It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worldwide Database

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
An interesting read about the new Facebook Terms and Conditions.

I have never been comfortable with their original T&C's with regard to photos (basically they can do what they like with them), but now their new statements means that even if you delete or terminate your account they STILL have perpetual rights to your content.

You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof.

The usage of facebook is exploding, essentially creating a world-wide-database of people, full of plenty of information.

Read the full article here

Mix this in with current technology (see this thread I wrote previously ) and we merrily hand away our data to the highest bidder.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysQuestion
The usage of facebook is exploding, essentially creating a world-wide-database of people, full of plenty of information.

The internet already is a world-wide-database of people. I'm sure the government has everyone's records hidden on a database un-accessible by us, only government officials.

So, we can't really do anything about our pictures on Facebook now that they have them. Too late.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Yeah these social networking sites suck! I unfortunately made a facebook a few years ago and found out I cant delete my account lol. These kind of sites are perfect for collecting data, especially when people post birthdays, photos, interests, email, you get the point. BTW never had a myspace and never will

new topics

join