It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

keyless devices disabled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Thought this was a bit interesting. Military? Pranksters? Who knows.

www.wavy.com...

Something was in the air this week around downtown and Olde Towne that temporarily disabled keyless car entry devices.

For a several hours on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, some vehicle owners were forced to open their cars and trucks the old-fashioned way - with keys.

"It affected all the cars on the lot," said Larry Preddy, manager of Action Cadillac GMC Truck on High Street.

Action's repair department was busy Tuesday and Wednesday with customers seeking to get their keyless device s repaired. Tests, however, showed that they were not broken, nor were the batteries dead.

On Monday, several police detectives could not use their keyless devices while downtown, either, police spokeswoman Jan Westerbeck said.

Faye Timm, an Olde Towne resident, said, "It was very strange when my remote wouldn't work.

"I hadn't been without it for a long time, then I remembered, 'I can use my key.' "

E-mails that circulated among Olde Towne residents Wednesday indicated that at least 15 residents experienced the same problem.

No one's been able to pinpoint the source of the interference.

"We weren't doing anything this week that would have even remotely contributed to that," said Steve Milner, spokesman for the Norfolk Naval Shipyard near downtown Portsmouth.

"Whatever it was - electromagnetic, radar, sonar, microwave - it took everybody out at the same time," Preddy said.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Welcome to the new world order of
chaos..........................................

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Wasn't there something similar to this on 9/11
What else would do this anyway? Is this part of an anti theft system being disabled or hacked?I would be glad it only effected my keyless remote. I think these cars on 9/11 had to be towed?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Most likely is that someone was using that particular radio bandwidth and thus jamming the signal. Could be pranksters, or someone illegally broadcasting on that frequency.

Funny how people freak when they cant use a clicker to open their doors.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Yeah, that's what I think, too. Probably some guy experimenting in his basement with this stuff, or maybe some pranksters who wanted to mess around with the community.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
That is definitely not new, the entire Tidewater area is one giant MIL Zone. You have every Branch of the MIL nearby, and plenty of Testing, Development, and Full-on Action goes on in the area.

I even remember some time ago, when everyone in Las Vegas Valley began to experience Garage Doors that Opened and Closed on their own, Cars that Sounded their Alarms at Random, and Remote-Entry Locks that Engaged and Dis-Engaged at will lol.

Typically, ELF Transmissions will interfere with Compasses and other Devices.

BTW, this is the second time that I recall such an incident occurring within the Past Two Months, in the Same Location no less.

top topics

join