It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Deserter Receives German Peace Prize

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

A US army deserter claiming asylum in Germany due to his moral opposition to the war in Iraq is set to scoop a peace prize, a US activist group said Friday.

The whole article can be found here

IMO this man does not deserve any award. When he joined the army he agreed to serve his country. What are your opinions?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well, does defending and serving your country sooth your consience when you realize you are invading a sovereign country?
I was in the German forces and I would voluntarily be on the front line when it comes to defending our country or giving humanitarien aid, but if we would start a war in another country, then I'ld probably be the first one 'shot' for walking home!

My above opinion does in no way compromise my respect for the brave soldiers who are serving their country (incl. those in Iraq).

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
One should be able to serve his or her country at all opportunities but it does not mean invading countries or bombing civilians, to blindly follow orders of higher-ups in society who at this point in history have proven themselves to be some of the worst criminals and saboteurs of humanity and progress.

Many soldiers (excluding the bloodthirsty maniacs) sign up thinking they will defend their country but they do not expect to be shipped overseas on offensives.

And now with the manufactured monetary crisis a lot will be joining up the Military in desperation for food on the table. The military will always have money for everyone... As long as you subscribe

The recent wars that the US/Canada/UK/Australia have fought for had nothing to do with freedom or security.

It was about expanding the empire but to the chagrin of the PTB it will not to be.

Yes Ironic that Germany is offering peace prizes but I expect they have learned a lot since Hitler, they know who the modern-day Hitlers are and they can see through them.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

I do agree with you. I do not support this "war on terror" and definately don't support the Iraq war but this man signed up for this. This has to be horrible for the morale of the soldiers fighting.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wethesheeple

A US army deserter claiming asylum in Germany due to his moral opposition to the war in Iraq is set to scoop a peace prize, a US activist group said Friday.

This is what it boils down to for me: morals.
Good on the man that doesn't follow like a sheep. Yeah he signed up to the army but not to get into any darkside stuff like the Iraq war is.
Just because there is paper saying he isn't allowed to leave doesn't mean he doesn't have a choice(ahem) to do whatever he wants when he wants.... the fact that he uses his morals, which seem admirable, to guide him is a great example to the rest of humanity.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aldolas
Well, does defending and serving your country sooth your consience when you realize you are invading a sovereign country?

Yea, but this logic overlooks how #ty of a leader Saddam was..

I was in the German forces and I would voluntarily be on the front line when it comes to defending our country or giving humanitarien aid, but if we would start a war in another country, then I'ld probably be the first one 'shot' for walking home!

War is no longer the German way... Germany has effectively wussed out... God help the germans if anyone ever invades them.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gun Slinger
[1]Yea, but this logic overlooks how #ty of a leader Saddam was..

[2]War is no longer the German way... Germany has effectively wussed out... God help the germans if anyone ever invades them.

@ 1: Well, Saddam would never have been there if the USA hadn't put him there and officially the war had nothing to do with Saddam, it had to do with the WMD that were never there!

@ 2: Germany just happens to have grown out of launching attacks against foreign countries and only uses it's troops for peacekeeping. And the quality of their job shows on how many attacks there are on the peacekeeping troops in the German areas and how many attacks there are on areas of certain other countries' troops in the same country....
And as to anyone invading Germany, who?

We are surrounded by allies and don't make any enemies anywhere else.
And now that's what I call a good political move.
(Not saying that the German Nanny State is any better than other countries and there are a lot of political issues I don't agree with, but that's another story for a different thread!)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I applaud this soldier.

If the rest of the soldiers in Iraq would do this, there would be no war at all!

We should be sending aid and humanitarian effort to Iraq, not weapons!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wethesheeple

Do you have a link to this?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hardeeboy

yes take a look at my first post. click the link

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The guy gets an award for being a coward?

This is a great day for cowards everywhere!

I can just hear his acceptance speech now..... "Today I consider myself the luckiest coward on the face of the earth".....my apoligies to Lou Gehrig

top topics

join