It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does music brainwash people?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Last night me and some friends were at the bar talking about conspiracy theories. My friend brought up the subject that he thinks music brainwashes people into thinking, feeling, and acting certain ways. We got into a debate about it because I feel that even though music has an influence on people's emotions I don't think that it's brainwashing. I told him the reason music has an impact on people is because people relate to the music with their emotions. He then went on to say that they feel that way because the music is brainwashing people. I don't believe music brainwashes people, although undeniably, it does have a large impact on most people. I would like to see what all of you who are or aren't musicians think about this so called "brainwashing" conspiracy.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Funny seeing this thread.

After doing a bit of looking around here this morning I started humming John Lennon's song Revolution in my head, wondering which of two threads to post up a youtube video of it in!

LOL! I suppose you could call that brainwashing...............Or perhaps more of tying an emotion to a song. Not sure, but to a large degree IMO Music is Very Powerful.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Brainwashing is a very strong word. I know music can affect mood, but I don't think it is capable of brainwashing.
Brainwashing usually happens to convert someone into a drastically new or different way of thinking and is usually coerced.
Now days people usually choose the music they listen to, so although it may have some effect on them, it is not brainwashing.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sdtietge

I believe ya'll may have been on to something. The music that is often playing in clothing stores at the mall tend to always be upbeat perky music- which is fine, I don't want to hear depressing music when I have to go try on clothes
but when I did work at one retailer, the manager told me that the certain mixes they play make people more inclined to spend more time in the store and buy more merchandise. Truth to it? I am not sure, but it sure does create an atmosphere of people laughing and being more relaxed and saying "why not" when it comes to a pair of ridiculously priced pants!!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
i think it does in a way.

Country music lovers...look and dress a certain way

Rappers do the same

Rocker's do the same.

list goes on and on.

I think's it's more of the so and so is doing it and looks cool so they do it too.
sheeple factor basicaly.

But i have had my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard....in my head for years for no reason..and i am a guy lol..try explaining to people why you singing that song lol

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Thoughts are vibrations. Music is vibrations. Some thoughts, possibly, vibrate at similar frequencies to some music.

You do the math

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well I'm a musician and I play from my heart. I just don't understand how playing from my heart would brainwash anyone.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I don't think music is brainwashing people, but I do think that the "Musicians" are being used to keep us distracted with useless pop-culture crap like ringtones, i-tunes, facewash, pepsi etc etc. I mean, The Poperattzi is a billion dollar industry of stalkers and perverts who try and keep us interested in meager, bland, and flat-out retarded people, keeping normal people a way from news and info that should be important and useful to everyone.

Do they really think I care if Lindsy Lohan is a lesbian, or what Britney Spears does when she's with her kids? Not really.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdtietge
Well I'm a musician and I play from my heart. I just don't understand how playing from my heart would brainwash anyone.

Of course you intend to influence people when you play, especially if you play form the heart.

When you play are you not projecting a part of yourself?

Do you not hope to connect with someone and influence what they think or feel?

I agree with Slicobacon, brainwashing brings to mind a negative response and may be a bit strong for the point that the OP is trying to make.

Music doth have charm to soothe the savage beast and it is no mistake that the military uses it in their basic training.

Music is a powerful stimulus for the brain.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
In a way yes, as I think almost every form of media does a little bit of brainwashing. Watch the Obamas do that hand tap and now you see other people doing it. Watch something on TV (lets take for example wrestling) then you have other people doing it (Back yard wrestling). So in a way yep, music and other forms are really a way to influence someone.

now excuse me I must listen to some songs and try to play them on my guitar, as music got me into wanting to learn how to play an instrument.

new topics

top topics

join