It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's big idea: Digital health records

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Obama's big idea: Digital health records

money.cnn.com

President-elect Barack Obama, as part of the effort to revive the economy, has proposed a massive effort to modernize health care by making all health records standardized and electronic.
(visit the link for the full news article)

(The below link is to the other article I cited)

Related News Links:
www.newswithviews.com

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Total Reality]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
OK, the CNN article is pro-Obama propaganda (not that I'm anti-Obama, the article is clearly biased). Understand what this means for us if our health records are kept in a huge computerized database. It means that the government will have unlimited access to them. And one more thing, Obama thinks it would be OK to pass this law without Senate approval. I don't trust it whatsoever. Maybe the next step is to implant us with chips to make the process a little easier?

Here's part of another article, an opinion piece, about the plan and the use of microchips:

But even proponents of Obama's plan have mentioned that ensuring the privacy of patients' records in a nationalized computer network will be tricky. There are obvious concerns about hackers and system failures. And new online health record systems, such as Google Health are not currently subject to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, the national health privacy law.

“This is especially true when you consider the advocates of implementing a program using so-called ‘v-chips’ inserted into people and containing all their medical information. No one has said how much information will be contained in those implants. DNA? AIDS information?” asks political strategist Mike Baker.

“With so much information already being compromised within government security systems, how can Obama possibly promise confidentiality of such records?” he asks.

Although in five years the VeriChip Corp. — the US company creating microchip implants — has yet to turn a profit, it has been investing heavily — up to $8 million a year — to create new markets.

The company's executives have said their present push is the tagging of "high-risk" patients — diabetics and people with heart conditions or Alzheimer's disease.

Edit: A little more of the above article (mostly about microchipping):

As the polemic heats up, legislators are increasingly being drawn into the fray. Two states, Wisconsin and North Dakota, recently passed laws prohibiting the forced implantation of microchips in humans. Others states — Ohio, Oklahoma, Colorado and Florida — are studying similar legislation.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma legislators are debating a bill that would authorize microchip implants in people imprisoned for violent crimes. Many felt it would be a good way to monitor felons once released from prison.

Another drawback to microchip implants is the suspicion that they are linked to cancer in test animals. Opponents of human microchipping are concerned with the speed with which these chips received approval from the (FDA) US Food and Drug Administration. Opponents such as Dr. Albrecht believe the FDA approval has more to do with politics than medicine.

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Total Reality]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I thought records were supposed to be electronified anyways. Isn't that what HIPPA was about? If not, then this is HIPPA taken one more degree.

one of the problems in the medical community is that if you get sick in one place but go to another and need treatment, they don't have access to records or charts. And we all know that the medical community doesn't trust us with knowledge about our health.

But this kind of information exchange would be ideal, and has more benefitst then that.

they can catch doctors writing fraudulent prescriptions, or if a narcotics addict is "doctor shopping".

It may also help with insurance fraud.

i think this information could save a lot of grief and money.

Even e-records are protected under HIPPA, and non doctors cannot view them.

If the government really wanted to look at your records, they can call the hospital and have them emailed.

And I am sure there will be encryptian services in place so not just anyone can grab them.

In my area, my doctors are already tied into pharmacies, and other doctors in the area. My rheumy and ny pcp and the girly doc all have connections to each other.

it also helpd doctors network, so instead of each individual prognosing something, they can look at all information and get a more common prognosis.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

If it was kept to doctors and the medical community, I would agree.

But, I don't like the idea of the government or some government panel or numerous agencies everywhere having access to my medical records, my prescription history, or my doctor's notes on my treatment.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You have to have hard, paper, copies of all data.

Sort of off-topic, maybe, but A.J last night on his radio show stated all doctors are just going to be technicians in the near future.

4 year course, that's it.

Have computers/machines tell you what to do, basically.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The idea of electronic medical tracking is what is being implemented here...it will give access to any gov. agency that chooses to read your information. If you read the HIPPA contract you sign, I do believe there is a clause in there that states if any law enforcement/ie. government agency wishes they can still access your info. if they have a "legitimate" reason to.

HIPPA is NOT a guaranteed protection of your privacy.

Just another way for Big Brother to cull the herd!!

Open your eyes people...all means to an end have a beginning....this is IT.

~Holly

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I don't like the fact that the government could look at my private records. There are good things that could come from it of course but consider the other implications like that if they have access to our medical records, they could have control of our medical treatment, they could force us to get vaccinated, also the plan entails rationed health care for seniors. I just don't trust it.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This is an insight to my thinking.

There are lots of things that I agree with such as stem cells, electronic records, a paperless society, a world government, I agree with all those things.

But I would never push to implement any of it just for the simple fact that people are cruel and giving people power over you is not good for anyone.

Such as this electronic database for our medical records. It is a good idea I just don't trust the people that would run it.

Couple this with the universal health care stipulation slipped into the stimulus bill and you are nothing but a number to the government. The only thing that separates you from life and death is whether on not the treatment you need is cost effective.

Not the kind of society I want to live in.

edit - grammar

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

I agree, see in America people forget that everything is done with profits in mind that is the way greedy capitalism work.

So these digital records will be in the hands of private groups that will make money selling information to other groups, like insurance services that will be selling those records to anybody that will offer a good price.

That is how the good idea becomes a profitable corrupted idea and trust me we the consumer will be the losers as usual.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Tinfoil hat aside.

This would actually create jobs; if any of you know the litigation term of coding, then you know what I'm talking about. If the companies that are hired to do this keep a strict 'no outsourcing' type of contract and ensure all work is done domestically, it'll definitely keep some companies running and hiring of temp/stay at home moms/full time coders, wide variety.

