It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-war lawmakers worry over plan for Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Anti-war lawmakers worry over plan for Afghanistan

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – After campaigning on the promise to end one war, President Barack Obama is preparing to escalate another.

Obama's dual stance on the two wars is not lost on congressional Democrats, many of whom also ran on anti-war platforms. In coming weeks, they expect to have to consider tens of billions of dollars needed for combat, including a major buildup of troops in Afghanistan.

While increasing the military's focus in Afghanistan was anticipated — it was a cornerstone of Obama's campaign — many Democrats acknowledged in recent interviews that they are skittish about sending more troops, even in small numbers.

The concern, they say, is that the military could become further entrenched in an unwinnable war on their watch.

"Before I support any more troops to Afghanistan, I want to see a strategy that includes an exit plan," said Rep. Jim McGovern, a Massachusetts liberal who at one point wanted to cut off money for the Iraq war.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Those lawmakers are correct. I fear that Obama will make the war in Afghanistan worse by escalating the fight by sending in more troops. Reminds me of Nixon who promised to end the war, but instead escalated it. Obama could be the next Nixon who thinks that he can deal with the situation but instead could last many more years than it should. Having more troops on the ground doesn't solve problems, military solution is not an option! Obama should have known that! Give in to Taliban's demands and they will leave us alone. After all we invaded Afghanistan in the first place, the Taliban didn't invade the U.S.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join