It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CFL compatibility issues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Since the incandescent light bulb is being ban I have been doing some research on the CFLs and have found a few problems to say the least. I started by reading the packages on CFLs checking out as many makes and brands and types as I could find. First off all of them say you can not use them in dimmers. So what does that mean for all the houses out there that have dimmers? Will ever one have to give up their dimmers? The makers of dimmers will have warehouses full that they can not give away. Also I have seen the following statement on some CFL packages.
NOT FOR USE WITH DIMMERS
NOT FOR USE WITH PHOTO CELL
NOT FOR USE WITH LIGHT CONTROLS
NOT FOR USE WITH TIMERS
NOT FOR USE WITH PORTABLE LIGHTS
NOT FOR USE WITH HAND-HELD LIGHTS
NOT FOR OUTDOOR USE
NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE WITH GENERATOR
NOT FOR USE WITH GENERATOR
NOT FOR USE IN ENCLOSED FIXTURE
Now I have not seen one that had all of these warnings printed on it but seeing as these things are all pretty much the same. Now with all that being said about CFL that could mean that lighting as we know it is going to be a thing of the past. And another thing what about my porch light (NOT FOR OUTDOOR USE), my old incandescent light bulb works just fine when the temp gets down to freezing but I have yet to see a CFL that will work below 50*F. Most will not work right below 60*F. I see a market for black-market incandescent light bulbs.

PS:Not sure if this is the right place to post this so the mods may have to move it.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
All CFL's have an inbuilt ballast in order to kick-start the globe. In the cheaper varieties of globe, the ballast cannot handle the varying electrical input strengths associated with timers and dimmers.

In essence, spend a little more and get the better quality CFL's and you won't have a problem.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
...............In essence, spend a little more and get the better quality CFL's and you won't have a problem.

A dim-able CFL and cold weather CFL can cost as much as $25 EACH. That is 100 times the cost of bulbs I use now. Say you are using a trouble light to work on you car or something. We all know how those thing eat bulbs for the rough use they get. So you drop the like or hit it on something and you lose a cheap bulb (as cheap as 25 cent) but now you are having to use a CFL in that trouble light and it blows or breaks. Now you have a real mess and even if it is a cheap CFL that is still at the least $5 gone (the cost of 20 regular bulbs).
Now do not get me wrong I like FLs. I have 4 foot FLs in my basement and shop and even my bedroom but CFLs will never be able to be used in all the places the old incandescent light bulb can be.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
LED light bulbs are the way to go.

top topics

join