It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor pay too high a price for military service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Poor pay too high a price for military service

www.southtownstar.com

The Associated Press reported Sunday that Army Emergency Relief parted with $64 million in loans, grants and scholarships for troops and their families, between 2003 and 2007. The charity calls itself a "private nonprofit organization," but boasts it is "the Army's own emergency financial assistance organization." AER exists for "the welfare of soldiers."

But, the AP report said the nonprofit charity, during that same four years, squirreled away $117 million, adding to its $345 million investment stash.

The worst part was, the money comes from the troops themselves making donations, and reportedly, under pressure. Way to support the troops.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

And then, more news. The Associated Press reported Sunday that Army Emergency Relief parted with $64 million in loans, grants and scholarships for troops and their families, between 2003 and 2007. The charity calls itself a "private nonprofit organization," but boasts it is "the Army's own emergency financial assistance organization." AER exists for "the welfare of soldiers."

I read on to learn that if troops take out loans, they must clear the loan before transferring or leaving the service. They may find themselves demoted or otherwise chastised, the story said. That scared me. I imagined already financially stressed guys and women, signing up and serving as a way to get ahead, finding themselves in need of a loan to keep their home out of foreclosure - or to feed there families, as some attested. And then, I imagined, these sons and daughters of our nation's working poor, facing the choice of paying off a loan now, with money they do not have, or re-enlisting.

As many people here know, i've often criticized the military, people always try to tell me off when I do so here on ATS.

But honestly, go kill kill kill, and we don't care about you afterwards.
Isn't this kind of worse than mobsters?
Mobsters take care of their people better than the U.S. military, what does that say?

People really need to stop enlisting. People say now you must enlist, it's actually the opposite.

www.southtownstar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Financial Crisis- Increased military service.

This was unavoidable and preplanned.

The question is- what is the Military building up for?

Pretty sad, having to join the military to save your family and at the same time taking someone away from a family... forever.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It is a volunteer program to join the military . These 17 year old kid's join thinking it's going to be like a video game and they also think there 15,000 dollar bonus will buy them a sweet Honda Civic to pimp out. When your a teenager you have no clue about anything when it comes to "real life" I feel sorry for these people cause they grow up and hate being part of it.

That is how 17 year old's think for the most part , most of these kids are poor and would of ended up dropping out of high-school and arn't exactly the brightest bulb. " not all of them are dumb but most arn't that bright to join in the first place"

We can't complain about the Military cause nobody is forced to join...

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Danops]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
[edit on 24-2-2009 by Danops]

new topics

top topics

join