye.

This is why I seek to evade categorization in my pursuits and endeavors in life and try my best to be the change I want to see.

glad Im not the only one out there who sees things in this regard...cheers

Is there an applause icon?

Your post is exactly how I feel but never put so clearly and succinctly. Its always exciting to run across someone who understands sociology/stereotyping/profiling. People can be both wonderful and horrible. There are no "typical" humans unless they are being led through subconscious or subliminal internal triggers. Marketing and advertising, education, media, entertainment, dining, recreation, travel, romance and sex are all geared toward stereotypical consumers.

I've lived in other cultures and various American cultures too and observed that people are the product of their environment.

Its easy to live without stereotypes when values and ethics, even morals are adhered to strictly, applied with the salve of tolerance.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I've made serious work of breaking these stereotypes down. You should see my twitter account, I have far left womens groups, Hispanic groups for and against illegal immigration, gay rights groups, conservative newspapers follow my updates, gun rights groups, Liberal speakers and newspapers, and everything in between. Same is true for my friends list here, and facebook, and deviantART, and myspace. Because when you get down to it, the one thing all these groups and individuals want is freedom. Freedom to protect themselves, celebrate the love they wish, prosper economically, keep the enemies of the Nation at bay, and a government that protects the rights of the people.

I don't alienate Anyone, period. Because I'm just tired of the divide and conquer game. I won't play it anymore. And if you guys know what's good for you and the nation, you'll refrain from doing so as well.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by projectvxn]

new topics

top topics

join