It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

what is a trillion?

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Today I just caught something on TV which was talking about US debt.

They where talking about figures of Trillions and the gentleman was trying to explain what a trillin is

1 million seconds = 11.57 days
1 billion seconds = 31.7 years
1 trillion seconds =31,688 years 269 days 17 hours 34 minutes 25 seconds.

He also gave the example,
If you spent 1 million dollars a day from the time of Jesus, you would have only spent around 3/4 of a trillion dollars

Currently the US debt clock is roughly
$9,552,525,600,000

Does anyone think that this debt could ever be paid off?




posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
It's a million, million and for the record it's my goal to be the first USD Trillionaire in history
John Rockefeller was worth $330 billion or $330 000 million (inflation adjusted) so even the richest person in history could not have afforded to pay for the first bailout.

I was googling and found this, look at that debt climb


thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com...

[edit on 5-2-2009 by Jacob08]



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Another anology......

Take a stack of $1000 (thousand) dollar bills.

IF it is worth $1 Million, the stack is 4 inches tall

IF it is worth $1 Billion, the stack is 4000" tall or (4000/12) 333ft tall

If it is worth $ 1 Trillion, the stack is (333x1000)/ 5280(ft/mile) 63 miles high



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I'll attempt to explain it in plain English.

A trillion dollars is a S#iT load of money. Enough so that no one in the world should be starving or homeless. But because governments are too greedy to help even their own people, people all over the world are dying of curable illnesses, malnutirtion and due to lack of shelter.

The U.S gives Israel about 15million every day which they spend on weapons. If they spent that money on food instead, no one in America would be poor and the rest of the world would have enough food for everyone. And there would be less fat people.



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Jacob08
 
i thought rocky was worth around 11,000,000,000,000 (11 trillion)

and rothy worth around 100 trillion

friendfeed.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by lycopersicum
 


Yeah I could be wrong. I got that figure from wikipedia and didn't check other sources to see if it was correct.

en.wikipedia.org...



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Obliterated
I'll attempt to explain it in plain English.

A trillion dollars is a S#iT load of money. Enough so that no one in the world should be starving or homeless. But because governments are too greedy to help even their own people, people all over the world are dying of curable illnesses, malnutirtion and due to lack of shelter.

The U.S gives Israel about 15million every day which they spend on weapons. If they spent that money on food instead, no one in America would be poor and the rest of the world would have enough food for everyone. And there would be less fat people.





Except :
Money doesn't solve everything.



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

Currently the US debt clock is roughly
$9,552,525,600,000

Does anyone think that this debt could ever be paid off?

It will be paid off, but there is no consensus on when. The debt is being paid off by the rate of $1 per second, and the scientists say that it will be paid off entirely around the Year of Our Lord 31888 A.D. -- providing that the debt will not increase with time. But since the debt is growing faster than it's being paid off, the zero debt will occur in the Year of Our Lord INFINITY A.D.
Better late than never, right? Financial civility & decorum are expected.



posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinktip
Another anology......
Take a stack of $1000 (thousand) dollar bills.
IF it is worth $1 Million, the stack is 4 inches tall
IF it is worth $1 Billion, the stack is 4000" tall or (4000/12) 333ft tall
If it is worth $ 1 Trillion, the stack is (333x1000)/ 5280(ft/mile) 63 miles high


umm... your math is wrong... I think.

The ~ thickness of a One Dollar Bill is .004 (actually slightly bigger, but the math is a little easier if we round down a hair).

Let's stack 1 Dollar Bills:
One ($1) = .004"
Thousand ($1,000) = 4"
Million ($1,000,000) = 4,000" or 333.3'
Billion ($1,000,000,000) = 4,000,000" or 333,333.3' or 63.1 miles
Trillion ($1,000,000,000,000) = 4,000,000,000" or 333,333,333.3'
... or, get ready ...

63,131.3 MILES

The Earth has a circumference of 24,901.5 miles... that means 1 Trillion Dollars in a stack of 1 Dollar Bills laid on it's side would go around the glode, roughly 2.5 times.

I hope my math is correct... please feel free to assist me in any errors.

Have a blessed day,
kmkenpo



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join