It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pen and Paper RPGs - Who here games or used to?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Just curious, as many gamers seem to be into the subjects we delve into here on ATS/BTS...

Nowadays, I occassionally (not even once a month) game with some old friends, but it's really more just to get together with them, catch up, have some food and drink...and swap stories....

Once real life becomes more interesting, we seem to move away from our virtual excursions...

Myself, I've played almost any of the RPGs out there at one time or another, but always come back to D&D....(in various versions)

Mostly enjoyed RIFTS, Vampire (and other WOD), Shadowrun, but tried others like Star Trek, Star Wars, and some of the old school obscure ones...

Who else here isn't afraid to admit to ubergeekness?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Word! Hell, I was excited when Gary Gygax made a guest appearance on the animated show, Code Monkeys, the first season of which was some sweet geekness. It's been a long time since those ten sided dice rolling days of yore, but I still remember fondly.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I admit it. I was a Dungeon Master. The creativity and imagination part of it was what made it so fun. You actully were in the same room with people sharing the story, stroking that group dynamic that is so absent from today's stale, on-line, digital gaming grinds.

What a great excuse D&D was for a group of friends to get together in one place for several hours and stretch their brains all in the same direction. No online gaming that I have ever done, and I used to do a lot of it, has compared to good old P&P AD&D.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Ah yes I used to be the uber rpg geek in the late 70s , AD&D and Traveller were my favorites. We also played other stuff I migrated from old SPI board Wargames, I still play Traveller and Advanced Squad Leader when the situation presents itself. I havent played Dungeons and Dragons since Wizards of the Coast took it over, I dont even recognize the game anymore.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

What a great excuse D&D was for a group of friends to get together in one place for several hours and stretch their brains all in the same direction. No online gaming that I have ever done, and I used to do a lot of it, has compared to good old P&P AD&D.

Exactly... Of course, back in those days, we'd game a lot more often, and actually have campaigns... These days, it's more like a dungeon crawl, and really just to unwind... Some of us were even lucky enough to marry fellow geeks, so a couple of wives play.

I can agree with the WOTC comments, but we really play a version more akin to the TSR 2nd edition rules, but with Feats added in... 4th edition just seems watered down...(D&D Lite, maybe?)

join