It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Planets & an Unknown Object Discovered Beyond the Solar System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Interesting article ... maybe even discovered a planet similar to earth just a little smaller, but still interesting ... have to read the whole thing ...

Two exoplanets and an unknown celestial object, findings of the European Space Agency's COROT mission, an important stepping stones in the European effort to find habitable, Earth-like planets around other stars. These discoveries mean that the mission has now found a total of four new exoplanets.

The two new planets discovered by COROT are gas giants of the hot Jupiter type, which orbit very close to their parent star and tend to have extensive atmospheres because heat from the nearby star gives them energy to expand.

In addition, an oddity dubbed ‘COROT-exo-3b’ has raised particular interest among astronomers. It appears to be something between a brown dwarf, a sub-stellar object without nuclear fusion at its core but with some stellar characteristics, and a planet. Its radius is too small for it to be a super-planet.

If it is a star, it would be among the smallest ever detected. Follow-up observations from the ground have pinned it at 20 Jupiter masses, which makes it twice as dense as the metal Platinum.

“COROT has also detected extremely faint signals that, if confirmed, could indicate the existence of another exoplanet, as small as 1.7 times Earth’s radius.”

Full Article Here

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
cool post but

The two new planets discovered by COROT are gas giants of the hot Jupiter type, which orbit very close to their parent star and tend to have extensive atmospheres because heat from the nearby star gives them energy to expand.

how can we live on a gas giant?... i wish they would look for little rocky planets instead not big gas giants !!

And yes i know its harder to dectect small rocks but this is just saying the same old same

The most important body in our solar system is our moon!!!

its right there just beyond the kyber blet!! "grin" + radiotion but never the less

lets head to the mooooon its the new wild west!!! "well i think it is" hehe

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by theresult

look at the last quote in the external source in my post it's not talking about the gas giants that were discovered it's talking about a planet similar to earth ...

[edit on 13-2-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
In addition, an oddity dubbed ‘COROT-exo-3b’ has raised particular interest among astronomers. It appears to be something between a brown dwarf, a sub-stellar object without nuclear fusion at its core but with some stellar characteristics, and a planet. Its radius is too small for it to be a super-planet.

ohhh i seeee well i didnt pay to much attention to that becouse it says "we dont know what the # it is.."

could be a ufo for all i know becouse thats how silly the statement is hehe

I was looking more at the gas giant aspect becouse atleast they know what they are looking at!!

But i will agree "something" is not as it seems =) with that quote if read correctly.. anomoly?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by theresult

ohhh i seeee well i didnt pay to much attention to that becouse it says "we dont know what the # it is.."

could be a ufo for all i know becouse thats how silly the statement is hehe

I was looking more at the gas giant aspect becouse atleast they know what they are looking at!!

But i will agree "something" is not as it seems =) with that quote if read correctly.. anomoly?

no this one

“COROT has also detected extremely faint signals that, if confirmed, could indicate the existence of another exoplanet, as small as 1.7 times Earth’s radius.”

although assuming this estimate is correct it does make it nearly twice earth's radius

[edit on 13-2-2009 by iforget]

top topics

join