It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increased advertising on ATS...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Many of you have noticed some increased advertising on ATS, and even some higher-order advertisers such as PlayStation Magazine, Verizon, AOL, and others. The board has been accepted into a higher-order advertising network which should display a generally solid mix of ads that make sense for the ATS audience, are not crap-banners, and help provide some increased income to support our increased growth. It's rare for such ad networks to look to community discussion board sites such as ATS as a possible channel for their ads. It's an additional testament to the overall quality and respectability we bring to online conspiracy and alternative topics. As always, I've been very careful to find a balance between the amount and style of the advertising, and the needs and usability of the community. If you encounter anything within the new ads you think does not belong on ATS, or if you think the advertiser is attempting to install spyware... please let me know. While we need to look at increase means to support our community without asking members for contributions, make no mistake, I put the community first. If an ad network ends up not being a good fit, we will take appropriate action. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
You have done a great job incorperating the ads. The only one I dont like is the one in the middle of the recent posts. At the same time I like the random thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobraAt the same time I like the random thread.
It's a trade. Give me a banner, and I'll give you an interesting new feature.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
i like the random thread option too..the ads aren't too bad, as long as it keeps this boat floating you will not hear complaints from me.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I spent like half an hour getting them all into my ad blocker so that the ATS banner uptop would show up correctly...whew...it was really screwy with all these new ads. I dont really have a problem with the ads...but how bout some good quality advertisers...AOL? Howd we get stuck with them....just my 2 cents...

Edit...oh yeah...and i was running Peerguardian on the site...and i was getting some weird connections...they never happened before the additional ads.

[Edited on 16-4-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
uh... ad blockers are counter to the concept of integrating advertising to help pay for the cost of running the domain. There were some initial problems with the layer assignment of the default ad tags, but should be corrected now. Try unblocking the ads to see if everything shows up as normal.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Try unblocking the ads to see if everything shows up as normal.

Youd like that wouldnt you
....i like the plain yellowish of BTS and the red of ATS jsut fine thank you. .but i did disable the adblocker and it was still screwy, but only one the main page. Not any of the subforums.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I find the side google ads to be acceptable and convenient. They do not take away from the page layout. This is the way ads shouldbe, since they are necessary for the betterment of ATS.

However, there's one that creeps through on top, in the red field. Some kinda crap for screesavers or something. When I refresh it, thankfully, goes away. It is visually distracting and I don't think anyone on ATS needs help with a screensaver.
Just my 2-cents.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Yeah I have no problem with the ads, I don't notice them (apart from my daily clicking to help out
like the good ATSer I am) ;and the admins, like SkepticOverlord said, put the community first, so I doubt we'll be over run by adverts soon.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I don't think it's any great hardship having the extra ads on the site. I like the random thread in the middle of the recent posts page. Out of interest, are they randomly picked from every single post made in this incarnation of ATS or are they just going to be fairly recent posts?

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by pantha Out of interest, are they randomly picked from every single post made in this incarnation of ATS or are they just going to be fairly recent posts?
Randomly selected from all threads in all public forums.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
thats cool
So it's like a lucky dip then, you never know when some little gem from the past might crop up that you would otherwise never have seen.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Okay, the randomly selected thread in the middle of recent post is a cool idea. Whoever thought of this one gets a pat on the back.

One ad in the middle of the recent post is fine, just don't get carried away and make it every other one. Still haven't clicked on an AOL add though.

new topics

top topics

join