It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Society Would you Choose or Create?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This is a hypothetical question so use as much imagination as possible.

Lets say the government has given us a choice.
If you had the choice to be a part of the current system or had the choice of not being a part of it.
If you say no you don't want to be a part of it then you will not have to pay taxes but will not recieve any of those benefits that taxpayers get.
You do get the choice of how you want to live and how your new society makes its rules.

So what do you choose and how do you think it should be?
What would your new rules be??
What would you make for laws??
How would you run it??

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Frankly... I would choose neither. I would choose abundance where there is no need of money to begin with. How to get there is the subject of a book I wrote, but I am told that I cannot ask for anyone who would like to read this story of mine to send me their email via U2U.

So I will not ask. EDIT to add: No need now. See My Sig.

The book is written with the steps laid out in the framework of a story (not dry and boring!), and I think THAT would be the better step.

But if I had to choose... I would "get off the grid" as it were. I would not support the leaching of funds to pay first the leachers to then have the remainder handed back to me. VERY inefficient.

[edit on 2/6/2009 by Amaterasu]

[edit on 2/6/2009 by Amaterasu]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Maybe the third time is the charm.You have pitched me twice already.
I'll take the time and read it and get back to you.
I might have to do it later tonight as I don't have all the time I need right now to sit thru a book without interference.
I'll read it then reply.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

So government has given us a choice !

I`m interested in "emergent systems" , with bottom up organisation, as opposed the top down variety we are all accustomed to .

There often is a disconnection between discision makers and those that have to live with the decisions , once you reach a certain critical mass of people.
There is nothing more dangerous than thinking ...... `someone else is looking after it `.

Of course i`m just chucking some bald ideas out there
, but i`m sure we can all agree that people need to feel a certain "ownership" in any decision making process.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

I agree people need to feel an ownership in a decision in order to feel accountable on a personal level.
Can you give me an example of an emergent system or situation that would better explain what you mean in a more detailed fashion??
The concept sounds interesting.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

It was a while ago , but i read a fantastic book by Steven Johnson called Emergence: The Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software.

It examines all sorts of systems of organisation , from the natural world of ant colonies , river deltas , root networks of trees , neural networks of the brain etc etc ...... through to the spontaneous organisation of cities (before planning authorities) and even the virtual world of the SIM`S and other more modern examples of organisation `emerging` out of use and sheer necessity.

The remarkable thing is that they show a striking similarity to one another.

The systems that survive are those that simplify over time or that at least don`t exhibit run away complexity.
Perhaps we could allow some of these concepts influence how we govern/ organise our social systems ........ perhaps !

I hope i did the concept justice there ....

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Well, now it's here! Online! No need for emails! Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Thanks!

new topics

top topics

join