It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple Pens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hey all, I am new to these forums and have been a lurker for a week or so now.

I just signed up, and have a random question that I'm wondering if someone may be able to explain to me.

When Obama signed the stimulus bill today - why did he use an array of pens?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by derickonfire

The normally use one pen for each letter of their name when signing certain legislation. Those pens, in turn, are given to certain special guests at the legislation signing.

I don't know if this is the case for all legislation or just certain, special, "publicized" signings.

link   
My question was better elevatedone.

I have noticed this done several times now. Not just today.

I am curious about the answer.

link   
So that he could give them out to people, in Congress and others, whom helped write and pass the bill. I know that President Clinton and President George W. Bush did this as well.

- Boat

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Funny that some of us are just noticing it now.
Thanks for the input folks.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
So I still don't get it.
They use different pens just so they could give them out?

I would like to hear more points on this.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Bah, he should have kept them and then put them up on ebay. The profits could have went to pay for this pet project. I am sure someone would have met the reserve price just to have a piece of history.

"Now is your chance to own a piece of history. This pen is certified as one of the ten that completely destroyed the 'Greatest Nation on Earth' on Feb 17, 2009. Contrary to campaign promise common misinterpretations, this pen took its part in eliminating the hopes and dreams of millions. Reserve price must be met and shipping will conducted by personal courier via Air Force One or Marine One depending on location. Rates vary but are close to $68,000 per mile"

Seller History: OBH44 has 0 positive ratings, 0 negative ratings, 0 sales, 0 purchases.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well should have did a quick search before being so lazy and ask others for the answers.

This is what I found.

from wikianswers

I think that they keep at least one of the pens for the future presidential libraries. Also as souvenirs for the sponsor(s) and co-sponsor(s) of the Bill. Etc. Probably put one in some vault in the Smithsonian or somewhere else should the Bill eventually become a major policy changer. Imagine the pen used to write the Gettysburg Address or that wrote/signed the Emancipation Proclamation.

Yahoo also had a similar answer.

Tried using inurl:gov for some more official answers and came up with this interesting line.

President Clinton surely sensed it when he took two pens and signed the Act into law. The first pen was the same one used by President Eisenhower to sign the Federal Highway Act of 1956,

Source2

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Thanks for the good answers, I kind of figured it was something along the lines. But I was thinking it was just some stupid tradition - maybe one pen representing something differently or something.

And also, LOLZebra - I did a very quick google search, but didn't find anything significant. Why waste my time if others know the answer already?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by derickonfire

I asked the same question.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
In the old days the presidents used to write out several copies of their speeches or laws and hand those out.Which is why there are five handwritten copies of the Gettysburg Address.

so this must just be the easier modern version.

top topics

join