It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Say No ... or Else You Get Cancer?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Just Say No ... or Else You Get Cancer?

abcnews.go.com

For the first time, researchers have linked frequent marijuana use to an increased risk of testicular cancer, according to an article published today in the journal Cancer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Let's see: a half-assed study, which "for the first time" proves a link between weed and cancer, magically surfaces days after a well-known and respected athlete is caught taking a bong hit. Hahaha. This study comes off as a last-ditch effort to completely obliterate any remaining hopes for the legalization of marijuana in the near-future... reefer madness anyone?

Seriously, there's hundreds of factors we could take into consideration as possible causes... how dare they announce such a devastating conclusion, especially when all they did was survey a ridiculously small group of test subjects? I can think of better questions to ask - do you sleep 7 or 8 hours? Do you masturbate 2 or 3 times a day? Do you drink coffee? Pepsi or coke? How many times have you been kicked in the testicles?

The real question, however, is why would anyone want to scare people from using marijuana - an herb with the potential of opening a user's mind, and forcing them to question their perception of reality or even authority?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The funny part will be when Michael Phelps is diagnosed with testicular cancer due to his steroid abuse. But we won't hear about the steroids, nay the weed.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Sounds pretty stupid, from what I can tell most of them drank and smoked. So like no...not even gonna buy that. Youd need only marijuana smokers who never drank alcohol or smoked cigarettes to do this study. Id say I was astounded at this recent publication but Id expect this type of bs from them. Medicinal Marijuanas on the rise and for the first time in history they say it gives you cancer.

They didnt even take into account wether it was THC or tar. I mean heck it could be the rolling papers for all they know. I hope tax payers didnt foot the bill for this waste of time and man power. I mean someone had to foot the bill for this bull and its a total waste the way they went about it. Unless of course this was the result they wanted to achieve.

This just in masturbation increases your risk of testicular cancer by 90%!

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Memysabu]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Too much cholesterol can give you a heart attack but I don't see a huge outcry over it.

Too much of anything isn't really good for you.

There is always a study out saying that too much of "this" may cause "this" or too little of "this" may cause "this."

Good for them....let's keep funding them millions to give us these awesome studies.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It's an act of desperation since most of their warnings (propaganda) have been ignored. Nothing they have said or done has had any effect in reducing the amount of people smoking pot. But if news spreads that if you smoke pot, you may lose your testicles... that could scare a good amount of male users. I guess one solution to the problem will be to cryogenically freeze semen for future use
... But seriously, if any marijuana user wants to regain some sanity:

Testicular cancer has one of the highest cure rates of all cancers: in excess of 90 percent; essentially 100 percent if it has not metastasized. Even for the relatively few cases in which malignant cancer has spread widely, chemotherapy offers a cure rate of at least 85 percent today. Not all lumps on the testicles are tumors, and not all tumors are malignant; there are many other conditions such as epididymal cysts, appendix testis (hydatid of Morgagni), and so on which may be painful but are non-cancerous.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 9-2-2009 by IlluminatiKarate]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Smoking marijuana has no effect whatsoever on the testicles. It just doesn't happen. It's a medical impossibility.

These "scientists" could disprove gravity if the government handed them a big enough check.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Well if this is true, I should only have one ball right now!

Seriously, what if all the participants in the study ate hamburgers or drank water? How exactly do they blame it on Ghanja?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Of course that is the result they wanted to achieve.

Marijuana was classed in the highest category of illegal drugs, meaning it has no medical value and is a detriment to society, in the 60's when those damned hippies were "making their stand".
It has remained that way even until this day and it will remain there until enough cops get tired of enforcing the laws.
The only things could link to the hippy movement was marijuana and lsd. While I agree that lsd is out there, I don't even think that IT should be any more illegal than booze.

The war on drugs was born out of the last revolution in this country, the hippy revolution, and it won't change until there is another revolution.

We have seen in recent years that they are laxing a bit on marijuana laws, at the local level, this is a precursor to another internal conflict. Let's just hope that this time it doesn't come at the cost of having martial law here in the states.

