It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we still idolize the rich and famous?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Why Do We Still Idolize The Rich And Famous?

Im thinking to myself why do I even have to start this thread about this particular subject because we should be past well it in my opinion. we definitely should be anyway. I mean take this week on the front page of the biggest newspaper in England some footballer got arrested and then let out again. That was front page news But who cares really I mean there is kids dying and we care more about some dumbass footballer who got arrested then let out a few hours later.

He was on the front page again a few days later because he was talking to some “blonde girl” I mean is it just me who thinks that’s NOT what we should be worrying about.

So there are in particular groups of the famous that really do not deserve it in my opinion and there are people to idolize and the don’t fall into that category to me.

Footballers

Now in England footballers are seriously treated like Gods and no im not exaggerating I mean people are poor people who are regularly murdered because of what team they support Now there are plenty of things in this world to get angry over and kicking a ball back and forth into a net isn’t one of those things.

Certainly isn’t one of those things to murder over in fact I don’t think there is anything that we should murder over.

Also the money they get paid is unreal especially in these current financial times but we are too afraid to lower them because of how much they would complain and so on.

Actors/Actresses

Now these are the guys who we truly idolize (as a whole) to the highest point but think about what they really do for a living. Technically their job is to lie every single day and to appear on television doing just that so why do we idolize this why do we idolize those who are put into our television screens. What is there to idolize.

Again they are the people who are seriously overpaid for what they do especially in the current financial times where people kill one another for any money that they can get. So I ask again What is there to really idolize.

Singers/musician’s

Now these guys are my favourite and the ones more worthy of idolizing because they actually have a talent but still IMO should not be idolized the way that they currently are. I mean im my opinion the people who we should be idolizing are the ones who save lives or the ones who are genuinely decent people those are the ones who I think we should be looking up to.

Frustration

It’s just so frustrating to see people who think that being famous is absolutely everything because it really isn’t there is far more to life than appearing on the television I mean what is this fascination with it I really don’t understand why people HAVE to appear on the television at some point in their lives.

I mean yes we all have heroes correct? Well how many of your heroes are ones from the television cause I bet about 90% of you are fitting right into that category. Sure there is nothing wrong with that but I certainly do think that the problem is the reason that they are our heroes.

For example have a look at a footballer look at what they do and tell me why I should idolize him cause I see no reason to idolize a footballer what so ever.

I really do think that this is where we (as a human nation) are, because of this stunted because yes it’s all fine having someone to look up to I think we should all have someone to look up to and someone to idolize but the reasons that we idolize the ones we do are in my opinion plain stupid.

I mean why do we idolize the rich what have 90% of them really done for humankind. Chances are they screwed them over to get to where they have got.

I mean it definitely looks like us humans are more than willing to screw each other over I mean look at the suing culture that has gripped America. (no offence America)

Am I crazy to think that humans could potentially have their priorities mucked up at this moment in time and that everything is currently perfect in human’s way of life and how they live those lives or do you think that this idolization of the rich and famous is plain wrong and needs to be fixed.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Friend, it boils down to the distraction. The illusion if you will that the PTB has issued upon us. It is absolutely vital for them to keep this illusion going in order for them to finish they're plans.

If you think about it, right now, those things in you're post are the most important things in the world to them, it is the only thing keeping the average person from loosing it and demanding a working government for the people.

It's very sad that they have managed to keep it up this long and that even with everything that is going on in the world today (recessions, war,genocide and escalating violence in general) people are still content and happy with turning on their TVO's at night and wathing the latest episode of Survivor.

But in the end, this thing might be their downfall. Being the greedy species that we are, I think that eventually the MMS will notice that without us they will be out of a job, so they will be ones to start giving us disclosure and talking about things we want to hear about.

We've seen a taste of it recently with the NWO speak and what not, even though that might be just chalked up to conspiracy "crazy" talk as people like to say, we've seen alot of different and shocking things come out of the news lately. Things we would never usually hear of.

