It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sumer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I wanted to write a fiction novel about Sumer. Is there anywhere you suggest I go to read up on Sumerian history, mythology ect. I'm planning on writing a trilogy of ancient worlds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by James H. Church]

[edit on 24-2-2009 by James H. Church]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Hello James H. Church,

etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk...

www.historyfiles.co.uk...

ancientneareast.tripod.com...

I hope these help and Good Luck with your Trilogy.

cormac

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Thank you for the links, these are just what I need.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Check the USCD podcasts for details you can listen to as you drive places:
podcasts.ucsd.edu...

Another podcast (be aware that a good chunk of the very first podcast in any university series are dedicated to class management and are very dull if you're not taking the class:
podcast.ucsd.edu...

Basic FAQs:
home.comcast.net...

Overview and timeline:
www.fanaticus.org...

Annotated Enumma Elish:
faculty.gvsu.edu...

Teacher resources for Sumer (and other regional cultures), including art and some very famous stories :
www.fordham.edu...

More about culture and technology (some links to possible Biblical connections, but some good stuff here):
history-world.org...

Timeline with some additional information:
lexicorient.com...

religion, power, and politics:
www.fsmitha.com...

Cities, their chief deities, population estimates:
www.jameswbell.com...

trade routes:
www.bible-history.com...

Plumbing and houses:
www.theplumber.com...

One magical tradition -- the Demon Bowl. This is a fairly late tradition, but I've used it in fiction because it's soooooo cool! :
www.lib.umich.edu...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Ah you guys beat me, ah James have your written anything before, care to share the titles?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I haven't read these, but I thought you might be interested in some of the 'competition'.

The Days of Peleg

Jennifer Johnsson Garrity

Seems like a ripe area for epic narrative fiction and apparently neglected! Good luck

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Thank's for all the help, I've written a novel before, and I've written a few short stories. But nothings been published yet. The novel I have written is being edited at the moment. So I've decided to get to work on my next one. If you're interested the novels title is 'The Balance'. This trilogy is basically gonna be about ancient worlds, like Mesopotamia, Ancient Greece, Central America, Atlantis and maybe Australia. But it'll basically be a mix of a modern or otherwise unlikely stories with one of those settings. Again thank you for all the links, and I'll probably be back here soon looking for information on the other places.

top topics

join