It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US dismay as 'father' of Pakistan A-bomb freed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

US dismay as 'father' of Pakistan A-bomb freed

www.guardian.co.uk

The US and Britain have reacted angrily after AQ Khan, the Pakistani scientist accused of selling nuclear secrets, was freed from five years of house arrest in a court ruling in Islamabad.

Khan, lionised as the "father" of Pakistan's nuclear bomb, confessed in 2004 to selling nuclear secrets to Iran, North Korea and Libya. He was immediately pardoned by Pakistan but confined to his home under heavy guard. His freedom appears to have been won through a secret deal with the government, which was sanctified by the court.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I'm not suprised US/UK are angry, this guy admitted selling nuclear secrets to all our enemies, and Pakistan are supposed to be an ally.

I think that the powers that be will use this as part of their justification for going into Pakistan at some point soon. We are already sending in drones, but when the Pakistan government is totally corrupt, and probably controlled by the ISI, it's going to take more than that.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/2/2009 by RubberBaron]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Hold up for a moment.
How is making a nuclear bomb, a secret?
Any nuclear physicist knows how to make one.
Most scientists have the base knowledge to make a nuclear weapon.
I fail to see how it is a secret.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by BorgHoffen

There are a great many fine point throughout purification of the fissible materials and beyond these design issues that are not as straight forward as you may image looking at declassified photos and texts from the Manhattan project.

Also, if these groups are aiming for a thermonuclear device the work level goes up, its not just tossing in a bit of tritium.

May I suggest you utilize WIKIPEDIA to get a sense of some of the issues one would encounter which are too numerous to go through in this post.

Knowing the theory of a self-progagating fission reaction of U-235 or Pu-239 is quite different from the practical side of developing a MATURE device.

Again, this is worthy of its own thread but get started with WIKI.

Most engineers given time could build a car but would if be a very good car and would it fare.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RubberBaron

Someone will be waiting to poison him no doubt. A group whose intelligence agency in the most adept in the artform of poisons of any in the world who would not desire dissemination.

new topics

top topics

join