It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish Scientists Decode Schizophrenia!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Turkish scientists have discovered that excessive of agmatine by brain caused schizophrenia which is a mental disorder with no treatment.

Professor Tayfun Uzbay, chairman of the Department of the Pharmacology of the Gulhane Military Medical Academy (GATA), and his team conducted a series of experiments in the last five years on rats in the laboratory on effects of agmatine.

They injected excessive amount of agmatine into rats and observed later that they developed schizophrenia.

They also unveiled that three substance used in agriculture sector in the United States to kill fungus and parasites could be used in treatment of schizophrenia.

Results of their study was published in the European Neuropsychopharmacology and the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

Schizophrenia is characterized by abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality. Some of its symptoms include hallucinations, delusions, disorganized speech and thinking and significant social or occupational dysfunction.

Professor Tayfun Uzbay, the Gülhane Military Academy of Medicine (GATA) department of medical pharmacology head, and his team of doctors found that rats, when injected with high amounts of agmatine, model schizophrenia, the Anatolia news agency reported yesterday. GATA's January news bulletin noted that the study was supported by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) and that both the European Neuropsychopharmacology and the Journal of Psychopharmacology agreed to publish the results.

Link;
www.todayszaman.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Interesting, but how on earth can you tell if a rat has Schizophrenia??? It's not like they can tell you the voices in my head told me to kill my mother...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Dont tell me, they are in two minds over this one!

2nd line

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Interesting...

Agmatine and Near-Death Experiences

The twenty-first century search for a scientific explanation of near-death experiences (NDEs) is likely to benefit from the rapidly growing knowledge base generated by neuroscientists and other researchers.
In conclusion, a variety of evidence seems to suggest that excess extracellular agmatine may induce near-death experiences in susceptible individuals. Because agmatine is an NMDA antagonist released in substantial quantities in hypoxic-ischemic conditions, it satisfies the two key criteria that must be satisfied by any potential endogenous mediator of near-death experiences. Future research should help to further clarify the role of agmatine in near-death situations.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchNLearn
Interesting, but how on earth can you tell if a rat has Schizophrenia??? It's not like they can tell you the voices in my head told me to kill my mother...

pn.psychiatryonline.org...

I was reading the other day on one particular medication they give to dogs at doses they don't even start us out at. But, just to be fair, they also apparently test these on people at risk for severe reactions also.

I wonder how many other similar reactions to other toxins or chemicals in the body that also produce these same affects. I think part of the problem is environmental and blood brain barrier sensitivity.

I wonder how people taken to retreats do in other environments that aren't chaotic or threatening? Put a person in an assylum or prison and their glutamates will jump as well. I think we produce our own toxins sometimes due to stress.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Excellent point. Not to mention, a lot of institutional workers are probably egging it on, that is a low-paid profession that doesn't always attract the cream of the crop.

Good for them if they can find a way to treat this! We have a private group treatment home near my house and that is not a life I would wish on anyone. A former boss has a similar syndrome called schizotypal disorder which a milder version and his life is no picnic.

new topics

top topics

join