It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moscow and Ottawa at odds after CF-18s intercept plane on eve of Obama visit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Moscow and Ottawa at odds after CF-18s intercept plane on eve of Obama visit

ca.news.yahoo.com

OTTAWA - Moscow and Ottawa are engaged in a war of words after Defence Minister Peter MacKay announced Friday that Canadian and U.S. fighter jets intercepted a Russian bomber and signalled it to "turn tail" over the high Arctic on the eve of American President Barack Obama's visit.

MacKay suggested the timing of the incident was suspect, but the Russians called the flight routine and indicated they were baffled by the fuss.

The announcement Friday morning of the Feb. 18 encounter raised questions about why MacKay chose to highlight it. Norad said there have been about 20 such aerial contacts between Russian and American or Canadian planes since 2007.

The Russian Defence Ministry was categoric.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Someone not liking our new president? ...There are much easier ways to deal with that.

This sounds more like a propaganda stunt to me. Things like this can scare taxpayers into accepting huge military budgets. A real threat or not, it's a way to boost the economy. The cold war was mostly a CIA propaganda stunt that made the robber barons of the world banks wealthier.

If not, I would look at what Russia would consider economic interests in that region, like Putin said. I believe Canada is quietly speculated to house the worlds largest oil reserve.

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Interesting... actual war with Russia (and China for that matter) is only a matter of time, however.

Why MacKay is only coming out with this now should leave one suspect. I don't believe the Russians are lying; they just aren't tell the whole truth.

What do you all think?

[edit on 28-2-2009 by TheDarkNight]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
baffled by the fuss.

???

Them's warring words alright.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I live in Ottawa and I expected the choppers and all the security with Obama coming to town.
I thought it was odd when I heard the wooshing of fighter jets.
It all makes sense now.
I do think it was just a slip up on Russias part.I don't think they were trying to screw with us.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Don't be so sure.

I wouldn't suggest that they were entierly sinister in their move, but they sure as hell like to push the boundaries.
See just how close they can fly...what are the capabillities for radar-defences, how long it takes to scramble fighters, see if there might be any"holes" in the surveillance...
It's called "recon".

They do this all the time. Just sniffing, making sure where the limit goes.
Be so sure.
We can only guess where their submarines are doing the same thing.

Weather to treat this as an "agression" or "provocation" is up to the repective governments, but the Russians will do like the Russians do...

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Your right,after actually reading the article I see that this has been happening for many yrs and yes i do have to agree with you after i read the article and thought about it.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Haha, got to love this russians. Back to the old games, fun times.

Maybe we will get lucky and get a sequel to Spies Like Us.

top topics

join