It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NYPD Data Shows Record Number of Stop-and-Frisks in 12-Month Period

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

New NYPD Data Shows Record Number of Stop-and-Frisks in 12-Month Period

www.ccrjustice.org

531,000 New Yorkers Stopped and Frisked in 2008: Numbers Show Shocking Racial Disparities

the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) responded to new data released to the City Council by the New York City Police Department showing the final total of stop-and-frisks for 2008 to be a record 531,159, over 80% of which were of Black and Latino New Yorkers. The NYPD is required to keep a database of its stop-and-frisks as a result of CCR’s 1999 racial profiling lawsuit filed in the wake of the Amadou Diallo shooting, Daniels v. City of New York.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ccrjustice.org
www.chicagotribune.com
faculty.ncwc.edu

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

[edit on Sat Feb 14th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Police stops-and-frisks without reasonable suspicion violate the Fourth Amendment, and racial profiling is a violation of fundamental rights and protections of the Fourteenth Amendment and the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

What gets me here is that if they are violating the 4th, why is this allowed at all?
The low arrest and detention rates of these people frisked SHOWS that many of these are unreasonable search and seizure.

From 2005 through 2008, approximately 80 percent of total stops made were of Blacks and Latinos, who comprise 25 percent and 28 percent of New York City’s total population, respectively. During this same time period, only approximately 10 percent of stops were of Whites, who comprise 44 percent of the city’s population.

If this is happening in NY City, why would it be unreasonable to assume the same thing is happening in other major cities?

The controversy hit a peak last February when the council revealed that NYPD officers in 2006 stopped more than 508,000 people on the street and questioned them.

A furor of criticism followed, with police accused of routinely stopping blacks and Hispanics without good reason. The number of stops then dropped in the following months and the year ended with about 40,000 less stops than in 2006.

Oh, I see. So if a firestorm of criticism follows, the numbers of these frisks reduces? What's wrong with this picture? If they were doing it with probable cause, the numbers would remain roughly the same regardless of the criticism! But they dropped!

www.ccrjustice.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Sounds like the cops are messing with the black folks. They obviously do this all over America. Security guards like to do this racial profiling stuff more, though, since they run into you first.

It's like some organized, one-minded, large Nazi conspiracy... no wait, it's actually a little TOO organized and like-minded.

It also has the obvious intention of dividing the populace.

That's the thing, they want to divide.. but why would you divide unless you intended to conquer?? And how come it's so organized, so many cops into it??

The only way you would need to divide or conquer the "people", is if it were an alien takeover or something like that.

That's why I say it is some aliens trying to conquer the planet earth. Honestly, why else would the cops and security guards need to chase black americans so vigorously and violently?? Aren't they already in prison?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
if i say the word -----drug dealer

wht comes to mind or the picture in your head???

probably a black guy right????

granted it's not right or true,,, but i bet most will picture a black person

and granted it's rascist or racism,,, but some is brought on by themselves

how many rappers brag about slinging dope,,,,smoking a blunt,, hustling,,, or carrying a glock???

granted that's a small population but,,,it does influence.,,,and i'm sure some psychology major could explain why,, but i cAn't

also,,,as i experienced as well,,,,cops target kids,,,, i was pulled over on a weekly basis..

also,,,i now realize driving a vw bus with stickers,,, and a few lowrider trucks brought some of that heat on myself,,,somewhat portraying an image,,,,,although most times i did nothing wrong,,, so ,it really made me mad

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Flag & Stars, TA.

Real good thread ya got here. I'm no mathametician, but the staggering
numbers seem like around 50,000 per month almost...or 1500 per day!?!

That's alot of aggression by police, who are supposed to set a good example!?! "Protect & Serve" gets eroded badly with this news.

And what's scary, is, how many were actually shake-downs, where the cops take things from these citizens, and no-one says anything about it...

More crooked tactics by a flourishing police state, coming soon to a neighborhood near YOU! "Precept & Strafe" might be more accurate!

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Well, maybe there is an attempted explanation for this, seeing as we don't have many cops commenting on this (hint hint). If cops tend to patrol neighborhoods with a lot of crime, and those neighborhoods tend to be mostly inhabited by those races, then naturally the statistics will show a disparity and be biased against them. Seems reasonable on its surface, right?

Well it isn't. And here's why. Police themselves need to start spreading around their efforts to combat more than blue collar crime. And especially, start policing themselves. Right now as I sit here typing, there are many police officers caught in the middle. They know things about other officers, and police chiefs that are so damning that it may compromise their jobs if they said anything. And it may compromise their lives. Well hey buddies, welcome to the club. It's what we're ALL up against.

I just saw a report that said the FBI is now concentrating less on terrorists and more on corporate fraud. Well it's about fricken time?

FBI turns to fraud after focus on terror

rawstory.com...

With the economic crisis unrelenting, the United States is stepping up its fight against white collar crime, which has been trumped by the fight on terror.

"Let's give our law enforcement agencies the tools and resources they need, said Senator Patrick Leahy, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, at a a hearing Wednesday.

"All the ordinary Americans who have suffered the brunt of this (economic crisis) want to know that we're doing everything possible" to combat white collar crime, he added.

In the most sensational case of its kind in years, former Nasdaq stock exchange chairman Bernard Madoff was arrested in early December after allegedly confessing to his two sons and to the FBI that he had run a 50-billion-dollar pyramid fraud known as a Ponzi scheme.

Investors caught in Madoff's alleged fraud include Hollywood celebrities, charities, universities, and major financial institutions including UBS, HSBC, JP Morgan Chase, BNP Paribas and Citigroup.

Over the past few years, the FBI has been steadily beefing up its teams fighting white collar crime -- fraud and corruption that has had disastrous consequences for families and the balance of the financial system.

"After 9/11, we moved almost 2,000 criminal investigative resources over to national security matters, particularly counter-terrorism," FBI Deputy Director John Pistole told Leahy's committee.

"We have been gradually moving those back. And have done that in terms of priority areas, such as this mortgage fraud and the corporate fraud area which is potentially as significant in terms of long-term complex investigations."

Instead of ridding this system from fraud from the bottom up, it's time to start from the top down. Without the sanction of the higher ups, the ones below are going to have a much tougher time.

new topics

top topics

join