It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bobby Jindal refuses Obama’s payout for Louisiana

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I want to congratulate my Governor for standing up for the people. Once again he has selflessly shown that he cares about the future of others.

Washington: Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal has announced that he will decline stimulus money specifically targeted at expanding state unemployment insurance coverage, becoming the first state executive to officially refuse any part of the federal government’s payout to states.

In a statement, Jindal, who is slated to give the Republican response to President Barack Obama’s message to Congress on Tuesday, expressed concern that expanding unemployment insurance coverage would lead to increased unemployment insurance taxes later on, Politico.com reported.

www.indianexpress.com...

I hope he continues to stand up for the people and stand against those whose only concerns are their political futures.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I'm glad someone is standing up to the loan shark, which is the federal government. When this money is used up, it will be up to the states to find ways to keep the level of spending....that can only mean one thing....Higher taxes.

More governors need to look at rejecting this obamanation.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
All this while he's demanding capital gains tax cuts for rich people and bankers. I wonder how the 25,000 unemployed people in his state feel about this? :shk:

There are several Governors who are planning to make this grandstanding move. I say great. That means more for the rest of the states.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
He might as well take it. Why? Because his taxpayers are going to be forced to pay it's share regardless. It's just another thing that is being forced upon the citizens of this country by the federal government.

Good old Arnie already said he'd take funds that other states did not want which quite honestly doesn't come as a surprise since California is beyond broke.

I wouldn't want to take the money either if I were governor and I probably wouldn't.

If anything I would be pushing for something completely different.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
All this while he's demanding capital gains tax cuts for rich people and bankers. I wonder how the 25,000 unemployed people in his state feel about this? :shk:

There are several Governors who are planning to make this grandstanding move. I say great. That means more for the rest of the states.

Well you have got to understand BH that the bankers are the ones who create jobs.

The rich create jobs... All the rest are just lazy...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I want to congratulate my Governor for standing up for the people.

And as a stock broker I want to short BOOBIE big time.

It's not often you KNOW a guy is going to lose. This is a sure thing.

The "people" he "stood up for" will retire him shortly. Bank on it.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Screed]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

I wonder how the 25,000 unemployed people in his state feel about this? :shk: .

If they bought into the hype that this 'stimulus' package would somehow create jobs, then they might be unhappy. If they understand that this 'stimulus' is not saving the economy then they will be proud of their govenor. If they care about their childrens future they will understand that this is just generational theft and then they will be proud of their govenor. If they understand what slippery slope this country is now on and that Obama is worse than Jimmy Carter, then they will be proud of their govenor.

The last Govenor Jindal approval rating reported had him at 77 percent.

That's much higher than the 60% that your Obama has at the moment.

The people of Louisiana approve of their govenor. So do I.

I'm sure he'll be running in 2012. He would be a good choice for the republicans. His resume is much, much, thicker then Obama's and the direction he wants to lead towards is one that both the people of Louisiana, and I, approve of.

Govenor Jindal.

edited immediately to fix typo (it's too early in the AM to be keyboarding.
)

[edit on 2/24/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

Well you have got to understand BH that the bankers are the ones who create jobs.

Your sarcasm is lost in truth because what you say is actually correct. Do the poor create jobs? No. Because they have no means to start a business of their own.

Do the middle class create jobs? Only if they have jobs, themselves and a surplus of money.

Do the more wealthy create jobs? Yes, when they aren't forced to make cuts.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Well you have got to understand BH that the bankers are the ones who create jobs. The rich create jobs... All the rest are just lazy...

Atlas Shrugged.

Those rich folks that everyone love to hate are the ones that invest their money which in turn creates business which in turn creates jobs. Over burden the rich with excess taxes and strangle them with restrictions in the name of 'wealth redistribution' and the whole country will suffer.

Atlas shrugged is fiction, but it's very accurate when it comes to cause and effects on the economy. Read up everyone.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   

If they have a brain, they understand that it's the smartest move, ever, not to incur more debt and to be seeking a true means of stimulating the economy by helping the job-creating class which will ultimately help them.

If the upper class doesn't get help and has to continually make cuts because their tax rates increased, how is everyone else supposed to get work? Logic is a wonderful thing, when you use it.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Oh, yeah... right. I've been so illogical! I keep thinking that these bankers are partially responsible for this mess we're in because they loaned money to people, knowing they couldn't pay it back, convincing them that they could... I keep thinking they're a greedy bunch of lying criminals who take public money to "invest in" their lives (jets, mansions, yachts and staff) to maintain it in the manner to which they are accustomed, while the "regular people" are losing their jobs and becoming homeless because of foreclosure on the loans that the greedy bastards tricked them into in the first place...