Pros and cons in it, but we have to be real about the situation that it won't be perfect. And Pro-Tip, the govt already has access to any data they want and if they don't but really want it they can get it, ask the NSA. Ask any and all hackers/prodigies that are hired by them for these tasks. In the end if you believe that the government can't get what they want already is a bit naive.

*Well, can't really ask them but I was trying to make a point lol

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Riviera]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well thanks Riviera for bringing on the outsourcing it will be nice to know that some guy name Patel will be reading my health information in Bombay.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Total Reality

well maybe you are forgetting the fact that the government already has access to anything they want...

IS the true root of your concern the centralization of the info?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I don't see how anyone can be against this, it is actually incredible that in 2009 the hospitals in the U.S. are still using paper records. Time to update.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It is a sad commentary on our powers that be and as to how they can or may keep us dumbed down by 'using whatever means necessary' as being the quickest and cheapest.

Medications that don't react violently with our specific DNA and regulate and minimize class action law suits is first:

www.mtbeurope.info...

Socialized medicine rather than the current captialistic style abuses we have within our systems is also contributing to bankrupting our system we pay taxes for such as medicare and medicaid etc.

I foresee the day when our needs are met more accurately at the time of need as well through devices we once thought to 'only exist' in science fiction programs such as Star Trek.

As much as I distrust the government, the necessity to ensure our (species) best health and futures depends on our desires to change old systems.

It is also a sad thought that there may come a day when "the wheat will be seperated from the chaff" during some global event. But even so, with the best and quickest tests available, could still mean saving lives with the proper care.

Even soldiers dying in wars are determined through these ways as a fact of life and death. Complain all you want, but it won't change the real facts.

many civilizations have survived without the present types of medical treatments and they didn't sue anyone. Which doctors or witch doctors. IDK

I just watched a few videos on how MSG has been dumbing us down even before we were born. That crap is everywhere and under different names and ingredients.

[edit on 15-2-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Leto

It's the RFID medical chip made mandatory that would concern me.

That is the true gem of this administration... get us chipped.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yeah it will be really good for us to depend fully on computer/electronic medical records.I can see people scheduled for for one surgery recieving a different one,because of a computer glitch.

Hand written paper work in a hospital is extremly important for patient saftey.I don't want to trust my life to some fool with a blackberry.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

There seems to be two distinct sides to this issue and despite the potential benefits of having this information better automated, I think this entire process is very troubling.

HIPPA as it is practically implemented within an enterprise only ensures that documented safeguards exist around the data and information covered under HIPPA. It by no means provides for any assurance. Think about it in this context. Sarbanes/Oxley is a gem of legislation for which the US economy pumped close on $2Trillion into since its inception. Yet we are now confronted with a massive meltdown of firms who had SOX certified financials. Having a HIPPA certified environment should not give anyone any comfort.

Electronic records and centralized/uniform records are completely different things. I'm all for automation, but centralization is quite troubling.

Your doctor's comments should also cause you pause. Some of us have doctors we have had for years and who we have a relationship with. They are familiar with us and are not going to jump to some conclusion and notate that on a medical form. Coming into a doctor who does not know you when you are upset or distracted and he/she marks, "unstable" or "possible bi-polar" or something else on your form could well wind up in the hands of others and that is not a good thing.

This is information that could easily be linked with other things, particularily as we are in the process of nationalising banks and other portions of our society. How'd you like someone looking at your medical records when you apply for a loan or look to get a professional liscense, etc. Now I don't think this is likely and I'm not paranoid, but I would prefer that we not make it possible, rather than assume the information won't be misused.

Finally, there are services like this that you can sign-up for if you want to have readily mobile medical records. Google has something like that now. A service like that is terrific. I would never sign-up for it absent a very serious and chronic medical condition, but making it available is great.

I like my relationship with my doctors to be between me and my doctors. While there is certainly a potential for that relationship to be violated, I don't want to make it any easier to violate.

And if you think the government will do a great job automating this stuff, go check out motor vehicles and that is something they have had in their hands for 60 years.

Finally, if you think this material will be secure, just remember it could have been your medical records that Sandy Berger jammed down his pants to steal from the WH, not top secret documents.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I can see where Obama's plan would create jobs and lower some of the high costs of health care. With paper records, you will often see nurses carting around huge books with patients' charts. The use of electronic records will standardize and shorten the length of time it takes hospital staff to write their notes, and to keep them in a standardized order for easy reference.

I myself am not entirely comfortable with them, though. I like to have as much control as possible over who gets my records and which ones are sent. There's also the probability that once something is entered on a person's permanent records it can't be changed. So if one doctor writes "she's as nutty as a fruitcake" that could follow me forever and influence the way subsequent doctors treat me.

Then, hackers are a real threat. Think how easy it is for people to get ahold of social security numbers, credit card and other debts, etc.

Suppose an insurance company wants to see my medical records before I can get insurance from them, or have a claim honored, or have to pay a higher rate for it?

The idea is great; I'm just not sure about its execution.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Im pretty sure most are already electronic.
Hospitals etc.
He just wants to make them all that way.
Like small town Doctors.
Of course there will still need to be backup hard copy's of them.
But the problem in this is, the extra wording on the access part.
Im sure hes just putting this forward to include the accessing part.
Its probably part of the real id thing.
Currently in other country's there is no central database of them.
Only individual electronic versions at different places.
Why does he want a central database of them?
This is really scary.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The only reason I am for this idea is because it will create jobs, this will create a job I can do. One that will allow me to make good money doing something that I probably would enjoy doing.

Otherwise YEP this smacks of NWO and all that Jazz.

Hell give me the NWO if it means a better job.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join