Therefore, IMO things are a bit shaky in the media/entertainment buisiness at the moment, as they decide who's side they will be on when the SHTF.

It's going to be a very interesting year for us here who constantly watch and evaluate the things we see. And those of us who actively engage in attempting to look through the fog of war so to speak.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The first 2 posters said it all pretty well, so I'l add a twist,
we all enjoy seeing them humanized as wel, hence the mag rags like the Star, Enquirer, ......

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think especially in the US, it has been that celebrity culture is one of glamour... We all want to be glamorous, and know all the places to go, to know all the people. We want to be like them, because our own lives suck.. We wish we could be them, so idolizing them via buying their music and films, seeing their concerts, etc just makes them more rich.. we encourage and support that they are better than us.

I think in the UK, you guys are seeing more and more of that. With the football players, with the musicians.

But here in America, I always assumed that celebrities had the higher purpose of keeping us distracted. We care more about Britney Spears's new haircut or weight loss, than we care about what our government is doing to us. Even as young kids, we are taught to idolize these beautiful people.
Even young girls become anorexic to be 'perfect', just like the glamorous magazine models. Shame they don't realize that this 'perfection' they see is airbrushed... But, these same young girls get the idea that they have to wear makeup just like these glamorous models. Which supports industry and further keeps us distracted from a young age.

It's no surprise we worship these people, the rich and famous. Our lives suck, and our governments depend on entertainment to keep us distracted.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The average person believes to be average, because that's what the system tells them they are. It would be just normal, if these "nobodies" - that's how the average person probably labels him/herself went and did what they want to do. But that's not possible, because they are scared to get ridiculed by others. People control and police one another.

When the "rich" are idolized, then it is just because the average people are not aware that they could do the very same. They begin to admire the rich for what the average person (who is made to believe) is not meant to do. They don't see through this smokescreen and this huge veil of illusion and only idolize the rich, because they do what the average person can't do (a fallacy again). What is shown on TV is not reality, it is an illusion and another way of mind manipulation.

S&F because it is an issue that is important.

Greetings

PS: If I didn't manage to get my thoughts across... scrap it
lol

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by branty

Yes if you look at an average newspaper or magazine it is absoloutely filled with stupid gossip about celebrities or anything really that has got something to do with a celebrity but there are far more important things in the world.

We really need to get our priorities straight as a whole.

[edit on 7/3/2009 by Anti - Government]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti - Government
reply to post by branty

Yes if you look at an average newspaper or magazine it is absolout5ely filled with stupid gossip about celebrities or anything really that has got something to do with a celebrity but there are far more important things in the world.

We really need to get our priorities straight as a whole.

I see parallels. Newspapers and magazines filled with gossip.
Texts are simplified. When does anyone use sesquipedalian words? Rarely. Why? It must be simplified. People get dumbed down.

Sorry, I am not branty but I still decided to post :p

Greetings

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I don't idolize anything.

Not god
No celebrities
No corporations
No organizations

But if tell those people who idolize those things that they're stupid, you quickly become outnumbered.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
People regularly get killed over football mah #in balls.

You got any kind of statistics to back that claim up?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWriter

Yes exactly I agree with you there that there is a dumbing down in America actually in the world because yes everything is now simplified but at the same time of this dumbing down they are teaching us that we have to gossip not just about others but celebrities especially.

Celebrity’s in magazines

That’s about 99% of magazines summed up right there because they rarely show a normal person in a magazine now do they it’s all about the celebrities and what they are doing. And also there lives and what they just bought or what bad thing has just happened I mean they should be focusing on the normal average person and normal average problems and solutions.

So the idolization will always continue in crappy magazines that most people buy and yes they are using dumbing down techniques in them aswell as using them to further the idolization that people are having for the rich and famous for like I stated already stupid reasons.

