It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I had a Night Terror in my Dream last night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
So I've been doing research on night terrors during the past year, but nothing recently. I’ve never had night terrors but I know someone close to me who does. So when I had a night terror in my dream last night, I thought it was very interesting and would share it with you. I haven’t heard of people having a night terror in their dream.

I was sleeping in after my husband had gone in to work. I was gently awoken to what felt like something sitting on my bed, at the foot of the bed. This is not a new feeling to me, because I am a medium and often spirits doing this to wake me up so I can assist them. I remember being aware that I kept of feeling a presence sitting in my bed- making my mattress rise and sink. I then remember trying to open my eyes and finding it very difficult to do so. I then remember prying my eyes open slightly and seeing a man wearing a black suit standing next to my bed- like black ops. I felt that this was a different entity aside from the spirit- and I knew he meant me harm. Perhaps the Men in Black? I then felt panicked and tried screaming and getting off the bed when I realized I couldn’t, I was paralyzed. My legs couldn’t move I couldn’t speak. I was hysterical! I dreamt I awoke screaming- having a night terror. This lasted for a couple of moments, when all of as sudden I said to myself, "Your dreaming, this is just a dream"- and I awoke to find myself in a cold sweat- and was so happy to learn that I was indeed having a dream.

What felt disturbing to me about this, is that this dream felt like it was happening for real. There was no weird dream stuff like purple clouds- I thought it was real. Everything I was experiencing was my normal waking reality. I was relieved to know that I awoke myself from that panic- but it sure was odd. All in all, I hope by telling this story that I can help others if they find themselves in this situation- to snap out of it quickly.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by xynephadyn]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

What you experienced was sleep paralysis and is terrifying to say the least. It was not night terrors. You truly do not remember night terrors.

As there is a lot of information out there on this I will quote Stanford.edu. Sorry, I'm feeling lazy tonight.

Sleep paralysis consists of a period of inability to perform voluntary movements either at sleep onset (called hypnogogic or predormital form) or upon awakening (called hypnopompic or postdormtal form).

Sleep paralysis may also be referred to as isolated sleep paralysis, familial sleep paralysis, hynogogic or hypnopompic paralysis, predormital or postdormital paralysis

What are the symptoms?

* A complaint of inability to move the trunk or limbs at sleep onset or upon awakening
* Presence of brief episodes of partial or complete skeletal muscle paralysis
* Episodes can be associated with hypnagogic hallucinations or dream-like mentation (act or use of the brain)

Is it harmful?

Sleep paralysis is most often associated with narcolepsy, a neurological condition in which the person has uncontrollable naps. However, there are many people who experience sleep paralysis without having signs of narcolepsy. Sometimes it runs in families. There is no known explanation why some people experience this paralysis. It is not harmful, although most people report feeling very afraid because they do not know what is happening, and within minutes they gradually or abruptly are able to move again; the episode is often terminated by a sound or a touch on the body.

In some cases, when hypnogogic hallucinations are present, people feel that someone is in the room with them, some experience the feeling that someone or something is sitting on their chest and they feel impending death and suffocation. That has been called the “Hag Phenomena” and has been happening to people over the centuries. These things cause people much anxiety and terror, but there is no physical harm.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I KNOW i didnt have a night terror. I DREAMT i had one. I dreamt I awoke screaming- having a night terror. And sleep paralysis is also associated with night terrors. I distinctly remember thinking I am having a night terror when I awoke from my dream.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by xynephadyn]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I have suffered from at least two similar episodes. I was completely paralyzed with fear in both dreams and felt the presence of a demon. One dream occurred while I was pregnant with my daughter and she was plagued by nightmares for years.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Change your food diet and external influences of your daily life. These minor but effective two things do create wonders.

new topics

top topics

join