It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sam the Koala - Bushfire Survivor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

THE firefighter who gave an injured koala a drink of water during the Victoria fires will be recognized by an animal rights group. "Sam" the koala was spotted by Victorian volunteer firefighter David Tree moving around on scorched paws. Mr Tree crouched down and offered the furry marsupial a gulp from his water bottle, which she accepted, placing her paw in his hand as she drank three bottles. (Full news article)

Photos

As depressing as the fires were (and still are) this footage manages to bring a smile to the face of Australia. I think that what this man did was heroic, and it makes you wonder how an animal like a koala managed to find a safe place away from the fires.

Roswell.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
A koala assisted by a man named Tree. Very poetic. It's a grim world, but these smalls acts of kindness really do make it seem a little brighter. Thanks for the boost, roswell1.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
That sure does bring a tear to your eye, The poor little thing musthave been so scared, I heard its doing really well and getting treatment and pain relief for its little paws,

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Sam is doing really well and has a new boyfriend, Bob.

Sam and Bob.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
and for those of you who did not know this:

1) koala's almost never drink water. they get the moisture from chewing leaves.

2) koala's are not all cute cuddly and friendly.. they are usually a bit of a cranky animal that are generally best left alone unless you want to feel the wrath of those long claws.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Obliv_au

That really says a lot about the demeanor of the firefighter, and the desperation of poor Sam. Great story, in the midst of all the misery.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

true, i suspect the only reason sam wasnt up a tree was because her paws were burnt and thus prevented her climbing easily.

koala's are rarely seen on the ground because they become easy prey.

[edit on 14/2/09 by Obliv_au]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
They said on the news that a Koala's kidneys shut down very quickly when they're dehydrated, so Sam probably would have died if it wasn't for David...

Edit: Just wondering, does anyone have any photos footage or stories relating to animal survival in the fires this year? I saw some footage of a chicken running through the remains of a fire-ravaged house and I've been looking for that video ever since...

Roswell.

[edit on 15/2/2009 by roswell1]

new topics

top topics

join