It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-16 tyres burst at Indian airshow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Great sales pitch this one:

news.yahoo.com...

BANGALORE, India (AFP) – Two tyres of an F-16 burst while the fighter jet was landing after a display at an Indian airshow on Sunday, the organisers said, adding that no one was hurt.

US-based aerospace giant Lockheed Martin, which hopes to sell 126 such jets to India, said the accident did not disrupt other flights on the final day of the five-day show in this southern Indian city

`heat and friction` - so a normal landing in hot weather can cause this - looks like the F-16 just `crashed out` of this competition.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I don't know why India allowed this obsolete piece of junk into competition

India should not purchase the F-16
it should either go for mig-35,F-18 or rafale/typhoon or gripen

best choice would be eeither mig-35 or f-18

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sadchild01

The F 16 is not such a bad plane... You would get many more F 16's for your money than you would get Mig 35's... That's even if you could buy the Migs!

Same goes for the F-18 if your talking about the super hornets, the older hornets would be a better option but I know if my arm was twisted I would happily settle for a F 16 or 2!

Edit: and I doubt anyone other than the countries developed Typhoon would be getting their hands on a Eurofighter for a long time... It's just to good, you can't just go giving away your A game to anyone with the cash,

[edit on 15/2/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Austria and Saudi Arabia have allready bought Typhoon and they wern`t in the consortium to build them.....

[edit on 15/2/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Would it really be out of competition? Eurocopter crashed near Townsville, yet was still selected for the Australian Army? My money is still on the Mig, or, F-18 though.

reply to post by sadchild01

Block 52 aircraft, and particularly block 60 aircraft, are extremely advanced; there avionic performance is beginning to become similar the Block II Super Hornet. Probably more advanced and perhaps cheaper than other aircraft in the competition...

[edit on 15/2/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Perhaps a victim of the Global Economic Scam/Crisis?
They could only afford retreads?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01
I don't know why India allowed this obsolete piece of junk into competition

Obsolete? I dont think so bud... the Block 60 that the Indians are gonna get is far from being obsolete! If it only had TVC then it would be just as good as the MiG 35.

India should not purchase the F-16

Why not? Its a good AC especialy the Bl60 and lets wait for the MCRA outcome shall we?

it should either go for mig-35,F-18 or rafale/typhoon or gripen

F-18 and Typhoon are already out off the race due to being redundant since they fall into the SU-30 type off AC.

MiG 35, F16 and Rafale have the most chance off winning the competition.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
by your counting then so is Rafale out of the compeition since its the same class as the typhoon.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
by your counting then so is Rafale out of the compeition since its the same class as the typhoon.

Well, If it falls in the same class then yes, the Rafale is redundant but it has a chance off making it due to comonality and same infrastructure as with the Mirage 2000 wich India currently has in service.

Aside that notion.

It is painfull indeed for LM to having a F16 tyre blowing up in India but if India keeps a clear mind then it will know that something like that could happen to any AC.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I don't think that an unfortunate tire failure, even one as bizarre as this is going to affect the choice of aircraft that India will make, nor does it reflect poorly on the aircraft, itself.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
There is ZERO commonality between the Rafale and Mirage 2000, you might as well say that India would be better off buying Typhoon because they fly Jaguars as well.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
lol..
Who's covering AeroIndia09 here?
Where did StealthSpy go? Is he onsite there?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
There is ZERO commonality between the Rafale and Mirage 2000, you might as well say that India would be better off buying Typhoon because they fly Jaguars as well.

Realy?

Then it appears my brains must have been deprieved off oxygen but thanks for the correction wayn. A star for the effort already

Then the only way that is gonna save the Rafale is the fact that it is French and that India operates AC from said nation.

Asides nationality, the Rafale would be doomed just like the F18 and Typhoon as it appears right now.

Gripen NG, F16 and MiG 35 with the latter having the best odds now to win the Competition.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
...and where's Intelgurl? [whisper]She must be on a "mission"[/whisper]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
My brother was an A-10 crew chief in the 80's. The F-16's were called "Lawn Darts" by the crews because of their common "nose in the dirt" landings.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
No, they were called Lawn Darts because of so many crashes.

new topics

top topics

join