It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive job losses: Look At These Numbers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
We all see the massive layoffs by the big companies. Here are the numbers for January for the smaller businesses. The numbers look grim for Feb as well.

(CNNMoney.com) -- For the 12th consecutive month, small businesses made deep staffing cuts: Companies with 500 or fewer workers cut 430,000 positions in January, according to the latest ADP (ADP, Fortune 500) employment report, released Wednesday.

Small employers are typically the last to cut jobs and the first to create them, which makes January's job-loss numbers a worrying omen for the rest of the year. Joel Prakken, chairman of ADP's research partner, Macroeconomic Advisers, doesn't expect improvement any time soon.

money.cnn.com...

Here also is a link to check daily who is laying off.

articles.moneycentral.msn.com...

Job market could remain bleak for years!

Even if Congress and the White House can agree on a huge program of fresh spending and tax cuts to get the economy going again, it could take years to create enough new jobs to hire the idle workers back and keep up with the ongoing growth in the labor force, economists say.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 5-2-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
After the layoffs & furloughs & cutbacks by the whole spectrum of businesses...

then comes actual business or company failures & closings as businesses
close the doors as they cannot afford the storefronts or the industrial park
storage spaces to operate from.

Former business owners may become stock clerks or repairmen in the back of the GoodWill Industry locations... making $7hr & glad for it.

Another thing that will be 'cut' are the credit card limits...
most all the Platinum & lower, major-credit-cards, will limit the holder to
somewhere near $500 week limit and a $1,500Max with a Zero Month
carryover.

i think the welfare programs and the credit cards are the thin-plastic membrane keeping the mass protests we are seeing around the world at bay... but not-yet in the USA

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Hopefully when the government realizes that the economy can't support them anymore they will start cutting their spending.

The economy as we know it is in a downward spiral right now. There is no end until faith is restored into the system which might be hard at this point.

However the U.S. still has tremendous natural wealth. Maybe the downfall of the Fed centered economy will be a good thing.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

Thats the problem, the elite want control of the natural wealth of our country.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

You said something there which rings very true to me. Until we see the war of attrition claiming 20-25% or more of all retail stores nationwide, this recession/depression/whatthehelleveritis hasn't bottomed out yet. Once again I am mystified by how such a mind boggling number of layoffs can be announced in the morning and the stock market goes up for that day. It is right up there with betting on the Lions to win the Super Bowl next year. It simply evades common sense and logic.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Once again I am mystified by how such a mind boggling number of layoffs can be announced in the morning and the stock market goes up for that day. It is right up there with betting on the Lions to win the Super Bowl next year. It simply evades common sense and logic.

This happens because stock holders see that the company is cutting losses or increasing profits. I know it's BS....but that's how it is.

Seeing people make money off of people losing their jobs, it's disgusting.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

It's called "pump and dump", or "buy the rumour, sell the news". Today's rally was on the potential for the stimulus bill to pass this week. If it passes tomorrow the market will sell off in a frenzy and if it doesn't pass, the market will sell off in a frenzy.

It's just more market #-ery.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
We can always join the military if times get really tough.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Excellent Post!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Last night, I heard more statistics and said "This is ridiculous. There's no way that all these people are going to get jobs. There just aren't enough, it's not about looking anymore..."

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

and with that you have discovered the real reason all this was planned ,just so the the fat Elites can now just sit back and play war and selling war to us , beats having to come up with more and better products and producing them , all the research, development ,all the jobs all the payroll all the factories and stores

war is free to fund and supply, the soldiers pay for it all , but PTB get all the money!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I just updated my thread with this article.

Even if Congress and the White House can agree on a huge program of fresh spending and tax cuts to get the economy going again, it could take years to create enough new jobs to hire the idle workers back and keep up with the ongoing growth in the labor force, economists say.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
another link for daily layoff information

Layoff Daily

Today's total about 43K jobs lost

Now listing who is hiring too!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Here's something interesting...
www.forextv.com...,FED

State Unemployment Websites Crash as Jobless Claims Continue to Soar
02/05/09 09:49 am (EST)

(CEP News) - U.S. jobless claims soared above expectations on Thursday, and confirmed the worst is not yet over for the U.S. labor market. Paul Ashworth, economist at Capital Economics, said the rise in initial jobless claims from 591,000 to 626,000 for the week ending Jan. 31 - the highest level since 1982 - "suggests that labour market conditions are still deteriorating."

He expects that 550,000 job losses for the whole month of January will be revealed in tomorrow's government nonfarm payrolls report.

Ian Pollick, economist at TD Securities, said one of the most disturbing aspects of the release was that California, Ohio, New York and North Carolina all reported their online claims sites crashed, "suggesting that this already weak number could have been even worse."

"With state benefit websites crashing due to overcapacity we believe that the risk for next week's jobless claims could be higher yet," he said.

Overall, continuing claims now sit at 4.788 million.

John Ryding, economist at RDQ Economics, said today's report will put additional political pressure on Washington to pass President Barack Obama's proposed $890 billion stimulus plan. U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, in an interview with the Wall Street Journal, said he will reveal the outline of his financial plan next week, promising aggressive action.

Tomorrow will see the release of the key U.S. government nonfarm payrolls report. Economists expect that 540,000 jobs were lost in January, after 524,000 jobs were cut in December.

On a positive note, economists at Nomura said even though over 600,000 jobless claims haven't been reported since 1982, it can't be forgotten that, at the time, the workforce was much smaller.

They said layoffs would have to surpass 900,000 to match the kind of damage wreaked in the early 80s. "As bad as the job market is - and is likely to become - we haven't matched the weakness of the 1981-82 recession," they said.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by Dbriefed]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I think these numbers are going to be low, because not all of the layoffs are eligible for unemployment.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029
We can always join the military if times get really tough.

Funny you should say that....I posted this thread back in January of 2008 and nobody seemed to even think twice about what I was getting at.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I wonder if it makes sense now?

top topics

join