That last paragraph is probably lost on most of the readers here, but I'll just say this... The government doesn't want us to have drugs that will clear our mind of our anxieties... A calm mind is a dangerous mind to the prey that hopes your critical thinking skills are clouded with nonsense.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
For argument's sake, let's say that they are right and that marijuana can cause cancer. It's still a much safer alternative to alcohol, and I won't consider the USA a totally free country until the government stops trying to be my parent and stops telling me what I can or can't do with my body. I live by the golden rule, and if what I'm doing is doing no harm to anyone else, I'm going to friggin' do it.

edit - grammar

[edit on 2/9/2009 by Curious_Agnostic]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

"There's been very little research done on marijuana use and its association with cancer risk," said Janet Daling

I just love that bit. Well actually, there have been quite a few studies, all sanctioned and funded by the federal government, which in turn suppressed the results when the figures supported the fact that cannabis is not harmful.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
So that is how Phelps did it...he lowered his drag coefficient in the water by having no balls.

Since Obama smoked a lot does that mean he has no balls either?

I mean Clinton didn't inhale, so other than wasting it, he proved this study to be true because boinking a fat chick in the same house that your wife, and what a wife, lives in; definitely took some balls.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I think is may be more about this than Michael Phelps:

"I do expect him to appoint an administrator who takes marijuana less seriously than is traditional for the DEA, as I think most Americans do," said Heymann.

Heymann said he expects the Obama administration will eventually instruct the DEA to emphatically scale back raids on dispensaries, and conduct such raids only in instances where investigators believe a business is abusing the dispensary system as a cover for other criminal behavior.

So last week's raids in California may be the last of their kind.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
well.. if this is true, I should be dead by now in that my last 2 years in high school was all a high.....seriously.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is definitely the last stand. The people up top are getting worried.

You have this study done with no real scientific control and without proper scientific procedures, a glorified phone-survey

and then you have REAL studies, like this

THC induces apoptosis (cell death) in cancer cells
mcr.aacrjournals.org...

www.druglibrary.org...
Showing that there is no substantial evidence for carcinogenic properties of THC

and dozens of others that prove just the opposite.

Oh pharmaceutical companies, tobacco and alcohol industries, and other worried govt/lobbyists, your time has come

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I just remembered, they tried this before. The last time it was shrinkage, not cancer. At least that's what they told me back in my high school health class.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks

"There's been very little research done on marijuana use and its association with cancer risk," said Janet Daling

I just love that bit. Well actually, there have been quite a few studies, all sanctioned and funded by the federal government, which in turn suppressed the results when the figures supported the fact that cannabis is not harmful.

I didnt even think about that when I read it but yeah. Theyve done countless studies trying to find something bad about it for their bs ads on TV. All this time and all the studies and their still stuck with crap like be above the influence. I dont remember one time I was forced into smoking weed or asked to smoke it. Ive been smoked around plenty of times and never once did my friends even ask me to try it.

Most of them go out of their way to not smoke it around people who dont smoke. I mean they dont exactly want outsiders around illegal activity. Youd have to go out of your way to find people who try and get their friends to try it.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
More backwater stupid studies attempting to criminilize a very usefull plant. This is ridiculous, I think that this point, it's not even about the drugs effect, it's about all of the other industries that would crash if MJ was made legal.

If you think about it, we can do almost anything with hemp, from clothing, to medicine, to oils for plastics and a plethora of other things. The industries that like to F us in the A on a regular basis would be downright mauled if this product was available to grow and commercialize in the US or any other Western Country.

They know that eventually there will be NO reason to keep this plant illegal, for medical and for practical purposes, so they're pulling out every Ace in the hole they have to prolong the passing of that legislation.

Sad....Very Sad..

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Oh, the government could do something with it. They could add agents to it in order to make it addictive...
Then they would simply sell it like they do cigarettes.
Two problems though - 1)People get contemplative when they use it; 2) People are more apt to protest the fact that they are working more and more hours for less and less pay + more taxation...

If this thing continues to become less and less regulated at the local level, but not at the federal level concurently, you will see another "hippy movement" that the Gov. will have to squash... Comes at a bad time, like everything else in the State of our Union, 2009.
Maybe something is amiss.

<<   2 >>

join