It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orbiting satellites collide

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

NASA = National Arab Satilite Assoc.! It could happen!!! Maybe not!

Zindo

[edit on 2/12/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
I'm kinda glad someone ele found that pic of the space junk in orbit...but there's a few more too..

and you'll find them here on this thread
space debris illustrated

Okay first of all, it's not a PIC - as the poster said it's a SIMULATION.

Second, what you need to realize is the junk in that picture has been scaled WAY out of proportion to look immensely larger than it really is. Think about it realistically - if we actually had junk of that size orbiting the Earth we would have problems with sunlight being blocked.

I don't think the majority of you realize the immense size that the Earth actually is in comparison to even the largest of satellites.

Think of it this way - a medium to large city being the Earth versus a marble, which is your largest satellite. Even with thousands of marbles around the city there's such a small chance that they would collide.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Here is the other thread about this
just thought I'd throw it in here..
The other sat thread
Peace

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Wow! Who knew this would cause such a ruckus?

Some information to clear this up, if any question remains:
www.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Is it possible for two orbiting satellites to collide?

Collisions between satellites are indeed unlikely, but their likelihood increases rapidly with the number of satellites: increase the number of satellites 10 times and, other things being equal, the likelihood of collision grows 100-fold.

It all depends on the orbits of course. Most satellites move in low-altitude Earth orbit, 600-1000 kilometer above the ground. At any time, this space is filled by thousands of pieces of matter--satellites, rocket stages, cast-off pieces of hardware (like weights used to slow down satellite spin), etc., about 100,000 pieces, most of them fragments from exploding rockets, but also including some 7500 larger accountable pieces of space hardware. Space is huge, but all these are moving rapidly. Luckily, all motions are essentially in the same direction (west to east, chosen to take advantage of the Earth's rotation) with almost the same speed. Even so, that speed is enormous, and collisions still may occur, since the orbits make different angles with the Earth's equator.

So far, the problem is not serious.

[edit on 12/2/09 by paperplanes]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Well Well,

ON C2C 2 nights ago, a contributer stated that the Russian satellite was " dead" and had been for a while... was some considerable distance from the American one, and that through his compadre who works within Aerospace had worked out the odds of this happening due to the unmoving,unchanging, known orbit of the Russian satellite at over 2 trillion to one chance.......

That's a big number I tried to work out from there what this really means, my maths is not that strong on pure and odds etc... but I worked it out using hubbles law to of expansion and maybe a big crunch, even without the end of the sun before any such event.

This event should not have happened if those odds were correct in the suspected lifetime of the universe!

And the fact that a unmoving and unpowered satellite, takes out a NUMBER 33 (lol) American Military (owned) Satellite, the day that Iran launches its first satellite..... with those odds too..

JUST TOO MUCH for it to be as we are told.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by aleon1018

NASA = National Arab Satilite Assoc.! It could happen!!! Maybe not!

Zindo

[edit on 2/12/2009 by ZindoDoone]

Yeah I was thinking along those same lines. The best offense is a defense to stop the wild massive bank transfers out of country. Just knock that orbiting puppy out of space with another non-functioning one. That would sure convince the Russian's to slow down their production of oil.

[edit on 11/03/2008 by Skydancer]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join