I keep forgetting the wealthy are the good guys and we should be thankful to them... Oh, thank you bankers for creating so many jobs! Thank you Mr. Bush for redistributing the wealth to the richest 1% with tax shelters, tax cuts and loopholes for your friends!!

Golly, I keep forgetting how lazy those people are! My husband is probably going to get real lazy here pretty soon. I wish our governor would be as logical as Mr. Jindal and refuse the money to help us out when my husband gets thrown out on is ass after a lifetime of dedication to a career... Yeah, I keep forgetting. :shk:

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
why not take it now and deals with the strings later. after all, isn't that the american "way?"

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
He should take all he can get for Louisiana and simply not spend it. He should just put it in the bank and use it to subsidize tax breaks for his constituents when Obama eventually hikes taxes to 50% to pay for the bailout (probably in his second term).

Either that, or accept money for new infra works. Money on infrastructure is almost never wasted. New and better roads, trains and airports can't be a bad thing to spend money on.

The children of the future will be left with the bill, but without a stimulus people won't be able to afford to have children at all. Its your choice. An indebted generation or a lost generation.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

They probably feel a little bit of hope that they can get their jobs back.

You know, since cutting their capital gains taxes will give them more capital to hire those people back.

You could be right though....they probably would have been just as well to take that whopping $13 bucks a week.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

It's not 13 bucks a week. If that's what you think this is about, you're misinformed. It's for expanding and lengthening unemployment. These people's unemployment is going to be cut off instead of continued because Jindal is running for president in 2012.

I'm sure these people want their jobs back, but unemployment benefits would put food on the table until that time.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

It's for expanding and lengthening unemployment.

Which is a mistake.

We need to come up with ways to get these people back to work, not ways to encourage them to stay unemployed.

These people's unemployment is going to be cut off instead of continued because Jindal is running for president in 2012.

Fantastic!

Maybe the lack of unemployment coming in paired with the tax relief on the employers will allow them to hire some people back!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I think you're assuming that the majority of American people in general would rather sit back and collect a check from the government than go out and do an honest day's work. While there are people like that, they are a small minority and they were without a job before the massive job layoffs associated with the economy came along. People collecting unemployment now are those who have recently lost their jobs, like in the past few months. There are no jobs there.

Recor d Numbers Standing in Unemployment Lines

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Unemployment lines stretched to the longest on record, the Labor Department reported Thursday, a sign that the U.S. labor market continues to worsen.

Continuing jobless claims rose by 159,000 in the week ended Jan. 17 to a seasonally adjusted 4.78 million, the most since the government's records began in 1967.

I don't really know what you're thinking about these people, but to assume that people on unemployment are there because they prefer it to having a job is a sad statement about your opinion of the American citizen. I don't share it.

In the 1930's Unemployment lines also grew. I suppose those people were just sitting back wanting to collect benefits...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Maybe if you actually read about Jindal's Decision you would see how wrong your assumptions are.

Jindal is refusing the stimulus money BECAUSE it taxes businesses more. He is still increasing UE benefits by $25 a week, but without the federal $$.

You see, he did the research, and found...

According to the Louisiana Workforce Commission (LWC), based on claims filed during 2008, the $32.8 million would run out in under three years and from that point on, the state would be required to pass along the cost of more than $12 million a year for supporting this expansion of benefits to Louisiana businesses.

...snip...

“Our goal at the Louisiana Workforce Commission is to help make Louisiana a better place to do business. Increasing unemployment taxes on businesses when they might already be struggling to keep their employees on the payroll would be counterproductive.”

As a resident of Louisiana, I can assure you, anyone receiving UE in this state, CHOOSES to remain unemployed. There is a lot of work available here.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mental Modulator

And here we have the greatest deception of the republican party.

"The Rich Create Jobs"

This is nothing more than "which came first, the chicken or the egg"

Except this one is a lot less complicated.

There has to be a demand from a paying customer for an item before a business can be created to produce the item and make money.

Therefore, the customer came first.

Goods create jobs.
Consumers create rich people.

Rich people do not create jobs.
They're just a bi-product of them.

This Governor has you fooled if you seriously believe his intentions for turning down the money.

His plan basically boils down to this:

• Turn away money for broke, unemployed, struggling families
  • Take money to give to rich people to create new jobs that can't be created because nobody has any money to buy the products being produced.

It literally is that simple

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Fremd]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The governors who refuse to take it should also refuse to pay into it.

Let the fed force them to pay. Let the states resist. Let all this BS come crumbling down as it should have long ago.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join