It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Mountain Range found the size of Alps!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
A secret mountain range has been found in the Antarctic with hidden lakes and Mountains. Who knows what could be preserved down their for million of years?

www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Yeah honestly there could be anything down there.
Who would ever know.
They will never let people know.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Lake Vostok has been know scientifically since 1973, the article makes it out to be new.

The mountain range is the "Gamburtsev Mountain Range", it's been known since 1958..

To add to that, The Sun still has the picture and article of the hidden "Atlantis" that was "discovered", and was then and still is now known to be a computer mapping related thing, yet The Sun still passes the image off as real.

Please correct me if any of this is incorrect. I don't know where the Sun gets its reporters from or what the seemingly non-existent editor does all day but there you go.

[edit on 24/2/09 by Nventual]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
"The Sun" is a tabloid and should not be regarded as a good source for any information, as others are saying. The writer may just have discovered this information, but the news is over 60 years old.

A better source for news on ancient civilization discoveries and ancient discoveries is the BBC.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This is some better info on the subject, and just to show how far behine the sun is look at the date at the top of the article below.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Had me worried for a second there I thought Lovecraft's "Mountains of Madness had been" found!

Good old Sun, good for wraping fish and chips in, not much more.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Good old Sun, good for wrapping fish and chips in, not much more.
I think you are exaggerating, Hans. It is *only* good for wrapping fish and chips

I was reading recently that the mountains of Antarctica are the oldest ranges on Earth. There was a NASA supported schools program last year to choose an area of exploration. I remember a mesa, featured in a school's submission. Found it here

Edit to stay on topic!

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

i noticed reporters have taken bits and bats of information from above top secert you know

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by deathpoet69

i noticed reporters have taken bits and bats of information from above top secert you know

If I was reporter and was facing a deadline, yeah I'd data mine ATS, but I'd check the facts first! However large amounts of what shows up on ATS comes from common fringe sites.

Kandisky, cool I like old mountains.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
One can't help but wonder if perhaps The Sun intentionaly prints misleading articles to do with UFOs and Ancient landmasses. I don't know why they would, but they must, because a simple Google search for "mountains under antarctic" (without quotations though) will bring up so many articles, AND the first result being a wikipedia article dating the discovery to the 50s.

It just confuses me as to how these "reporters" get payed to create these articles when somebody like me and most other people in the world are struggling to afford food for the week. Fire everybody at The Sun and employ us!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Stupid, useless article.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Its call create sensational articles to fill up space and sell papers. Ever since printing arose people have been doing that. The heyday of pamphlets in England was one golden time.

America still has those "newspapers" in grocery stores don't they? You know with stories about the bat boy etc...LOL

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
It just confuses me as to how these "reporters" get payed to create these articles when somebody like me and most other people in the world are struggling to afford food for the week. Fire everybody at The Sun and employ us!

With the exception of the older journalists, it's interesting that they are very well educated. Political journalists require Degrees/MAs in that area e.g. Political Science, Philosophy etc. The general reporter is also educated to University level. A tabloid reporter can have the same level of formal education as their broadsheet peers.

In this light, it makes it interesting to read their articles. When they publish articles like this, they are fully aware that isn't current or news. So are their line managers. When the write inflammatory articles that simplify political situations they know what they are doing. The recent racial tone of The Express, Mail and Star is a good example. Very mischievous! and yes, Fire everybody at the Sun!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I noticed this morning that this story was also picked up by Reuters

Reuters - Alp Sized Peaks

This article goes into a more detail than the Sun and sheds a little more light on why this was news.

Using radar and gravity sensors, the experts made the first detailed maps of the Gamburtsev subglacial mountains, originally detected by Russian scientists 50 years ago at the heart of the East Antarctic ice sheet.

"The surprising thing was that not only is this mountain range the size of the Alps, but it looks quite similar to the (European) Alps, with high peaks and valleys," said Fausto Ferraccioli, a geophysicist at the British Antarctic Survey who took part in the research.

He told Reuters that the mountains would probably have been ground down almost flat if the ice sheet had formed slowly. But the presence of jagged peaks might mean the ice formed quickly, burying a landscape under up to 4 km (2.5 miles) of ice.

So evidently this was the first detailed mapping of them and has led to the conclusion that the ice sheet may have formed rather quickly.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
if we were lucky it would be the great 'mountians of madness' and the old ones would return to set the record straight!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

So evidently this was the first detailed mapping of them and has led to the conclusion that the ice sheet may have formed rather quickly.

The last remaining mountain range covered by water, which is not covered by sea. This sounds like a biblical passage.

"And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heavens were covered. Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered."
Genesis 7:19,20 KJV

Flash frozen.

I couldn't resist.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by fcbarcelona1984

NEVER TRUST THE SUN

Just don't.

Never.

top topics

join