It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacking the planet: The only climate solution left?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
From the New Scientist

Hacking the planet: The only climate solution left?

IN A room in London late last year, a group of British politicians were grilling a selection of climate scientists on geoengineering - the notion that to save the planet from climate change, we must artificially tweak its thermostat by firing fine dust into the atmosphere to deflect the sun's rays, for instance, or perhaps even by launching clouds of mirrors into space.

Surely the scientists gave such a heretical idea short shrift. After all, messing with the climate is exactly what got us into such trouble in the first place. The politicians on the committee certainly seemed to believe so. "It is not sensible, is it? It is not a serious suggestion?"

Had the question been posed a few years ago, most climate scientists would have agreed. But the mood is changing. In the face of potentially catastrophic climate change, the politicians and scientists all agreed that since cuts to carbon emissions will likely fall short we need to be exploring "Plan B". Climatologists have hit a "social tipping point" says Tim Lenton of the University of East Anglia, UK.

I wonder just what kind of object lesson is in store for the scientific community should there attempts to 'change' nature result in a catastrophic alteration of the climate?

It's hard to believe that educated scientists would think they can influence a dynamic chaotic system and expect to understand the outcome...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
No one's listening because Big Business and the Bush administration have successfully brain-washed people into believing global warming is not happening.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I can not believe that any ATSers are not aware that the global warming is a conspiratorial SCAM! HUNDREDS of scientists have come out denouncing it. Last night, I saw how the readings of melting on the North Pole were only due to a technical malfunction. IT IS NOT TRUE in spite of the Communist Democratic Party assertions to the contrary.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Well worth a flag.

What's the plan? We broke it, contaminated it, and totally wrecked it - and still don't want to fix it or clean it up?

Oh. Right. Time for the DUCT TAPE solution!

[edit on 25-2-2009 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

There is a plan...
I heard this scientist/author on the radio yeasterday and he was saying some interesting things.
He kind of highlighted what we need to do and what will happen if things carry on as they are.
I'm not sure how right or wrong he is but I think you'd find the book an intersting read (maybe).

The Vanishing Face of Gaia: A Final Warning by James Lovelock.

British scientist James Lovelock’s latest book predicts a lot of doom and gloom in the coming centuries, but he cautiously says he is “an optimistic pessimist” and thinks humankind will survive the coming Long Emergency. It won’t be a pretty picture, Lovelock predicts, suggesting the a massive die-off of humans due to climate change and global warming will reduce the population from 9 billion people to around one billion or less.

Source
SourceII

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gregarious
I can not believe that any ATSers are not aware that the global warming is a conspiratorial SCAM! HUNDREDS of scientists have come out denouncing it. Last night, I saw how the readings of melting on the North Pole were only due to a technical malfunction. IT IS NOT TRUE in spite of the Communist Democratic Party assertions to the contrary.

See what I mean? Brainwasheeeeeeeeeed. Uncle Exon is proud of you young fellow.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
It's hard to believe that educated scientists would think they can influence a dynamic chaotic system and expect to understand the outcome...

I don't think they are trying to, the solution is 'simple' and straightforward but not the ultimate solution.

Originally posted by rizla

Originally posted by Gregarious

See what I mean? Brainwasheeeeeeeeeed. Uncle Exon is proud of you young fellow.

It may not be happening in some parts of the globe, but in my country, Philippines, it has considerably warmed for the past decade. It used to be tolerable, now it's become annoyingly warm, thinking of migrating to colder countries..

[edit on 25-2-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by and14263
... I think you'd find the book an intersting read (maybe).

The Vanishing Face of Gaia: A Final Warning by James Lovelock.

British scientist James Lovelock’s latest book predicts a lot of doom and gloom in the coming centuries, but he cautiously says he is “an optimistic pessimist” and thinks humankind will survive the coming Long Emergency. It won’t be a pretty picture, Lovelock predicts, suggesting the a massive die-off of humans due to climate change and global warming will reduce the population from 9 billion people to around one billion or less.

Source
SourceII

You're right - I would find this book an interesting read. Thank you! (Didn't know about it.)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Thank you for that ... I too was unaware of this

top topics

join