It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let Jesus be your stimulus plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I saw this on a church marquee the other day.

Let Jesus be your stimulus plan.

My first thought was that the church was implying that by
tithing more to the church, that you'd get it back twofold,
thereby stimulating the economy.

I had a little laugh about it, thinking that it was bold to ask members
to dig deep into their empty pockets and keep the church afloat. ( Would
a church use these hard times to milk more money out of members?)

I thought about it some more and then I thought maybe
it meant to put your faith in the church to get you through
these bad times.

For those of you who attend and tithe to your church, have you found
yourself giving less to the church? Would you give more to the church and cut your family short because you think that God will get you through
these hard times?

[edit on 7-3-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

That very reason, if I am not mistaken, was a major reason for the separation of the Lutherans.
In those days though, it was obligatory. Taxed to death so to speak.

The church will always take it's own well being ahead of the people that serve under their religion. The Vatican has so much wealth that it could pay off the debt of every country on earth, and not even feel it.
So you might ask why don't they?
Why don't they indeed?
Control.
Power.

The pope might say, "If the Vatican bails you out, then you learn nothing."

BS.

The world is in crisis.
What better way to save the world and convert the masses to Christianity ans Catholicism than to save it.
DUH!!
Must be me.

[edit on 7/3/2009 by reticledc]

[edit on 7/3/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
( Would a church use these hard times to milk more money out of members?)

Of course, some churches will--namely those of the televangelist sort. Others will remind the congregants that they are to always give no matter what.

I thought about it some more and then I thought maybe
it meant to put your faith in the church to get you through
these bad times.

I think you're on the right track. Assuming this was a protestant church, they probably meant something along the lines of, put your faith in Jesus because you'll get the "stimulus" of eternal life, or something like that.

For those of you who attend and tithe to your church, have you found
yourself giving less to the church? Would you give more to the church and cut your family short because you think that God will get you through
these hard times?

I give just as much to the church. I give to God because he commands us to. Giving, even in the tough times, shows our reliance on God to provide. I can testify from my own experience, that when I gave, even when my wife and I needed the money we gave, we were blessed more than we could've ever imagined. So, giving to God is giving to your family because he will repay you.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Jesus and I were just talking about the stimulus plan the other day. Funny the OP would make a thread about it. Jesus and I discussed interesting points about how he is setting up the united states to fail in order to come back and get reborn and do his thing and stuff. I told him to go on and do his thing, and I'm with him all the way. And I must say, jesus can freakin party!!!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
There's a church near me that collects money from the congregation and the church, in turn, pays the debt a member family owes. Then they turn to the next needy family and help them. And in return, the families that have been helped and are in the position to help others, help the next family. The church is an independent church, supporting itself with just the congregation. The preacher owns his own house, and works full time during the week in a factory, so he does not take a salary. This is what Christianity is supposed to be about as far as I am concerned. People helping people. Not elite class ministers who spend about 2 hours a week preparing a sermon and the rest of the time sitting idle while they ask for volunteers to visit the sick and disabled. My mom's church is one of these elite churches. She has been unable to attend services for over 3 years, yet has only been visited by a volunteer twice, not a minister or his junior ministers. But like clockwork, the calls come for her to pay her tithe and to even increase her tithe.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Great post. It's a sad situation in 'mainstream Christianity' these days. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the sign the OP spoke of was referring to some prosperity doctrine, name it and claim it, or blab it and grab it if you will.

Your story of the true Christian church is very encouraging. That pastor is piling up treasure in heaven to be sure.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by resistor

Is you're Jesus avatar supposed to look eerily like Obama or is that just a coincidence? Serious question.

Good point about the Vatican reticledc.

Tax religion, its bad for you're health.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   

This is what Christianity is supposed to be about as far as I am concerned.

I heard about that Church as well, pretty interesting. Early Christians actually pooled all their wealth together and worshiped Jesus....maybe it was a little easier for them back then since they died at like age 40 but who knows. I'd like to see Christians become that united in faith but they'd probably eat each other alive

Is you're Jesus avatar supposed to look eerily like Obama or is that just a coincidence? Serious question.

It's actually an Obama avatar eerily like Jesus.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Either way, I feel the sign is horrible. You are looking at keeping the church afloat or putting your faith in Jesus. Did Jesus tell peter to worship him and he would solve his hunger problem? NO, he taught peter how to fish for himself. Great example of how Christianity can go awry..

Just my two cents...

~Hyp

top topics

join