It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Juan Enriquez shares mindboggling new science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have to admit that I really love to watch TED Talks every now and then .
I get new information on any subject from the world's leading thinkers of course the site claims that they are and I certainly have no doubt in that .
Any way I found this video for Juan Enriquez and I wanted to share it with every body because I found a real mind boggling new science.
Just watch the video and tell me what you think

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

Very interesting video Dr. UAE.

I`m a fan of TED Talks myself. The trouble with recession/depression times is that people become adverse to taking risks & parting with money for research etc, just it could be argued, when it is needed most.

I`m torn about the every increasing use of technology to manipulate our environment and bodies . We have moved away from having children unassisted , producing our own food etc etc increasing our dependence on others - something i grow more uneasy with day-by-day.

Will this lead to another strata in society , " the biologically enhanced " .... i watched Gattaca again last night, perhaps it is effecting my opinion.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Very interesting video, he is entirely right these three things are going to totaly change the world we live in. These aren't the only major tech innovations either,

Rapid Prototypers are getting very good, soon people will have instead of a printer a device able to download plans from the internet and produce useful items such as mp3 players, cups, clips and all manor of small items. This would mean a large amount of the factories will close, shipping and transport will be reduced.

Robots will further decrease the need for people to transport items, go to work, etc as will more advanced internets and software. Nasa had a great invention no one really talks about (must have gone black book) where they made a computer program with the desired abilitys of an aerial then it evolved an aerial which got the best results, the final thing was astounding -it made a triangle shaped aerial unlike any of the nasa designs which worked better than anything else nasa had made. Picture a few generations of this, you tell your computer to design an mp5 player which has these functions and is this shape, half an hour later it has printed it out fully working.

Mass-Transport by centrally controled flying pod cars is also not very far away, being able to take an underground tube into london without any hint of traffic or slowdown will come fairly soon, being able to get into your car or autotaxi and asking it to fly you to scotland while you curl up and read a book or take a nap will come soon after it. Thus the road networks will become obsolete.

Huge swaths of empty asphalt will once again become rolling pasture. the giant industrial and retail centers vast valleys of cement will break down under the trees again (or moderately priced rural style housing) and about 60% of the world, includeing most the ugly bits will revert back to it's former state. While we, healthy and long lived won't need to work so hard, won't get so stressed and will have the time needed to properly understand ourselves, make peace with the world and bring up our children properly. This great step forward will free us from so many of the things in the past we saw as inevitable, in a way it will cut us off from our past -the words of shakespear and dickins might not ring so true anymore, a new world will be upon us and it will be great.

Mitchio Kaku would probably call this the transition to a type one civerlization, he's probably right, we are getting ready to escape our little rock and enter a new phase of existence as we grow to fill our solar system.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

This was a great video by Juan Enrique illustrating how important robotics will be in the future and why. It really does change everything and point to our future selves. A future self I had not exactly considered but see clearly now. Also posted here. Must have been an off month - (Feb 2009) when both these threads were started.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I just watched it here.
www.ted.com...

Surprised some of this doesn't get a lot more attention on ATS.
Come on - Big Dog looks like a giant bug. Of course he already has a thread started here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

In addition to Big Dog this trachea was formed in a matter of hours and I had to look it up to see how it was done since it was mentioned in the OPs original video. Here is the youtube version. Just amazing.

And here is the Sticky-bot based on a gecko

edit on 20-10-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

join