It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snuggies and Stepford Wives?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Seriously. I'm not kidding.

Why am I so deeply obsessed with this thing???

This isn't right! This is so counter to everything I grew up with. This is counter to everything I vigilantly fought long and hard for in the strict aesetic lifestyle of my youth!

I still wear Doc Martens for chrissakes! I still slam dance! I still kick dumpsters every so often and dance to the industrial music on my music player in the streets at 3am!

THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!!! WHY THE SNUGGIE?????

I know they're flimsy. I know. I know. I know. Overpriced and heaven knows I can't afford something like that even if I would actually buy one.

If I did, I'd have to go with the maroon and...

(AHHHH! THERE IT IS AGAIN!)

I'm pretty dense when it comes to being swayed by advertsing, I have rather ecclectic and specific tastes and prefer to buy things that will stay with me over the decades instead of ending up in the donation pile but...this "snuggie" thing has me TRANSFIXED!

AND THAT CONCERNS ME GREATLY!

I've been studying human psychology and advertising for as long as I can remember, and I'd like to think I know every trick in the book when it comes to advertising....and recently, I've been getting VERY, VERY keen on things I wouldn't normally pay attention to.

The other day I was at the drug store and excitedly grabbed my fiances arm and loudly blurted out: "Honey! Look! They have Sham-wows!"

Am I slipping????

Is this normal with the progression of age? Have the fires of my youth finally been tempered? Am I going to start collecting bizzare kitchen appliances in my golden years I never use?

Am I destined to own an RV instead of a sleeping bag under the stars???

I'm scared of the Snuggie. I'm scared because I like it.

This can't be happening! I'm only 34!!!!!

Help?

(*mods - if this would be better suited to the General Conspiracy forums of ATS, I'll understand if you move it.)

*edit to remove obsessive infomercial. if you don't know what a "snuggie" is - please google. thanks.

[edit on 3/4/09 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Oh my poor GE. Its ok. Ur not insane. Just gettin older...

and no i didnt say getting OLD!!!

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Thanks Silver -

I guess there is a latent fear of turning into a Stepford Wife.

I may have joked about becoming one since time immemorial, but now that I find myself actually induldging in some of the character traits, I'm getting a bit skittish.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Ah yes I too sometimes find myself transfixed on the snuggie products in the world.

I have a fix for you.

Put a robe on backwards.

myself? Im still looking for a banana phone.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Ah yes I too sometimes find myself transfixed on the snuggie products in the world.

Oh thank Heavens. And here I thought I was being overtly targeted because I'm female and of prime breeding age!

I feel a little better now. If you're also feeling the effect of this diabolical thingamawhatsiz, I can't be completely crazy. Maybe still a little "off" but certainly not "crazy".

Originally posted by whatukno
Put a robe on backwards.

It's gone beyond that I fear.

I'm actually designing my own personal "UBERsnuggie" complete with a higher grade material and a few personal aesthetics I felt the original design lacked.

Now I just need to learn how to sew....

Im still looking for a banana phone.

More addictive than the iPod. Without a doubt.

[edit on 3/4/09 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

Now I just need to learn how to sew....

Really? I know how to sew. Right now im trying to figure out how to make gangsta pants that actually fit and still make em look like the guys underwear is showing.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
That, my good sir, is beyond brilliant.

If you nail that design, you'll be rich I tells ya!

RICH!

Please. Please. I beg of you. Make an infomercial for them when the design is perfected.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I was thinking of marketing them in quarter, half, and full moon varieties. I could get Billy Mays to sell em on TV

now to find a pair of really baggy jeans and some boxers.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Never underestimate the goldmine that is the Thrift Store.

If you want a REALLY big pair to work with, we have some impressive XXXXXL's in the mens section at my favorite charity thrift.

I can totally hook you up, dude.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I always think of Gargamel when I see that blue snuggie. Or a wicked hounded robe, something a monk would wear, or maybe a witch. *evil laughter, and a cough* (too many smokes).

In half seriousness... maybe all that stuff just doesn't mean as too you anymore. Hell, in my youth... any music that wasn't death metal, Ministry, or Primus was just crap. I am glad I saw the light... I still like Ministry and Primus btw...

but... now hear me out and I will show my card carrying anti establishment right here with these words spoken by Oderous Urungus rather eloquently, imo....

"Death to all who wear paisley"... stear clear of the kitchen utensils you will only once. It's the mark of the yuppie.

edited to add:

The Uber Snuggie needs a remote control pocket, and maybe even a cell phone pocket. And have skulls on it.

[edit on 3/4/2009 by eye open doors]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
WUK glad you could help quell GE's fears some.

And where the heck did stepford wives come into play, lolol.

Killin me GE, just killin me here. too funny

Silver

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Um...well...the Stepford Wife thing is kinda...um...hard to explain.

Unless you live in those sorts of communities.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
And where the heck did stepford wives come into play, lolol.

It began as a book...

...and is now a cultural reference to indicate adherance to now archaic social roles for women.

From the above link
The term "Stepford wife" entered common use in the English language after the publication of Levin's book, and is generally used as a term of satire. It has recently been used by critics to describe Laura Bush,[3] and Katie Holmes after her marriage to Tom Cruise.[4] The label "Stepford wife" is usually applied to a woman who seems to conform blindly to an old-fashioned subservient role in relationship to her husband, compared to other, presumably more independent and vivacious women. It can also be used to criticise any person, male or female, who submits meekly to authority and/or abuse; or even to describe someone who lives in a robotic, conformist manner without giving offense to anyone. The word "Stepford" can also be used as an adjective denoting servility or blind conformity, ("He's a real Stepford employee"), or a noun ("My home town is a Stepford").[5]

Cheers...

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Ahh thanks for schooling me there MS. It was more of a tongue in cheek statement than anything, lol but thank you anyways.

Silver

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I saw you mentioned being excited by seeing the Sham-WOW in the store. Let me tell you, I spent the better part of an afternoon watching Vince and his commercials on YouTube. They are the B E S T!

Have you seen the new Slap Chopper thing? He says, "You're gonna love my nuts!"

I swear, I die laughing every single time he says that. He looks at the camera, does his side eyed look at you, and BAM! He tells me I'm gonna love his nuts! HILARIOUS!! I LOVE IT! LOL

Here I am, a 40ish GROWN WOMAN laughing my fool head off about some dude talking about his nuts. THAT is nuts!

Then there's the whole community of Youtube people who have made parodies out of those commercials too. You should look at them! GREAT!

Then there's the Snuggies.......my husband and daughter were in CVS a couple weeks ago. They call me just to say: THEY HAVE THE SNUGGIES!!!!!!!!!! LOL They only had blue, but they bought us one anyway (we really wanted the maroon one!!).

LOVE IT!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Vince.

Oh man, that kid cracks me up!

"We're making America skinny again! ONE SLAP AT A TIME!"

(And I am not surprised at all that the maroon snuggies were the first to sell out...but that's another conspiracy in and of itself.)

We've all gone mad I tell you!

MAD!

top topics

join