[edit on 7/3/2009 by Anti - Government]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jBrereton

Seriously dude look for football violence its pretty bad.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
2 cents:

There are two main ways in which the msm report to enslave the human spirit:

1. The doom & gloom fear circus (for which many "conspiracy-theorists" here still fall for)

2. And if they ever report anything "good" then its not YOU experiencing that good but others, the "celebs". The "good" is kept at a superficial "he`s got a cool hairdo, car, girlfriend" type of reporting.

The latter is done to keep peoples minds off their own uniqueness and ability and project it to an "unattainable" level. The perks presented are empty once one has them though. There is nothing special about being on TV. Most of it consists of sitting for hours in some barren backroom until its ones turn to play some part in a cheaply written script. There are exceptions of course.

Sadly, Billions have no other inspiration in life other than having their gaze follow what these "celebs" are and are not doing.

Nice topic.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti - Government

That’s about 99% of magazines summed up right there because they rarely show a normal person in a magazine now do they it’s all about the celebrities and what they are doing. And also there lives and what they just bought or what bad thing has just happened I mean they should be focusing on the normal average person and normal average problems and solutions.

So the idolization will always continue in crappy magazines that most people buy and yes they are using dumbing down techniques in them aswell as using them to further the idolization that people are having for the rich and famous for like I stated already stupid reasons.

Normal people are not desired. I am getting
upset when I see this beautiful people (retouched with Photoshop) in magazines. False idols.
Celebrities, yeah, I could go to a swimming lake in summer and see more beauties (real ones) than in mags.
It is my opinion that by creating false images, people are drawn into a vortex of self-destruction, because they attempt to attain the same. Darn it, 5 seconds in Photoshop and pounds of fat have disappeared.

You make too much sense, I guess. Of course, magazines should focus on real people, but without generalizing too much, why are so many magazines sold? There must be a huge demand of lies. What do you think?

Greetings

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Exactly and the very very sad thing is that people fall for it soooo easily I mean it doesn’t even need any effort anymore people just accept what they are told now without even a thought.

Like you said our very own uniqueness is being taken away from us aswell and yes it does seem that way doesn’t it because the way that celebrities are projected to the public is just sad I mean they are the most coolest smartest people according to the media and we should all look up to them and want to be like them or that’s what it seems like to me.

Like if we don’t want to be like them we are looked at like freaks or if we didn’t watch the latest program with the hottest new star we are looked at like freaks now.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Sadly, Billions have no other inspiration in life other than having their gaze follow what these "celebs" are and are not doing.

I agree, but these zombies were created by our system.
When you say "inspiration", well, very simple question: How many people do you know who could write a little story? A poem?

A woman told me roughly 5 months ago that she cannot read any novels, because she cannot imagine anything that is fictional. She studied the German language and literature and is a native speaker. I was shocked. Do you know how many people I know who rarely read a book? Or never touched one?

Inspiration. OMG. A very rare bird these days.

Greetings

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The more empty their own lives are the more they will follow others...celebs, cult gurus, political parties, idols.

Not that we dont appreciate talent and good movies and good music...but why idolize them, right?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Exactly I mean there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking celebrities or anything like that or liking anyone famous because of their talents but damn there is a line and alot of people cross it and go too far and completely become obsessed with these people just because they are famous and noting more.

There is plenty of people to look up to and yes why not look up to some celebrities because yes I bet that most of them are genuinely nice and caring people and yes we should all strive to try and become that but like I said just don’t cross that line and become obsessed.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
The more empty their own lives are the more they will follow others...celebs, cult gurus, political parties, idols.

Not that we dont appreciate talent and good movies and good music...but why idolize them, right?

To achieve greatness. Dreaming of acceptance. Dreaming of admiration.
One trend in a magazine and people immediately copy it.

Greetings

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWriter

Inspiration. OMG. A very rare bird these days.

Unfortunately Ive met a lot of people who dont sing, dance, write, read, tell stories, make photos, play an instrument, do sports or anything else for that matter. They just watch others living life in front of the TV.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
People idolize them because it gives them an escape from their reality. They want to fantasize what if it was them that was that rich.

It's pathetic.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join