It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Community - Necessary for Survival before/during/after TEOTWAWKI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I posted on another thread ..Beyond the Apocalypse; Surviving in the next Dark Age.. about "community" and how it will be necessary to survive. Others have stated the same thing.

So along that vein of thinking, what do YOU believe would be necessary to create a sustainable community of people for before/during/after TEOTWAWKI?

As I mentioned, this is something I've been giving alot of thought to over the past week or so. In my ponderings I've come up with a few things/abilities that I feel will be an absolute must. Most of these things are "general" in scope. i.e. Tailor would be anyone able/willing to spin/weave/sew.

Keeping that in mind, you also need to take into consideration the gathering of the raw materials needed. (i.e. Tailor will require raw matieral (cotton, string, etc) in order to produce the end product.)

Leatherworker
Tailor
Blacksmith
Farmer (agri)
Animal Husbandry
Doctor/Nurse
Engineer (for building large things)
Electrician
Plumber

This is a short list, but is all I can come up with off the top of my head.

Another thing I think is crucial to community harmony is nothing to do with "religion" should be discussed during public meetings! And I also believe, although not sure how this would work, that important decisions that effect the community should be discussed in public meetings and decided on by everyone. No "King Of The Hill" crap.

Anyone else have any insights they would like to add?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Don't forget sheriff! Then you may need some laws to enforce, enter the council, politician, ......... uh-oh.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
So you believe that all society should have or needs "politicians"? Is there no way for people to live socially together without them?

Good question. I think in today's society the sheriff would definately be a necessity since there are way too many greedy self-centered folks around. But after TEOTWAWKI would that be something that we need to concentrate on right away? A need to "police" the members of our own community?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cnichols

Dont forget some sort of religious figure. if TSHTF people are going to flock to religion for answers.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Like I said in the other thread, and is mentioned just above, you will need people adept in spirituality. But I think that people need to realize that it is greed at all levels, including the religious level, that has gotten us into this mess.
Greed folks need not apply.

And something else to consider - if this is the aim of everyone's intentions, they need to start hording books as well as food and whatnot for the BOB.

I've got a vast collection right now and I wouldn't dare part with a single one of them when this hits the fan. In fact, I have a few books out on loan now that I'm going to request I get back. Noam Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival is too important to just give away.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

While I don't necessarily agree with current "Christian" philosophy and practice I can understand why some folks would feel the need for it. Although, as I stated, I believe religion should be kept seperate from the general "operation" of the community's decisions.

Three things you should never talk about in public, Religion, Pollitics and Sex

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
And something else to consider - if this is the aim of everyone's intentions, they need to start hording books as well as food and whatnot for the BOB.

I've got a vast collection right now and I wouldn't dare part with a single one of them when this hits the fan. In fact, I have a few books out on loan now that I'm going to request I get back. Noam Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival is too important to just give away.

Agreed with 100%. Knowledge MUST be saved. Without all of the stored and vast knowledge available to us know we would definately be back in the dark ages.

Sadly my collection is extremely limited atm but it is definately something that I've promised myself to work on. Some very good posts here under this forum have quite a number of extremely useful links and I am in the process (slowly but surely) of visiting and bookmarking them.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
With all the things that have been popping up the past two days on ATS I thougt I would bring this back up on the list.

Community is going to be VITAL when TSHTF. In order to survive this coming economic disaster we will HAVE to pull together. Violence will only perpetuate violence.

Surely there are people here on ATS who have given this some thought? Who have something to contribute to this thread?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I think a community is Key to living after shtf but I think relegion should be kept to individual beliefs for those of you who think mass relegion in a troubling time is a good idea I think you should watch The Mist
seems to me that every community needs an Ollie..

new topics

top topics

join