It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army reports another month of high suspected suicides

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Army reports another month of high suspected suicides

www.cnn.com

Up to 18 deaths of soldiers in February may have been suicides, which if confirmed would continue an unwelcome trend, the Army said Thursday.

The report follows a spike in January, when 24 soldier suicides or suspected suicides were reported. Twelve of those have now been confirmed and the other 12 are still being investigated, the Army said.

Suicide data normally is released annually, but the large increase in January led the Army to start putting the numbers out on a monthly basis.

In 2008 the Army recorded 143 suicides, or 20.2 per 100.000 soldiers, the highest number since the service began keeping data in 1980.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I can't even begin to understand how these soldiers must feel. At this point the suicide rate in the Army has exceeded figures for the general population.

Things have to be really bad if the Army goes from reporting suicides annually to on a monthly basis. I just hope that other soldiers who are feeling the same way can pull through this mess and get home safe without harming themselves.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Dude I am actually shocked. That ratio 20.2 per 100,000 is incredible. The Army need to find the root of this problem and sort it out fast. This is a real big thing.

-Sorry I don't seem to be able to find any thing that is right to say about this it is just so weird.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I am not so shocked, to be honest...

To be contemplating suicide, is an extreme act of desperation.

Sorry, not really directed at you, Cauch... I know that certain green eyed individuals will probably come in here and say this article is 100% disinfo.. and that all of our troops are in actuality very happy go lucky individuals.

I have seen what someone turned into, after acts of desperation to leave Special Forces... With a dishonorable discharge.

All I know, is that it takes extreme desperation to even think of suicide being the only way out, and the end to suffering. I feel extremely sad toward the troops that feel there is no other way out. Our government does not seem to care for their well-being right now. Dunno what else to say.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Mods delete or close this thread please, I just stumbled across this same story. The search function didn't seem to pick it up. Thx.

top topics

join